Author Topic: 2022 Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order  (Read 23265 times)

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
Re: 2022 Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2022, 05:01:03 AM »
Bill,

sent you an email and a pm here in the group
about joining in the order
Thanks,
P J Campagna

P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

bill_bayarea

• Campbell, Santa Clara County, CA 95008, plant zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2022, 12:26:55 PM »
Bill,

sent you an email and a pm here in the group
about joining in the order
Thanks,
P J Campagna

Replied, please let me the varieties and qty you like to order.

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2022, 11:21:44 PM »
In two more days, after the pending inquiries are clarified, we are going to stop taking new orders.

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2022, 10:43:40 AM »
Folks, we have decided to stop taking new orders.
The export company in China has confirmed the payment has been received for 550 trees.
They are working on the tree export application document.

By the way, I talked to one custom broker in SFO yesterday and got a rough idea that once the trees are shipped to SFO,
it will take about three days to pass the custom inspection.
  Day1: Arrival, broker gets transfer stamp from USDA
  Day2: Broker picks up the trees to USDA located in South San Francisco
  Day3: Inspection and Release, the broker arranges the delivery or I go to pick up.

Here is the cost estimation.
 ISC $100
 Entry $225.00
 Bonded Airport Transfer $300
 Duty/Taxes at cost
 Airline terminal fee $169.50
 Delivery fee based on the addaddress for delivery cost.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 11:35:26 AM by bill_bayarea »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2022, 12:10:03 PM »
You rock Bill!

I recommend you discuss with seller doing close inspection on trees before shipping. Last order, they were held and fumigated, which likely led to much loss from stress and extended time bare-rooted.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2022, 12:16:44 PM »
For socal buyers, can the pick up point be somewhere in orange area instead of LAX please?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2022, 02:10:55 PM »
How many tree’s will be packed and shipped , shipped bare root? and how many driven to LA?
By having the tree’s sit at USDA for 3 days is a red flag concern that all logistics have not been fully planned or considered. There may be more planning and prep going on behind the scenes than is discussed on this thread, alot has to come together in a short amount of time upon arrival.
The plants should be picked up the day they arrive or following day at the latest.
If 25% of the order has to be shipped that’s 100+ tree’s to pack and ship on day 4 of bare root in the US and however many days to the destination, so likely 7 days bare root in the US alone not counting the bare root days in transit from China. Post arrival is all about timing and coordination and all hands on deck for this high dollar bare root operation.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2022, 02:52:44 PM »
I would be more than willing to pony up for a few bags of shpagnum moss to put them on and ship if you are amenable Bill

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2022, 03:42:43 PM »
Please update on the point of contact and location for pickup at LAX area?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2022, 06:44:43 PM »
My name is Joe and am planning on making the drive up and picking up my order and anyone else who would like me to do so for the SoCal. I live in El Segundo near LAX. I have 4 Yangmei trees that survived the first order and are now planted in my front yard. I plan on taking the day off work and driving the same day the trees are released and become available. If you would like me to pick up your order please email me your name and complete order and Ill put it on spreadsheet to keep track of orders.

JJKanach@gmail.com
Joe

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2022, 07:21:56 PM »
How many tree’s will be packed and shipped , shipped bare root? and how many driven to LA?
By having the tree’s sit at USDA for 3 days is a red flag concern that all logistics have not been fully planned or considered. There may be more planning and prep going on behind the scenes than is discussed on this thread, alot has to come together in a short amount of time upon arrival.
The plants should be picked up the day they arrive or following day at the latest.
If 25% of the order has to be shipped that’s 100+ tree’s to pack and ship on day 4 of bare root in the US and however many days to the destination, so likely 7 days bare root in the US alone not counting the bare root days in transit from China. Post arrival is all about timing and coordination and all hands on deck for this high dollar bare root operation.

"By having the tree’s sit at USDA for 3 days is a red flag concern that all logistics have not been fully planned or considered."

3 days are required to pass through USDA inspection per the broker I talked to. We need to allow the trees arrive on the first day, and be released on another day.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 10:45:53 PM by bill_bayarea »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2022, 10:43:00 PM »
Anyone in the Socal area who would be willing to keep the trees (1-2) for me and send to me in the spring? Willing to pay or trade plants for your time. I understand the risks involved with bare root trees. Little worried about having them spend an extra week in transit. Last time someone shipped them to me the person was quick to ship, but they still didn't make it. Three weeks bare root looks to be pushing it especially in the winter. I know it's a pain to revive these plants, so I totally understand if no one wants to. Good luck with the order and I hope many people are able to grow this cool plant! 8)

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2022, 08:17:18 AM »
Hey southbayhapajoe,
Everyone’s worried on how they going to get there yanmei. Rightfully so. I’m worried if the bareroots will leaf out.
I was wondering if you could share your success with the yanmei plants. No pressure. Just give us details. Like size of pot started, soil mix, watering, etc. you don’t have to write a book. If anyone else can share there success that would be great also. Start a new thread. Call it ‘yanmei growing’. Thanks.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2022, 08:45:04 AM »
I think simon did a very extensive write up on this in the first order page.

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2022, 09:04:24 AM »
I’m sorry if I missed it. When you say ‘the first order page’, are you saying the order placed earlier this year or this order?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2022, 09:59:39 AM »
Simon is the official TFF yangmei authority.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2022, 11:42:24 AM »
I’m sorry if I missed it. When you say ‘the first order page’, are you saying the order placed earlier this year or this order?

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=43270.0
Nate

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2022, 04:11:59 PM »
WoW. Thank you  roblack and FV Fruit Freak. Y’all’s embodie Forum ideals. I was like who is Simon and what instructions. Don’t know how many times I read that page.

“Transplant risks; Yangmei trees are sensitive to transplant especially when shipped bare-root. The success rate was very low according to a member. He had good success (light potting mix, low temperature, high humidity, no overwatering and keep in shade for 3-5 months.

Just thought I share….wondering if SouthbayHapaJoe can kindly confirm or add to the success.
Thank you all.

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2022, 04:20:56 PM »
Hi Bill, thanks for putting this together and keep the cost low! This is the best time for bareroot import. Good luck!

Hi Kang,
  To avoid any possible mistakes, I like to check with you which item/description and academic name for the yangmei tree
in the commercial invoice and phytosanitary certificate issued from China you used in the previous  group order?
 Is item/description Myrica Rubra seedling, academic name: Myrica in your document?

Thanks, biao

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2022, 05:20:00 PM »
I posted what I did in the previous forum chat, and pretty much what I am going to do again.
I use a 2 gallon fabric pot that will eventually be planted in the ground so I don’t disturb any roots or have to up pot.
The soil mixture is sand, pumice and vermiculite that I pre charge with sea weed extract and nutrients. I do not use peat or coco coir.
I wrap as much wood in wax tape and then put under 90 percent shade cloth in my green house.
Then let nature do it’s thing. I’m hoping that these won’t have to be fumigated quarantined extra days to give us a better chance.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2022, 07:47:32 PM »
Also, they were very very slow to heal, grow roots, and then push growth. They were in my greenhouse under shade cloth for 5 months. I then planted them in the picture above under 75% shade cloth through the fall. I took the shade cloth off after thanksgiving with all the grey days and rain and they really starting to grow.
Joe

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2022, 08:23:40 PM »
First, Thank You for your info SouthBayHapaJoe, you not only helped me but I’m sure others here.
Second, Wonderful job on the Yanmei plants, them there plants look happy.
They’l take off come spring. Seaweed was a great move. Love the bricks for night heat and border for
Lawnmower. Stay away from my Yanmei plants!
Thanks a million Joe.

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2022, 11:37:38 AM »
I just checked with the contact of the export company in China last night, they had submitted the tree export application to the custom.
If no inspection from custom needed, likely in three days, they can get the permission from custom, otherwise, it will take about  a week.
They they can start to arrange air freight, and normally two days before the shipping, they start to pull up trees from tree fields.

Also they are considering using the coconut fiber and SAP( super absorbent polymer) as packing material to keep roots and tree moisturized during the shipping. It is a very solid export company.

I interviewed a couple of custom broker companies, and finally decided to use  Steven N, a very experienced guy,  as my custom clearance power attorney, his office is nearby SFO.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 11:40:41 AM by bill_bayarea »

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2022, 02:12:09 PM »
Yes Biao, I think myrica was used in the import docs. Good luck!

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2022, 08:26:01 PM »
Yes Biao, I think myrica was used in the import docs. Good luck!
Thanks!