Author Topic: Need advice. Preparing sites (holes) for a few purchased trees  (Read 508 times)

fruitmonger

• S Florida 11a
    • View Profile
Need advice. Preparing sites (holes) for a few purchased trees
« on: February 02, 2022, 08:39:08 AM »
I live in a house in Homestead Florida.  Our ground here is basically a few inches of topsoil on top of the limestone base.

Dig that few inches and then you hit the rock and dig that out with a pick or whatever else needed to get the hole dug.

I have a few plants in containers that are ready to go in the ground.

Chempejack (2) and a Rolinia.  In addition to these I am also adding a few mango, a mulberry and one or two more trees...sugar apple or soursop.

In making these holes and getting them ready to accept the trees what should I put in there?

I have read everywhere that putting the 'native soil' back in the hole is best...but seriously it is little more than rock and the tiniest bit of dirt.

I have read advise against using store bought soil because it can promote root rot.

So....what is the best thing to give these trees their best start.

I don't really care if it is a bit expensive....it is my house and I wan the trees to have their best chance at thriving.

Any advise on anything to do with this would be appreciated...anything from the size of the hole to any suggestion on best soil mix to use to fill the holes.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can lend

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." Chinese proverb

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Need advice. Preparing sites (holes) for a few purchased trees
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 10:18:29 AM »
You can buy topsoil and mix it with the native soil. Topsoil should have some sand as part of the mix and drain well.

You can also plant on a mound of purchased topsoil. I would recommend this for the rollinia if there is a chance of flooding. Some rollinia will die in a flood, one of mine did due to tropical storm Eta. If you plant on a mound, make a bowl at the top so water will not just roll off.
Brandon

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 08:04:08 PM »
If there is access you might consider hiring a trencher. The suggestion would be to dig two trenches in the form of an "X" or even more then refill with better sandy type soil. The trencher could also install irrigation combined with the planting holes by trenching a grid pattern across the plot.
Here is a previous discussion with some links:
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=27145.msg313440#msg313440

fruitmonger

• S Florida 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 12:24:14 PM »
Thanks for the advise and links guys.

That deep digging of trenches and x's is pretty intense.

I am going to go a good bit less extreme and do something different.

It might not be the very best thing to do but I believe there exist some middle ground on this that will produce results that are quite satisfactory without having to break out the heavy machinery.

I'll report on my progress as I make it.

Thanks again for the replies

:)
"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." Chinese proverb