Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

cold test on seedling New Zealand lemonade

(1/4) > >>

poncirsguy:
Just brought my Seed grown New Zealand lemonade tree inside So far it has seen 22F, 22F, 20F, 25F, and many hard frosts. to date. I am warming the roots up to hibernation temperatures for that of an in ground tree so I can put it back outside for the up coming 17F, 13F to determine cold hardiness of this cultivar 01-02-2022

It is now down in an unheated basement to prevent coming out of dormancy.  It has seen 2 months with most nights below freezing.

Jibro:
Interesting experiment... I would like to know too how hardy NZ Lemonade is, I want to use it for crossing with Trifoliate so your data will be usefull for me, thanks.

poncirsguy:
Going down to 15F tonight.  My NZL is outside in cold out of the bright sun.  When the sun drops behind the hill I will place the tree in and insulated doughnut to hold the roots at freezing while exposing the trunks to very cold air.

poncirsguy:
Tree is in position and the pot, roots and first 3 inches of trunk are insulate with cold 30F'ish leaves.

Wrong picture

tedburn:
Hello Poncirusguy,
interesting experiment, I have a poormans orange also called   Newsealand Grapefruit which is called to need lower amounts of summer heat for the fruits than normal grapefruit, but I guess Newzealand lemonade is an other citrus variety  ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version