Author Topic: Where to get Mexicola, Topa Topa or Creole seeds?  (Read 1222 times)

shunshun

• View Profile
Where to get Mexicola, Topa Topa or Creole seeds?
« on: January 29, 2022, 02:07:45 AM »
Hello, I'm looking to buy 1000 mexicola, topa topa or Creole seeds. Does anyone have any idea how to buy them?

Thanks

Bobooshki

• Palm Bay
    • View Profile
Re: Where to get Mexicola, Topa Topa or Creole seeds?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 07:07:17 AM »
That’s a lot of seeds. I’ll get over 100 Mexicola seeds this Summer I can sell you if you wanted to wait that long
Robert

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 07:50:45 AM »
Hello, I'm looking to buy 1000 mexicola, topa topa or Creole seeds. Does anyone have any idea how to buy them?

Thanks

Define Creole?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

shunshun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 10:17:10 AM »
There is a new preferred avocado seed in Mexico called Creole. It is known to be more cold tolerant. But I couldn't find any scientific evidence.

shunshun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 10:20:34 AM »
That’s a lot of seeds. I’ll get over 100 Mexicola seeds this Summer I can sell you if you wanted to wait that long

I think it shouldn't be too late. I'd like to buy them. How much would it cost per seed?

Thanks

Bobooshki

• Palm Bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 02:29:13 PM »

I think it shouldn't be too late. I'd like to buy them. How much would it cost per seed?

Thanks

You could PM me and we can work something out. I’d just save everything I had to send your way.
Robert

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 06:15:04 PM »
True indeed.  There is what appears to be a selection of rootstock called Creole. The term, in general, makes reference to the classical seedling of avocado growing in different parts of Central America with roots to the early Mexican Avocado race varieties, before all this interbreeding of races took place.

https://www.invertebral.mx/product/mexican-avocado-pattern-creole-seed/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 07:39:12 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 06:43:31 PM »
If you need 1000 mexicola seeds how about planting 5 or 10 trees and grow them out and grow your own seeds? 

Seems like if you are trying to go that big, doing that should be easy way to go.  Its how i grow my seeds out. Plant the trees you need then in a few years you have all the seed stock you will need to build the farm. 

Brad Spaugh

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 07:52:11 PM »
shunshun, I hope that if you are going to plant these, you have tested them in your soil, the fact that they may tolerate cold better is only one item to determine the usefulness as a rootstock.  Another point is that openly pollinated seeds depending on where they are coming from, could be very unique and different from each other.

I have tested, Mexicola, Poncho, Monte de Oro (a Criollo) seedlings grafted on commercial varieties, and they don't do well in my soil, weak small trees, elements deficiency ect. You can graft them on Waldin and they grow great. I would hate to plant so many seeds only to find out they don't work in my soil.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2022, 08:42:03 PM »
Lowe's has it.

shunshun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 08:40:33 AM »
If you need 1000 mexicola seeds how about planting 5 or 10 trees and grow them out and grow your own seeds? 

Seems like if you are trying to go that big, doing that should be easy way to go.  Its how i grow my seeds out. Plant the trees you need then in a few years you have all the seed stock you will need to build the farm.

I see your point. But the problem is that it takes about 3-4 years to get fruit. Then, I'll wait another 6 months to have them ready to graft. It is a really long them from business standpoint.

shunshun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 08:42:50 AM »
shunshun, I hope that if you are going to plant these, you have tested them in your soil, the fact that they may tolerate cold better is only one item to determine the usefulness as a rootstock.  Another point is that openly pollinated seeds depending on where they are coming from, could be very unique and different from each other.

I have tested, Mexicola, Poncho, Monte de Oro (a Criollo) seedlings grafted on commercial varieties, and they don't do well in my soil, weak small trees, elements deficiency ect. You can graft them on Waldin and they grow great. I would hate to plant so many seeds only to find out they don't work in my soil.

Yes, mexicola and topa topa have been tested. I totally agree that there isn't such a thing "the best seed". It really depends on your soil. I wish I could have Dusa but they are crazy expensive.

shunshun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 08:44:27 AM »
Lowe's has it.

I suspect they don't sell the seed itself.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2022, 04:21:13 PM »

I see your point. But the problem is that it takes about 3-4 years to get fruit. Then, I'll wait another 6 months to have them ready to graft. It is a really long them from business standpoint.

So whats the business plan?  Im just curious what your plans are.  Planting 1000 trees takes a lot of work.  Theres usually other efforts involved before plopping down 1000 trees.  like prepping the land, deer fences, irrigation setup etc.  that stuff can take a long time unless you have a big crew. 

If I had extra seeds I would sell you some.  I have a few seeds but not what you are looking for.  every year I try and plant 50 or 100 trees.  Ive been at it for 7 years and still planting.  one or 2 more years and Ill be done finally.

There was another guy on here looking for 1000 avocado seeds for years he has been posting asking for the seeds.  If you guys have the land and avocados grow well there it will only take a few years to get the trees going and making fruit.  I planted a zutano tree 2 years ago and it made 50 fruits this year.  Same with mexicola grande, it made a ton of fruit in under 3 years.  Multiply that by 20 trees, tou got what you need pretty quickly and you get to test run your skills growing avocados before trying to go all in on 1000 trees.  Assuming you plan to grow trees in the ground.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 04:22:58 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2022, 04:36:21 PM »
Now I realized you are the same person wanting to farm in Turkey that I had been messaging.  Im going to get those scions you want.  Ill toss in a few zutano and bacon scions for you to use for growing seed stocks.  In case you cant source theseeds, youwill have them ready in a few years.  trust me you dont want to depend on others for this kind of thing you are doing.  take the right actions now and set yourself up for success in a few yers.  Growing avocados is a super long term endevour.  An extra few years up front to get it going is small in the big picture.  your trees can be kept going for decades to come. 

Brad Spaugh

shunshun

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2022, 11:51:26 AM »
Hi Spaugh,

Sorry, my whole family had Covid, and one of them were affected really bad. I couldn't get back to you on this. I'll definitely share my orchard plants and the experiences that I'll have with the high density planting in the forum.

Thanks,
Nihat

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2022, 12:34:47 PM »
Hopefully everyone is well now.  My family also got it in January.  Not fun. 

Good luck with the orchard.  If you still want some lamb scions send a message.
Brad Spaugh