Author Topic: Pears in southern CA  (Read 108 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Pears in southern CA
« on: December 27, 2021, 07:02:58 PM »
Anyone growing good pears in southern CA? 

I grew several types and they produced well but the flavor is no good.  Im looking to top work with some of the better types like

D'anju
Comice
Bartlett

These have pretty high chill ratings.  Does anyone have any of these fruiting or any other good tasting pears?

Thanks!
Brad Spaugh

JCorte

• Laguna Beach, CA, zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Pears in southern CA
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 04:18:02 PM »
Hi Brad,

Iím growing Hood, Seckel, and White Doyenne.  Iím assuming youíve already tried Hood?  Mine did not taste very good the first few years it fruited.  When I was about ready to give up on it, it produced good fruit.  I dehydrated some slightly underripe and they were excellent dried, tasted like candy but not overly sweet. I have not fruited Seckel or White Doyenne yet.  I am surprised the White Doyenne is still alive, itís growing in complete shade, neglected and not watered in years.  Iím moving it to the farm to give it better conditions.  The Hood has proven itself worthy, effortless to grow, tastes as good as any store bought, excellent dried, blooms early, and fruits reliably.  The other two are supposed to be a couple of the best tasting but not sure if theyíll fruit for me. 

Janet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk