Author Topic: A neat citrus fruit that was brought to me today by a friend  (Read 940 times)

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
A neat citrus fruit that was brought to me today by a friend
« on: January 14, 2022, 10:37:29 PM »
Here's some pictures of a fruit that a friend brought us today. When I saw it I thought it would probably have a super thick rind but I was wrong. It's about the size of a small to medium grapefruit, has the taste of a lime when first cut and I just tasted it again and it got a little bitter. It's very sour, just like a Persian lime with a similar taste. For scale, the 500 coin is about the size of an US half dollar

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
Re: A neat citrus fruit that was brought to me today by a friend
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 10:50:03 PM »
Either this one didn't upload or I forgot to add it

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 03:05:04 AM »
Looks like a large kaffir lime. If you look at the leaves and if it has 2 large even size lobes as leaf then that is what it is.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 03:59:29 AM »
"Looks like a large kaffir lime."

Looks like Citrus macrophylla,
and since it's related to KL I can see why you said that.
It is a rootstock variety in USA, so could pop up from suckers or failed grafts.
The foliage doesn't have the double leaf / enlarged petiole of KL or other Papedas.

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 09:53:37 AM »
I'm not sure what the leaves look like, I was just given the fruit since people in town know I like finding uncommon varieties. I assumed it was an overgrown rootstock or a seed grown tree since you find that a lot here. The strong lime flavor surprised me at first and I thought about the way I could use it at our restaurant but it's a good thing I took another taste because it got pretty bitter and I would consider it unusable. Even the rind was super bitter.

I'll ask if they can bring me a leaf to see what it looks like and post it here. A picture of it is out of the question since both people I know that work near it don't have a phone with a camera.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 05:16:10 PM »
If it is macrophylla aka Alemow or Colo from the Phillipines, the fruit are cooked whole in stews.
If you want to use it in a restaurant, you might try Ponzu type dressings with the juice ??