Author Topic: A list of unpleasant characteristics of fruit?  (Read 3115 times)

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: A list of unpleasant characteristics of fruit?
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2021, 08:34:29 AM »
As with most fruits, the selected variety can be important.  Feijoas vary greatly in size and flavor.  Most of the Edenvale varieties like Edenvale late, Improved Coolidge (selected by Frank Serpa), are excellent if you can still find them.  Triumph and Mammoth from New Zealand have excellent flavor and quite large.  So many feijoas are seedlings and of ornamental value only.  The selected varieties are worth getting.

I have been drying Hachiya persimmons for backpacking and found that the drying process eliminates the astringency, and they are easier to slice when firm, not jelly-like. 

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2021, 03:17:48 PM »
Interesting info about the Velvet Apple, pineislander! A cheesy smell would definitely be off-putting to me, but I'm sure I could get past it, now knowing it doesn't mean the fruit has gone bad.

Any downside to Caimito?

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2021, 08:44:02 AM »
Latex from store bought jackfruit, I've had to throw away cutting boards because of it. I love the taste, it's just not worth the trouble.

do it the asian street vender way. plastic shopping bag for your cutting board. cut in half. use a second plastic shopping bag to wipe the latex off. done. use a knife you dont like. easy peesy.

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2021, 08:45:21 AM »
Polypterus: do you use oil when cleaning Jackfruit? I always have a bowl of coconut oil on the table when I clean Jackfruit, and constantly dip my hands and wipe down the knife blade as I clean. I also just work on newspaper that I throw away when done.

johnb51: yes! Astringent persimmons, horrible! Worse than watery avocados, which are bad too.

Here's another fruit I want to but haven't tried:

Pawpaw--my girlfriend says they can have a funk to them

if you get latex on your hands from the jackfruit just rub your hands in a bag of rice. cleans the gunk off easy.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2021, 09:30:48 AM »
The rinds of garcinias (achacha and others) can have a bitter taste??? Make sure not to bite into one without removing the rind first.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2021, 06:40:01 AM »
Thanks, Jaboticaba45!

We recently tried Blue Grape (Myrciaria vexator). The skin was super thick (great for preventing fruit flies from infecting the fruit). The flesh was minimal, very mild, and stuck to the seed/s. A bit of work for little reward, but a pretty plant that will have a place in our yard.

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2021, 12:20:48 PM »
No mention of Durian so far?

shilohtech

• USA, Hawaii/Oahu, Mililani, 12a
    • View Profile
    • Grow Tropical Fruits Youtube Page
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2021, 02:36:18 PM »
No mention of Durian so far?

Durians are amazing. So I guess the spikes on the outside are unpleasant, plus the fact they fall from tall trees and can kill you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk