Author Topic: CCPP Budwood Price Hike  (Read 4141 times)

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
Re: CCPP Budwood Price Hike
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2022, 11:33:20 AM »
While I understand the basics of price increases I fear that making "clean" budwood sources like these prohibitively expensive discourages hobbyists AND encourages the exact illicit trade these programs were in part created to stop lol.

My state GA for example has a ban on budwood and fruits but doesn't have its own clean stock repository so i guess us small people are SOL.

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 09:57:13 PM »
The calculation of bud wood cost fails to take into basic economics- much less people will buy at $5 per bud. Assuming only 1/10 of the buds will be sold at the new price. won’t the “cost per bud” be $50? They will not be able to recover the cost this way.

Possibly. Does anyone know if commercial citrus growers/nursery usually buy grafted trees or if they usually bud their own trees with either their own or purchased rootstock? Eventually some business has to bud trees so i wonder if these businesses have to by law purchase buds from the ccpp due to quarantine. How many places are there in California that can sell citrus budwood legally?

Mike Jennings

• Pleasant Hill, CA -- Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Diablo Valley Farm
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2022, 09:12:27 PM »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 09:19:19 PM by Mike Jennings »

Mike Jennings

• Pleasant Hill, CA -- Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Diablo Valley Farm
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2022, 09:15:14 PM »

Possibly. Does anyone know if commercial citrus growers/nursery usually buy grafted trees or if they usually bud their own trees with either their own or purchased rootstock? Eventually some business has to bud trees so i wonder if these businesses have to by law purchase buds from the ccpp due to quarantine. How many places are there in California that can sell citrus budwood legally?

Yeah, the commercial citrus nurseries (at least in CA) are buying budwood from CCPP to graft their own trees. There are no other places that sell budwood anymore. Fruitwood Nursery used to sell citrus wood up until 2021, but I guess the state cracked down on that, and they don’t sell it anymore. This is particularly sad since they had stuff that CCPP doesn’t offer, like Changsha Mandarin, 10 Degrees Mandarin, and Ichang Papeda. I’m glad I ordered those while I could.