Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Nippon Orangequat - cold hardiness

<< < (2/3) > >>

poncirsguy:
I believe that someone with the 0rangequat tree was on Macophilia or rough lemon roots and those aren't cold hardy so the  tree died because its roots died.  An Orangequat on Flying dragon would have a very good chance in zone 7 with Christmas lights and radiant barrier frost cloth.

mikkel:

--- Quote from: SoCal2warm on January 15, 2022, 04:37:07 AM ---
I am pretty sure Nippon Orangequat is not going to be able to survive zone 7 in Germany without protection.

--- End quote ---

this is just pure speculation

tedburn:
@all, thank you for your comments.
But believe me the fruit was really delicous comparable to a satsuma.
My plan is to take a small twig of the plant and graft in on poncirus and plant it later in ground, but I guess protection and heating in zone 7 will be necessary if temperatures lower than -10 or -12 ° Celsius ( 10° F).

brian:
All of the fruit that my Nippon has produced have been bland.  The pulp not very sour, and the rind not very sweet.  Seedy and anyway too large to eat in one bite.  However, I have read other reports that this type is quite nice to eat, so maybe their is some variety for whatever reason.   The fruit in Tedburn's picture looks more like a satsuma to me.  All of my Nippon fruit have been round to egg-shaped, I have never seen one with the slight-pumpkin-shape that is common with mandarins.

tedburn:
Yes Brian, my fruit looked satsuma like and tasted satsuma/orangelike, lower acid than my satsuma myagawa.
Think I will take a small twig in spring for grafting on citrumelo or poncirus and then will test frosthardiness.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version