Author Topic: Capsicum growing in variable tropical climates?  (Read 628 times)

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
Capsicum growing in variable tropical climates?
« on: January 14, 2022, 10:29:03 AM »
Seeking some advice from other growers.  We grow in fields (commercial) a few varieties that are well suited to our climate. 

We get down to the mid teens in winter with high winds and high humidity.  We get up to 40 in summer.  Typhoons are the main variable.  We dont flood as w have worked out drainage, but weeks of rain can keep things wet.....

We are certified organic, so cannot spray.

The varieties we are having the biggest trouble with are:

Ghost pepper (summer typhoons)

Jalapenos (having year round issues of poor growth)

Serrano (same as jalapeno)

Habanero (constant fruit rot in wet season)

Anyone else in the same boat?  We can redo fields and try different ways, just cannot use chemicals.

All seem to be water related issues.

We use raised rows with AG fabric as a mulch with pipes inserted under the plastic for irrigation.  Recently we are using rice hulls in between to limit weeds, but just started using these.  Have been having issues for a few years now.

Appreciate any thoughts.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Capsicum growing in variable tropical climates?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 10:32:52 AM »
It sounds like a nutrition issue more than climate. Peppers are pretty easy overall and suit a variety of climates. I had most issues when the soil I had them in ran out of nutrients and I wasn't using a slow release of some kind then I got all kinds of fruit rot or slow growth.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 10:54:10 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts.  We do fertilize and the leaves are generally healthy looking.  I wonder now though if maybe the heavy rains are leaching the soil. Never thought of that.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 11:50:17 AM »
I think it might be a water issue as well.
What type of soil do you have?

in South Florida in our sandy soil growing most vegetables including peppers in our rainy season is an issue.

I've been using raised beds but on a commerical scale that might not work.
Maybe sandy mounds and some type of high air flow training method would help

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 12:17:35 PM »
Scott Bonnet does great year-round here in SoFL, with lots of rain and regular us of sprinkler system.  Similar, but better than habanero in my opinion. Got a couple of others that do well, have to look up what they are.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 10:35:01 PM »
Your climate sounds similar to central Florida. Our issues are nematodes, fungus, flooding/drought, and fluctuating temperatures (too cold/too hot). A few thoughts. Root knot nematodes were recently introduced to Taiwan (2012) and may be causing the year round poor growth of some of your varieties (peppers vary widely in nematode resistance). I think Taiwan also has native nematodes that could be affecting the growth. Maybe some organic fungicide would help with the rot. And, if the peppers were grown in a short hoop house they could be shaded in the summer with 30% shade cloth or covered with plastic sheeting in the winter for freeze protection. Here peppers grow best when the temperature is moderate and the humidity is low (the end of February through May).