Author Topic: experience growing rare species of annona  (Read 922 times)

Denis

• Russia Moscow city
    • View Profile
experience growing rare species of annona
« on: January 08, 2022, 12:33:24 PM »
Dear gardeners, I have a suggestion to collect as much information as possible based on your personal experience growing rare species of annona. I am interested in your impressions about the taste qualities of fruits (sweetness, aroma, bad aftertaste, presence or absence of fibers), the period from planting seeds and the beginning of fruiting. What information do you have on the following species of annona: A.crassiflora, A.coriacea, A.vepretorum, A.salmaznii, A. sylvatica, A.neolaurifolia, A. stenophylla and others.

kendalroper@gmail.com

• costa rica/ california
    • View Profile
Re: experience growing rare species of annona
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 12:06:21 AM »
i am looking as well

Jal

• Brazil, Sao Paulo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 08:16:07 AM »
For my taste Annona crassiflora is very tasty, although it has a strong odor, Cacans is edible but not very tasty, cloying.

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 09:28:05 AM »
Dear gardeners, I have a suggestion to collect as much information as possible based on your personal experience growing rare species of annona. I am interested in your impressions about the taste qualities of fruits (sweetness, aroma, bad aftertaste, presence or absence of fibers), the period from planting seeds and the beginning of fruiting. What information do you have on the following species of annona: A.crassiflora, A.coriacea, A.vepretorum, A.salmaznii, A. sylvatica, A.neolaurifolia, A. stenophylla and others.
I have a couple of these species, and while I unfortunately can't offer any information on time to fruit and taste, I can share my experience with germination.

A. crassiflora I got recently; 90% of the seeds came up within 4 weeks, and they have nice, meaty stems. I expect them to be vigorous growers. A. vepretorum has a quite low germination rate in my experience, only 20%. Out of the ten seeds I tried growing, only two sprouted, and one is stunted. The one that is doing well does seem to grow fairly well though, as it's nearly a foot and a half tall after 9 months.

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 10:49:01 AM »
Annona parviflora and Annona deceptrix both germinated easily for me. Folks have said they're more cold hardy than many other annonas, which appears to be anecdotally true. My trees are only 2 years old, so no fruit yet. I'd love to find more Annonas to experiment with in zone 9b.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk