Author Topic: Annona salzmannii var "Giant"  (Read 7008 times)

The Seeds Hunter

• EU
    • View Profile
    • Seeds' Hunter
Annona salzmannii var "Giant"
« on: February 06, 2022, 11:18:40 AM »
Namaste to All Fruits Enthusiasts,

Peace & seeds
The Seeds' Hunter.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 08:19:45 PM by The Seeds Hunter »

The Seeds Hunter

• EU
    • View Profile
    • Seeds' Hunter
Re: Annona salzmannii var "Giant"
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 01:22:42 AM »
seeds are still available!

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 05:28:18 AM »
I bet they are at those prices!

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 10:28:41 AM »
If those fruits are ripe , shouldn’t the skin be yellow ?

Rainbow

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 08:58:56 PM »
When you stop making up new variety names and asking stupid money for seeds maybe then people will take your shop seriously, giant this rare that! Its not unusual for trees to produce slightly larger fruits from time to time, in fact it happens more often than your seeds having a chance to produce those type of fruits if they do produce fruit at all from seed..

Fruit Jungle

• Loxahatchee, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 09:27:49 PM »
Half the time these seeds don't even sprout, that's if they arrive, I've been waiting over a month for seeds, no response..

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 10:08:05 PM »
People sure like to complain on here. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy these seeds.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 11:27:48 PM »
No one here is complaining, they are just making comments. There is a difference.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 10:35:55 AM »
I believe this is a unique salzmannii though because Berto has identified two distinct ones based on flesh consistency and this one seems to differ based on flesh color and texture (white opaque). There are many variations in other annonas so it’s not unheard of. I would absolutely love to grow this one but as a grafted plant …..a man can only dream right!

-Joe

Brian laufer

• USA. California. Oceanside. Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 01:47:36 AM »
No more complaining until you've gone out and collected this species in its habitat yourself. Over 90% of its native forest has been demolished. I personally searched for this fruit for a week with geolocations, interogating locals in a language I barely understood.. its very rare, I found one tree with 1 fruit. My body was shredded by the thorny jungle and insects. It was all worth it. Did I mention its one of the finest fruits on the planet, perfect in every way.

Very few people understand how tirelessly the seeds hunter works. Fueled by passion he pushes for his goals even if things get tough.  This unending effort is inarguably the most important work on the planet at this time. We are experiencing unprecedented loss of species and this time its human caused. Species that without our collection, protection and dissemination will be lost forever.

It is not cheep to traverse the vast distances in order to obtain these treasures of the earth. Especially driving in on e of the largest of all countries. It takes months to move across it at a comfortable rate. I hope you all understand that he charges what he has to in order to continue this important work. I wish for us to open our minds to see from a lens other then our own. It's easy to make judgments from our comfortable man cave. Please stay in love and compassion for this most imperative work. There are few who are cut out for such a duty of service to humanity and the planet.

Con mucho gusto, and with much love.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 01:49:42 AM by Brian laufer »

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 06:50:41 AM »
So we gotta pay for the expeditions? And how do we even know what the seeds will do when they mature? It’s too expensive for most to even try to find out. It’s not budwood we’re talking about here, it’s shots in the dark. In my opinion this forum exists as a means for mostly serious growers to buy/sell/trade and share info. I try to look at every post when possible. If it’s clogging up the BST board, I’m going to comment if I think the price is outrageous. Also I don’t think charging astronomical prices is the way to truly preserve a species. Everyone is welcome to create a website and try to draw traffic to it. If you post on here you’re going to draw comments. Charging 75 euro for 4 seeds of a fruit with tons of seeds is just outrageous and a waste of most people’s time to read the post. And really limits growing “giant” salzmanii to only a few wealthy growers. Even if I can afford it, I’m not paying for someone else to go traverse the world and get $1000 worth seeds off one fruit. I work very hard for a living, I’m not sure everyone knows what that means. Searching for seeds is a hobby and a vacation. Also we’re dealing with nature and there’s no type of guarantee on anything. I do not doubt the dedication at all. It’s seeds hunters choice to get it in the hands of people or not. If you truly cared about preserving species though you wouldn’t charge so much.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 07:46:40 AM by SaltwaterTx »

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 07:37:20 AM »
A little fairness goes a long way. If they were 10 seeds for 75, I would have already made the purchase and then gone to the website to see what I can add to the order. I’m sure you’d like to recoup all of your travel expenses, but those of us that work for a living aren’t gonna pay for you to traverse the globe in the name of “preservation” and have us pick up the entire tab. We’re all grateful that you are passionate about collecting and sharing, but I think you would get a lot more business if you were a little more reasonable, and it would allow many more people to grow and preserve these rare species. It seems to me like a couple sellers here have the money prioritized above species preservation.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 08:10:45 AM by SaltwaterTx »

The Seeds Hunter

• EU
    • View Profile
    • Seeds' Hunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2022, 08:00:59 AM »
If those fruits are ripe , shouldn’t the skin be yellow ?

The cracked open fruit is tree matured and cracked open by itself ! this is for me the number 1 Annona ! this tree had more than 40 fruits most of them immature ! I managed to collect 3 mature fruits.

The Seeds Hunter

• EU
    • View Profile
    • Seeds' Hunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2022, 08:07:37 AM »
When you stop making up new variety names and asking stupid money for seeds maybe then people will take your shop seriously, giant this rare that! Its not unusual for trees to produce slightly larger fruits from time to time, in fact it happens more often than your seeds having a chance to produce those type of fruits if they do produce fruit at all from seed..

you are free to comment and think whatever that pleases you and you allow to go into your mind! as judging is known to be the easiest practice for human beings, keep on practicing mate! what you think of others mate just reflects and shows who you really are! thank you for letting us know who you really are!

The Seeds Hunter

• EU
    • View Profile
    • Seeds' Hunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2022, 08:12:26 AM »
Half the time these seeds don't even sprout, that's if they arrive, I've been waiting over a month for seeds, no response..

Hello mate,

I had Covid lately and things have gone out of control, please message me in private and we will work the situation out with what makes you happy. and I'm happy to offer follow up for 6 motnths and seeds for free for any species you couldn't establish. Our aim is to help people establish these species and we are really happy to help with any specie.

Peace, unity & respect!

The Seeds Hunter

• EU
    • View Profile
    • Seeds' Hunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2022, 08:14:46 AM »
People sure like to complain on here. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy these seeds.

Couldn't be said in any better way!

The Seeds Hunter

• EU
    • View Profile
    • Seeds' Hunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2022, 08:20:37 AM »
I believe this is a unique salzmannii though because Berto has identified two distinct ones based on flesh consistency and this one seems to differ based on flesh color and texture (white opaque). There are many variations in other annonas so it’s not unheard of. I would absolutely love to grow this one but as a grafted plant …..a man can only dream right!

-Joe

This is a unique salzmannii and it's really way better than any other salzmanii found in the wild! the size was significantly bigger and the flesh/seeds ratio as well pretty better than other regular salzmanii fruits. We started from scratch and we have a cost structure and a social structure that we have to keep on sustaining to be able to work on offering these species and offer these genes to anyone willing to grow. we believe we will be able to offer scions of these varieties and cultivars in 2 to 3 years! some even within the US.

a man can dream and can do Joe!

Peace, unity & respect mate

The Seeds Hunter

• EU
    • View Profile
    • Seeds' Hunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2022, 09:10:01 AM »
So we gotta pay for the expeditions? And how do we even know what the seeds will do when they mature? It’s too expensive for most to even try to find out. It’s not budwood we’re talking about here, it’s shots in the dark. In my opinion this forum exists as a means for mostly serious growers to buy/sell/trade and share info. I try to look at every post when possible. If it’s clogging up the BST board, I’m going to comment if I think the price is outrageous. Also I don’t think charging astronomical prices is the way to truly preserve a species. Everyone is welcome to create a website and try to draw traffic to it. If you post on here you’re going to draw comments. Charging 75 euro for 4 seeds of a fruit with tons of seeds is just outrageous and a waste of most people’s time to read the post. And really limits growing “giant” salzmanii to only a few wealthy growers. Even if I can afford it, I’m not paying for someone else to go traverse the world and get $1000 worth seeds off one fruit. I work very hard for a living, I’m not sure everyone knows what that means. Searching for seeds is a hobby and a vacation. Also we’re dealing with nature and there’s no type of guarantee on anything. I do not doubt the dedication at all. It’s seeds hunters choice to get it in the hands of people or not. If you truly cared about preserving species though you wouldn’t charge so much.

with all my respect mate I think no one asked anyone to pay for anything here! we started from scratch knowing we will be facing a lot of challenges and a lot of new and different situations and we went for it adapting with the situation at any point of the time. we have a cost structure and a social structure that we need to be sustaining on Monthly basis to keep our work going and preserve as much species as we can reach!no one is forced to be a part of it! nature is being destroyed on daily basis and if today it's still possible to find some species in few years with the actual destruction pace part of these species will go extinct from the wild. we have made a lot of prices better and we are working on improving them to make them all available at affordable prices for everyone though it takes time. charging astronomical prices is of course not the way to preserve specie , though this is true in which conditions mate ? there are a lot of details that goes into pricing! it'S always easy to judge! though there are expeditions costs, cleaning and selection process and treatment of seeds for storage. our seeds after the cleaning process goes through different stages of selection and goes through many kinds of tests until they are ready for storage and to offer!
we offer follow up and we haven't let any customer down who told us he didn't get a germination for any specie! we always gladly sent new seeds and offered follow up until specie is established! we guarantee delivery and guarantee quality and that also has its costs. logistic also has a high cost structure and so on.. we are establishing all species and cultivars with the aim of propagation and to make them all affordable and accessible for anyone.. though the process takes time.. and while working on getting there we will keep doing our best to keep our social structure and keep this thing going! 30 to 40 percent of our seeds are always shared with natives and serious growers in Brazil before any of these gets offered ! our friends and partners around the globe know who we truly are, if we really care about preservation , and supports us in what we do! we are happy to share seeds, trade seeds and we have traded with  hundreds of people without any money  included! I believe if people asked for trade or found a better way to interact with people instead of judging them , life would have been way better for both parts!

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2022, 09:21:13 AM »
I very much applaud your preservation efforts. I never said anyone is forcing anyone to participate. It’s a public sale forum. No one is asking you to respond to my comments. I understand there is a cost structure. And I understand the challenges. Every single one of us has a cost structure in our own lives. And every single person here makes investments of their own time and money to preserve rare species. My main point is that you cannot try to recoup 100% of your investment every time and say it’s in the name of species preservation. We all pay a lot for species preservation. People have to make investments to do this. Difference is some of us work hard to make our money and don’t get to travel and eat $1000 fruits. Everyone very much appreciates your efforts for preservation, but if you were willing to spend a little of your own money in the name of preservation and meet us in the middle, or find better ways to make things more affordable, I think more species would actually be preserved. I know it is not easy. I am in no way judging anyone, I’m mostly commenting on how I spend my own money. And I’m sure they were expensive to obtain, but you’re asking 75 euro for 10% of a fruits seeds that you have 3 of. You don’t know how they were pollinated, if they come true to type, or if they will even grow well in the US. To some of us that’s not a risk worth taking, and it’s not a judgment of you personally more of your business practices. It’s just too much money for many of us growers to actually establish, though the vast majority would love to
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 09:38:37 AM by SaltwaterTx »

The Seeds Hunter

• EU
    • View Profile
    • Seeds' Hunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2022, 09:30:06 AM »
A little fairness goes a long way. If they were 10 seeds for 75, I would have already made the purchase and then gone to the website to see what I can add to the order. I’m sure you’d like to recoup all of your travel expenses, but those of us that work for a living aren’t gonna pay for you to traverse the globe in the name of “preservation” and have us pick up the entire tab. We’re all grateful that you are passionate about collecting and sharing, but I think you would get a lot more business if you were a little more reasonable, and it would allow many more people to grow and preserve these rare species. It seems to me like a couple sellers here have the money prioritized above species preservation.

you can think what pleases you to think and what you think is right! while you think I'm being unreasonable, I'm just trying to keep the thing going while I know our time is limited! more orders, more packing, more follow up, more time consumption and we are limited on resources to build a bigger social structure, so it's really hard to keep everybody happy while we struggle to keep things going in some situations being pretty conscious of the pretty limited time we have ! this doesn't mean it's impossible, we are working on making things better, knowing that time is a big player and factor in here!

Appreciate your kind words mate and we are really thankful for anyone who supported us and who keeps supporting us! we promise to make all the species affordable to all people as soon as our collection starts fruiting and conditions allows us to build a bigger social structure !

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2022, 09:32:43 AM »
I would love to participate in your social structure. And I would love to establish almost all species you have. If the prices came down a little I would be able to do that. I don’t know when that will be possible, but those are my thoughts. We are all busy, and we all have overhead in our gardens and in our businesses, and we make sacrifices to do this. It’s all for the same cause. Peace, and respect
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 09:41:04 AM by SaltwaterTx »

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2022, 09:47:13 AM »
Also I don’t know of the laws, and maybe it’s not possible to do so and cross borders... but it seems to me the best way of actually preserving a specific variety is to graft budwood onto potted or preserved rootstock, wherever possible. Maybe you are already doing that. It would not be so much of a risk for us though if we were able to purchase scions or trees, and I think higher prices would be justified..
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 09:49:20 AM by SaltwaterTx »

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2022, 10:08:51 AM »
Justifying charging high prices because you give away 30-40% of the seeds is funny logic to me. It’s as if a vendor says they have to charge $20/lb for a fruit because 40% of the fruit is given away to family or friends. It just doesn’t make sense

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2022, 11:05:18 AM »
Yeah I'm starting a farm and can't realistically afford any of these species I'd love to be able to afford! Websites like Seedshuntershop really do cater to the "fruit ballers only" and it's a very select and limited market.  There's definitely only a handful of people that would be able to consider spending that amount of money on seeds.  Preservation and conservation is....marginal IMO. It's more just wealthy collectors living the dream fruit life.

I've had people say they were bummed they couldn't afford a rare plant I was offering, (63$ for a plant).  It made me realize that I want to make these plants more accessible to regular, stoked plant people.  Plants are important and in my opinion, the best way to get people interested and to take notice is to make them available, affordably. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 11:15:26 AM by nattyfroootz »
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2022, 12:20:18 PM »
I would agree except that what seedshunter s offering you CANNOT get anywhere else. If you been around long enough then you already know it is almost impossible to get any seeds out of Brazil. Not only source, Id, risk travel in third world conditions and then find a way to offer them to buyers outside of Brazil. Seedshunters not only travels to lands you aren’t willing to go to yourself and find seeds
No one else in the world is offering and you complain about his prices. Yes “fruit ballers” willing to risk their own hard earned  money to germinate and grow seeds from rare sources take a big risk as well. Will we one day propagate and sell select scions… sure.  I’m a middle school science teacher with dreams of my own rare fruit Mecca in SoCal and offering seeds to world. So I save, plan, and research and make informed decisions on what I buy. I don’t go and blast and mans successful business model because I can’t afford his prices. It’s called a free market and simple
Supply and demand. Since his goods are routinely sold out so he could probably charge higher prices. When I first started I too was frustrated with prices, however if you can’t afford a 68 dollar seedling from an ultra rare source than just buy a fig tree or local citrus tree or any of the million of common type fruit trees going around.
Just my 2 cents. I can’t afford everything I want from Seedshunter but that’s everything in life.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk