Author Topic: 2022 Second Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order(Tentative)  (Read 45886 times)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Second Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order(Tentative)
« Reply #350 on: March 02, 2022, 11:53:06 PM »
If Amy is taking the 5 all the way, I would like to offer my place as a pickup/distribution point.

I’m near downtown Burbank and a mile away from the 5 freeway exit (Burbank Blvd) where there’s a Costco if Amy wants to fill up on gas there. I or my neighbor Maria, who’s the one ordering the trees, can meet Amy at Costco for the drop off.

I’m located in between SFV and SGV. It’s pretty close to DTLA as well and not too bad for West LA. It’s only far for south LA people to come here. This matters because taking the 5 would have Amy miss the LAX drop off as well. So maybe only me, OC, and SD if this is the decision.

From SB just take the 101 in Ventura and change to the 134 and get off before you reach the 5. It’s pretty much a straight line freeway from Ventura to here.

Tustinfruitnerd

• Tustin
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 03, 2022, 12:08:23 AM »
Gas fund sent. Thank you Amy and Bill!

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 03, 2022, 12:16:44 AM »
If Amy is taking the 5 all the way, I would like to offer my place as a pickup/distribution point.

I’m near downtown Burbank and a mile away from the 5 freeway exit (Burbank Blvd) where there’s a Costco if Amy wants to fill up on gas there. I or my neighbor Maria, who’s the one ordering the trees, can meet Amy at Costco for the drop off.

I’m located in between SFV and SGV. It’s pretty close to DTLA as well and not too bad for West LA. It’s only far for south LA people to come here. This matters because taking the 5 would have Amy miss the LAX drop off as well. So maybe only me, OC, and SD if this is the decision.

From SB just take the 101 in Ventura and change to the 134 and get off before you reach the 5. It’s pretty much a straight line freeway from Ventura to here.

Currently Jo is the drop off point for LA. I would say at this point everything is set for Amy and where she will be dropping off but if Jo decides that you make more sense to be the contact point then we should finalize that immediately.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 03, 2022, 03:21:53 AM »
Currently Jo is the drop off point for LA. I would say at this point everything is set for Amy and where she will be dropping off but if Jo decides that you make more sense to be the contact point then we should finalize that immediately.
Sure, I understand the fewer last minute changes the better. But it sounded like there might not be a SB drop off. Please disregard everything I write if there’s still a SB drop off.

I think taking the 5 could unset the both the SB and LAX drop offs, since the original plan was to take the 101->405->5 detour (adds only ~10mins to the route over taking the 101->5). If taking the 5, the 5->405->5 detour makes much less sense.

Anyway, I’m just offering an option IF there’s a route change. No pressure to take it. If it’s 50/50, please take the other option. Like I said, my neighbor’s trees, so the less work for me the better. :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 04:27:02 AM by fyliu »

Svamarlins

• Orange County Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 03, 2022, 08:52:26 AM »
Hi everyone, if you have already contributed towards gas cost, thank you!

I spoke to Amy yesterday regarding gas costs and she estimates the cost would be around $350 - $400 (around 4 gas tanks to make this trip and back and possibly additional night stay depending on inspection).

In an effort to make it fair for everyone I have broken down the cost per person based on the number of trees they have ordered as follows:

Total Gas cost = $400
Total of trees orders = 256
Transport cost per tree =  $1.56

The chart below shows the cost per person/order in the last column, could we please ask everyone to make this payment at minimum to Amy's PayPal account.

Paid via venmo

Jeramyl So CA

• USA, Southern CA, San Diego, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 03, 2022, 10:36:37 AM »
 Helpful that ManVFruit pulled that together for minimum amounts but it placed zero value on her time.  Be generous.   You don’t have to obviously but it would be kind.  Just two cents.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 11:05:23 AM by Jeramyl So CA »

Fattyfigs

• United States, Southern California, Chula Vista
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 03, 2022, 01:42:18 PM »
I’m updating status.  We are waiting for the inspection report. I’m on stand by. The trip up I-5 took 7.5 hours & went smoothly with no traffic. The weather looks like it isn’t going to want to cooperate on the way back.  South May possibly even get hail.  I follow weather closely for my figs.
As most know that many Californians can’t drive well in rain.  This can tact a couple extra hours on a trip.  One drop of rain & everyone brakes. I normally always drive I-5.  The 101, Santa Barbara route is 40 mins, west, the roads have more hills & winding around cliffs. I have an older gps so I’m not familiar with this route. If it is daylight & I have time I don’t mind taking this route but if it is night, raining & causes me to arrive significantly later or unsafe travels than Bill has agreed to ship the 6 Santa Barbara trees.  (Gas funds reimbursement if so or sent with LA) Hopefully the trees pass inspection & I can have them by tomorrow morning (Friday)so I can get them all to all the distributors (SB, LA, OC & SD)I will be in contact with distributors. 
I appreciate those that contributed to gas, currently 1/2 way has cost $200 in fuel.  I just want to let members know routes & prices for future drivers if there is another driver for another order.  I’m am staying with relatives & covering my own meals.  I hope all goes smoothly & all trees are healthy so we can get a good ordering/delivery symptom down.  I again I appreciate Bill for making the orders possible.
I didn’t bring my computer up so I won’t be checking messages while driving or on phone messages while driving. I will be voice calling pick ups when on route.

Currently I’m trying to stick to same plan & same pick up distributors for all people.
By previous message from Kevin, if weather/night interferes than I will send the 6 trees with the other distributor.
I will let distributors update when I leave.

Jeramyl SoCal

• USA, CA/So CA, San Diego, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 03, 2022, 01:56:39 PM »
You're a Rock Star Amy.  You saved a lot of work, time and money for the entire group with your generosity by taking this adventure on.  Thanks a million.
Jeramy

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 03, 2022, 01:57:55 PM »
Sounds good!
Thanks Bill, Amy, Joe, and all others involved for adding more yangmei plants to the US.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 03, 2022, 02:14:39 PM »
Correction: there is no rain forecast from Campbell past SB, but does seem a touch in SD - but low precip % during your drive time.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 04:56:22 PM by K-Rimes »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 03, 2022, 02:15:48 PM »
Joe, How do I find out where and when to pick up for the LA area? I need to tell my neighbor this info so she can go get her trees. Thanks.

Fattyfigs

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 03, 2022, 03:40:02 PM »
I’m updating status.  We are waiting for the inspection report. I’m on stand by. The trip up I-5 took 7.5 hours & went smoothly with no traffic. The weather looks like it isn’t going to want to cooperate on the way back.  South May possibly even get hail.  I follow weather closely for my figs.
As most know that many Californians can’t drive well in rain.  This can tact a couple extra hours on a trip.  One drop of rain & everyone brakes. I normally always drive I-5.  The 101, Santa Barbara route is 40 mins, west, the roads have more hills & winding around cliffs. I have an older gps so I’m not familiar with this route. If it is daylight & I have time I don’t mind taking this route but if it is night, raining & causes me to arrive significantly later or unsafe travels than Bill has agreed to ship the 6 Santa Barbara trees.  (Gas funds reimbursement if so or sent with LA) Hopefully the trees pass inspection & I can have them by tomorrow morning (Friday)so I can get them all to all the distributors (SB, LA, OC & SD)I will be in contact with distributors. 
I appreciate those that contributed to gas, currently 1/2 way has cost $200 in fuel.  I just want to let members know routes & prices for future drivers if there is another driver for another order.  I’m am staying with relatives & covering my own meals.  I hope all goes smoothly & all trees are healthy so we can get a good ordering/delivery symptom down.  I again I appreciate Bill for making the orders possible.
I didn’t bring my computer up so I won’t be checking messages while driving or on phone messages while driving. I will be voice calling pick ups when on route.

Currently I’m trying to stick to same plan & same pick up distributors for all people.
By previous message from Kevin, if weather/night interferes than I will send the 6 trees with the other distributor.
I will let distributors update when I leave.

There is no rain forecast whatsoever from Campbell down to SD for Friday or Saturday. Please let me / us know what you decide ASAP.

It is raining here in Napa now. I can’t see your area but south it is predicted harder. I already have an aprox 10 hour drive. The image is estimated without stopping at Jozeph so it will be even later. I don’t want to be on the road 12 hours in crappy weather where people don’t know how to drive.
Bill will give me an update at 3 pm. I can not give you information I don’t have. If it’s ready I. The morning I have no problem taking the longer route because I can see better but I don’t want to be driving home at 2am in rain in my area. I’m sorry I can’t predict weather or time.
If you can’t wait I can tell Bill to ship or send the 6 trees to LA. If I did sent to LA you can have gas refund. I’m not choosing safest route.
I hope it is ready in the morning so we can stick to the original delivery.

Fattyfigs

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 03, 2022, 04:35:56 PM »
“Just received a call from my custom broker, there is a big shipment before us, not sure they can finish the inspection today. He will check with them around 4:00 pm again.”
Not today

I’ll continue to update as posted. Thanks!
I’m on my phone so screen isn’t the best. Thanks for your patience.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 03, 2022, 06:54:54 PM »

I would like to donate to the person who is picking up the trees for us, Socal folks.
It takes lots of time, effort, money to make this work. I appreciate Bill for doing this & also to all who have contributed esp to the one who will pick up SOcal ones.

bill_bayarea

• Campbell, Santa Clara County, CA 95008, plant zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 03, 2022, 07:29:11 PM »
 Folks,
   The trees are still in the USDA inspection station. They have not started the inspection yet due to some delays.
 Hopefully our trees will be released tomorrow Friday. Thank you, Amy and all others for the waiting, patience.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 03, 2022, 09:16:00 PM »
From the pick up site at Bill’s in Campbell you geographically have to take Hwy 101 to get back to LA,SD or anywhere in Southern California.

harveyc

• Isleton, Calif (Sunset zone 14, USDA 9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 03, 2022, 10:00:25 PM »
I don't understand why people feel motivated to tell someone who is volunteering how to do their task.  101 is not a short cut or faster way to SoCal from Campbell.  Even Google maps shows I-5 as the optimal route, saving 33 miles and 36 minutes to get to Los Angeles.  If traffic is moderately or very bad, the difference is even greater time wise.  And the level of stress is much less on I-5.  I've made the trip south both ways many times.  Amy has chosen the better route even if it is slightly less convenient for a couple of people.

Jeramyl So CA

• USA, Southern CA, San Diego, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 03, 2022, 10:08:43 PM »
Unfortunately for our friends in SB, I totally agree that the 101 is clearly not the optimal route for Amy.  It’s a bummer but true.  Plus, with a good rain storm coming Friday and Saturday that makes the 5 seem even more preferred. 
Maybe SB switch to LA pickup or overnight drop ship if it’s a pain.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 03, 2022, 10:59:07 PM »
I don't understand why people feel motivated to tell someone who is volunteering how to do their task.  101 is not a short cut or faster way to SoCal from Campbell.  Even Google maps shows I-5 as the optimal route, saving 33 miles and 36 minutes to get to Los Angeles.  If traffic is moderately or very bad, the difference is even greater time wise.  And the level of stress is much less on I-5.  I've made the trip south both ways many times.  Amy has chosen the better route even if it is slightly less convenient for a couple of people.

For me, it's an easy $140 in diesel and 5 hours of driving to LA and back to get my trees - or a 36 minute detour for Amy, so I'm still hoping it works out. I am the SB guy (+1 other with trees who would pick up from me). The only issue I have is that there was a plan in place which included the 101, and then this plan changed when Amy got to SF. I will work it out and do whatever I need to do, but it's the change of plans at the last minute that was a bit difficult for me, is all.

Amy is chatting with me and it sounds like there is still a chance she takes the 101, so, I'm just optimistic that weather and time cooperates.

Again, no big deal, I just want to know what I'm doing in advance so I have time to make decisions about scheduling. Clearly though, you can understand why I'd prefer the 101.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 03, 2022, 11:26:59 PM »
I’m asking again since the last time I asked it seemed to have been drowned out by other comments.

How will my neighbor know where and when to pick up her plants from the LA person?

Do the pickup point people have a list of emails of people who ordered in that area? If so, then my neighbor would be the one receiving the email when the time comes and I can stop monitoring this thread for updates.

Thank you!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 03, 2022, 11:32:02 PM »
I’m asking again since the last time I asked it seemed to have been drowned out by other comments.

How will my neighbor know where and when to pick up her plants from the LA person?

Do the pickup point people have a list of emails of people who ordered in that area? If so, then my neighbor would be the one receiving the email when the time comes and I can stop monitoring this thread for updates.

Thank you!

I recommend sending a Private Message to SouthBayhapaJoe who is the LA pick up. He may not want his address shared publicly, so PM is best.

His description was this:

"The LA pick up is in El Segundo near LAX. Take the 105 all the way near the end. 1 left on main St and a right onto my street. Only need to compensate AMY as I am just a distribution point. Cant wait to see all my favorite people again. Im putting together a trade list if anyone else is interested besides FVFruitFreak :)"

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 03, 2022, 11:40:44 PM »
I am not telling anyone to do anything.
It’s clarifying a geographical fact that this journey starts on 101.
She is from 10 hours south and may not know that.
Route preference is a matter of opinion. I find the I5 much more stressfull and not faster , I used to commute Bay to LA weekly, but anyways, not what I was saying anyhow.
Come forth with the Yang Mei knowledge Harvey, and how you got your tree’s fruiting?

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 03, 2022, 11:44:48 PM »

Thank you!

Fyliu, I sent you message with LA pick up POC Joseph Kanach's info. He has busy schedule and may not check the update
here frequently. You can send me email to biaozhang@hotmail.com for quick response.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 12:50:07 AM by bill_bayarea »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 03, 2022, 11:54:23 PM »
Thanks Bill! I just messaged Joe. I don’t want to contact him on the day of the distribution since I expect him to be busy then. I’ll have my neighbor call tomorrow too.

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 04, 2022, 12:36:28 AM »

SoCal folks,
   I just sent out email to everyone with your area's  POC email info. Please make sure you can connect to your POC when trees are ready for pick up.

Thanks, bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk