Author Topic: Share your best coconut images (cocos nucifera)  (Read 1387 times)

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
Share your best coconut images (cocos nucifera)
« on: December 25, 2021, 07:16:46 PM »
Stripie coconut, maybe from hybridisation. There is a great diversity of colors, shapes and sizes of coconuts where I live. But this is the only one I have seen this far with such prominent stripe.
Beautiful. Tasted delicious.

Pink coconut, they are always like this and all in the bunch have this. Not old or fermented, tasted delicious.
The pink color is more intense in real life and permeates the whole coconut, hard to capture the color

This green type of coconut I find have the sweetest tasting water, but not necessarily the best of the best tasting water since it's lower in carbonic acid as other verieties. But the ones that have more carbonic caid (fizz) are usually not as sweet, more like beer. The fizz goes out in 1-2 days so you gotta get em fresh to experience it. Also stage matters a lot, from tiny stage to mature stage of the fruit.

The Biggest coconut I have ever harvested where 10Kg! It seams to happen when there is poor pollination cause less fruit in the bunches.

Please share your best cococnut images or stories!
Would love to discuss them more :D
I think drinking one a day keeps the doctor away! haha

Searching for the macapuno, the spicata dwarf and the super dwarf "vilalage dwarf", anyone have images of them?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 07:25:53 PM by cassowary »
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Share your best coconut images (cocos nucifera)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 03:00:28 PM »
Fruitorestfarm has a range of hybrids obtained from a New Britain research station. The botanic ark has a big fruiting kind and unusual dwarfs.

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 05:54:18 PM »
Wow New Britain, that's epic!
Trina got me two sprouted hybrid nuts, from PNG she said. Thanks a lot Trina! So maybe that's those :D
Haven't got any dwarfs from them yet, a friend who is planting a lot of them in persue to send down south got a lot from fruitforestfarm, idk if it was just the hybrids or their dwarfs too. They have a beautifull yellow malay I think, they guy behind the Baramundi farm got some of those too, haven't been there but he proboly have some special ones.

How big is their big one? Like huge?
Even our 10kg one did not have a seed as large as some of the Coconut bowls that I saw in Bali.

In Bali I have seen a dwarf that's similar to the yellow malay but have strikt green leafs and even more pale white nuts. Trying to find an image!

I hope they make the botanical ark open to the public eventually!
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 06:06:33 PM »
The mature macapuno coconut meat is thick , has a jelly like consistency in its interior and a higher oil content than regular coconuts

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 06:18:59 PM »
That macapuno looks great!

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 06:38:36 PM »
WOW that makapuno looks so good!
Thanks for sharing!

Are they hard to come by even where you live Ben mango?

Here's an image of the "white coconut", I am quite certain it's not a yellow malay dwarf. Saw it in Karangasem, Sidemen, Bali, Indonesia.

CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 08:31:12 PM »
Ya those were found in the Philippines coconut authority regional office in Davao. It’s open to the public. There’s a nursery and a tissue culture lab. Buying plants for export is prohibited

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 02:25:21 PM »
Ya those were found in the Philippines coconut authority regional office in Davao. It’s open to the public. There’s a nursery and a tissue culture lab. Buying plants for export is prohibited
Really, tissue culture is the only sure way to get absolutely the exact coconut you want. I took seed from a large homogenous grove about 4 acres and even some of those had significant genetic differences from cross pollination or just stray genes. I recently spoke to someone who was sure he had true Fiji dwarfs but after a few years it was clear some were crosses.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 08:24:46 AM »
The golden at FFF is not golden malay but may have it in there as a parent. None are standards they have along their driveway. Botanic Ark big fruited one also has a big nut centre. They look way bigger than any regular coconut.

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 06:51:57 PM »

This one from Cross roads cafe at the daintree ferry juncture. what malay dwarf type is it?
I can't really find any reliable info on golden malay drawf, seamas to be either yellow malay or red malay, or maybe a cross?
The rib of the frond from this palm is quite yellow.

The man said he got the seeds 20-30 years ago from a lab in cairns, probobly the research station.
He also said he had fiji dwarf, he showed us and they hade green ribbed fronds and green small fruits, with no big fat ground bole like I have seen with the samoan dwarfs.

I got a samoan dwarf cocnut plant from a palm nursery lady at mossman market  and the nut is very small, like 2/3 of the common golden malay and the ribs of the fronds are glowing red/orange.

I am also trying to figure out what the local "mason" dwarf coconut is, maybe it's a red tahitian dwarf. Know scomazon and farmstay have one.

I have also seen what people would call the "golden malay dwarf" outside of maranos fuel station outside of mossman, the difference is that they are taller and the fruits are larger, maybe a hybrid.

How to identify a spicata dwarf from a non spicata when there is no flowers?

I am a beginner with identifying coconuts so please give me some leeway.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 06:54:46 PM by cassowary »
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2022, 07:40:31 AM »
A Samoan coconut should not be small. They are known for being quite large.

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 04:17:20 PM »
ben mango,

Maybe you are refering to a smoan tall which would natually have bigger fruit then a dwarf or maybe a samoan TxD or DxT.

I don't know if a Samoan dwarf fruit is larger then a Malay dwarf for instance.

maybe there is a good coconut book out there :)
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 06:26:28 PM »

Cocoducks

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 10:28:16 PM »
Haha! Looks like they are waiting for you to husk it :D
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM