Author Topic: Asian Persimmon - this season crops  (Read 2033 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Asian Persimmon - this season crops
« on: January 07, 2022, 03:46:11 AM »
I just finished picking most of my persimmons, even dehydrated some and it tastes very good.
I like the non-astringent varieties more than the soft astringent ones.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:38:00 AM by sc4001992 »

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Asian Persimmon - this season crops
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 10:04:12 AM »
That matsumoto looks amazing!!!! How was its sweetness?
Bill

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 02:53:31 PM »
I'm use to eating the hard/crunchy non-astringent varieties. But the Matsumoto will hang on the tree until the fruit color looks translucent and soft. The ones I let get soft were very sweet but I eat most of my fruits hard. The Saijo is an astringent variety so it can be picked firm, then needs to be left on the counter to get soft before you eat it. It is very sweet, maybe the best one if you like soft persimmons. I just grafted some Saijo on my mult-grafted tree.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 04:46:14 PM »
Those look so yummy,  i had fuyu fruit from my plant this year and they were exelent. I also like much more the types that can be eaten hard, i ate my fuyus hard and probably should have let them ripen more on the tree....

Dried persimmon is something i will do someday when i buy me a dehidrator....

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 07:38:10 PM »
When you dehydrate the fuyu it will taste 2x as sweet and it will keep for a longer time (up to 2month in air-tight bag).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 08:07:00 PM by sc4001992 »

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 10:00:02 PM »
Great pictures!  Thanks for identifying the different varietes clearly.  Haven't gotten any fruit from my persimmon tree yet, so I'm very much looking forward to it (and jealous in the meantime)!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 12:35:29 PM »
My Matsumoto fruits for this season ripened and finished early. Start to ripen in Sept, then all finished in October.

Now the only persimmon I have that are ripening is the Hyakume. It says in some description that this fruit is the sweetest (non-astringent) of them all. Last year all my fruits were large but did not get cross pollinated (PVN). This year it did get pollinated by my other varieties I grafted on the tree and so the fruits have seeds and the brown sugar color inside. Very sweet, as sweet as the astringent varieties (i.e. Saijo, Hachiya) but the flesh does not need to be soft to taste sweet.

I will post some photos of my fruit on Wednesday so I can show the comparison of the Fuyu, Jiro, and my Unknown Variety. The Hyakume is a winner with pollinated, hard to find other non-astringent variety that is sweeter than this one. I ate a few Fuyu from this year's crop and it was very sweet.

If you have some sweet non-astringent variety then please mention it here.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 04:00:17 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 04:02:06 PM »
Here's my Hyakume fruit that was pollinated, taste was very good.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 09:52:49 PM »
kaz, what do you think of Saijo persimmon?   does it make great dried?

thanks

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 02:06:47 AM »
I did get those saijo fruits shown in the photos from Janet who says it is the best. I tasted it when it softened and it was excellent. I usually never like to eat the Hachiya (eat very soft- astringent) but the Saijo was good and I could eat that one soft. I also dehydrated the Saijo and they tasted much sweeter than the Fuyu.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 02:22:45 PM by sc4001992 »

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2023, 11:51:42 AM »
Saijo persimmons are excellent dried, sweeter than dried non astringent varieties.  You can either slice them up while still firm and dehydrate them or dry them whole (hoshigaki).  They make beautiful and super sweet hoshigaki and will get covered in white sugars naturally.  Much better than store bought which I think are usually made from Hachiya.  I'm going to cut down my Hachiya tree.

I also freeze them whole and they are really good defrosted for a few minutes, it's like having persimmon sorbet.  This past spring I made some frozen ones into milkshakes to compare them to Mamey and Green Sapote shakes.  We thought the Saijo shake was the best hands down.

I agree with Kaz though, I prefer the non astringent for eating out of hand.  Saijos are too sweet to have more than a few fresh.

Janet
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 12:04:14 PM by JCorte »

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2023, 12:07:22 PM »
Kaz, have you tried the non-astringent variety Suruga? 

My grafts have not produced yet, but I'm really looking forward to tasting this one.

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 02:27:31 PM »
Janet, I have Suruga grafted on a few trees, but no fruits yet. I also accidentally cut off some grafted branches when I thinned my branches on the trees. This year I'm looking forward to tasting my first P. decaisneana fruits.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2023, 04:43:30 PM »
I did get those saijo fruits shown in the photos from Janet who says it is the best. I tasted it when it softened and it was excellent. I usually never like to eat the Hachiya (eat very soft- astringent) but the Saijo was good and I could eat that one soft. I also dehydrated the Saijo and they tasted much sweeter than the Fuyu.

Did you dehydrated Saijo while it was ripen soft or at firm stage?  Thank you

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2023, 05:25:16 PM »
For the suruga fruits, Janet sent me fresh picked fruits that was a few days before getting soft. I waited one day, then cut some for the dehydrated them. I think I dehydrated the fuyu, matsumoto, saijo, and my unknown (dad's, square, large fruit). The saijo tasted the sweetest after it did it.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2023, 07:34:16 PM »
I slice up the Saijo persimmons while they are still firm and at the astringent stage.  The astringency goes away during the drying process, they become really sweet and have a better texture than other dried persimmons.

Janet

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2023, 12:34:18 AM »
Thank you: Janet and Kaz   It is the  first year Saijo giving me fruits after grafted 2 years ago.  I will try to dry them whole "hoshikaki style"  and see how good they taste. 

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2023, 10:01:10 AM »
Making hoshigaki is a process but we love them.

From experience, when making hoshigake, if it gets cool or humid at night, bring them inside and put them back outside during the day.  Moisture settling on them can cause mold. 

For the first couple days you just let them hang until the peeled fruit feels very dry then "massage" them every day.  The massaging process is necessary to get the sugar coating.  Sometimes the sugars don't look like they are forming and the persimmons will just look dry, but they will form form quickly once it starts.  It will look like it is coated in powdered sugar.

Janet