Author Topic: Annona salzmannii var "Giant"  (Read 7004 times)

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
Re: Annona salzmannii var "Giant"
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2022, 12:39:29 PM »
I don't know if I'd say I was necessarily blasting, just making observations about the market for purchasing rare fruit at exorbitant rates. I sell rare fruits and did sell some for exorbitant rates. I also did buy stuff from Sellami for a while and sometimes still do if there's something thats on my list and is within my budget. He does have some amazing seeds that can't be found anywhere else, although there are other sources in Brazil and I have legally imported seeds from Brazil. Risk is always involved with growing and or importing plants.

I have over 200 species and thousands of plants and have been collecting for years, well before people were charging arms and legs for seeds!  I definitely gladly offer seedlings of rare plants for 30+ dollars on my website and would be happy to get someone new or interested in growing rare fruits and collecting rare fruits. Who am i to say someones financial situation should dictate their ability to participate in something they are curious about/love? I want to share the excitement and addiction I have!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2022, 12:57:06 PM »
Just because no one else has them, does not mean a fruit should be worth $1000 after someone got to eat it. Its not that I’m not willing to travel there, it’s just that I’m not willing to pay that price for such a big gamble. It’s simple business. Also I’m not blasting him. I responded to comments. I value my time and this forum, and if someone is going to try to sell something here, it’s not blasting anyone to say if we think it’s too high of a price. It’s just how some of us feel. And this isn’t a personal website. If you try to make a sale here you are subject to criticism and comment. Regardless of enthusiasm or ability to afford anything, many of us just don’t think it’s truly in the spirit of preservation. And it’s simple business not to buy. That being said maybe making known how we feel will at least start a conversation
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 01:11:58 PM by SaltwaterTx »

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2022, 01:04:41 PM »
SouthBayHapaJoe,  I think I have bought plants from you on Figbid, thanks for sharing the genetics.

Nattyfroootz, I am glad that you started your business and are a great source for rare genetics.  I just got my recent order from you a couple weeks ago and the plant quality is great.  I am happy to pay your prices because I believe in what you are trying to create on your farm and it takes work and money to make that happen.

Who am I to judge what anyone chooses to charge for what they offer?  We live in a reality where it takes money to accomplish our dreams and to support ourselves.  It does me no harm to not be able to afford someone’s prices.  My choice is if I’m willing to spend the money and assess the risk if that plant does not do well for me.  I’d rather have someone who is committed to caring for the earth and preserving plants have the opportunity to be financially successful than most other ways of creating wealth.  If it offers them the resources to be committed to this endeavor than seems a positive to me.

Janet

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2022, 01:10:31 PM »
A fruit that no one has and everyone wants is well worth 1000 dollars at a bear minimum. He has tasted and has in hand. Annona Salzmannii seedlings are 50 to 70 bucks. These seeds clearly come
From a fruit that tastes good so the chances are good that the seedlings will share the same traits. The seedlings for sale online have no taste report associated with them. At first glance his price may seem high but take into consideration everything that goes into it and ….
Sorry if I came off rude. Just defending a valuable member to this community and trying to add insight to his costs.

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2022, 01:14:21 PM »
Maybe scions or a tree is worth that much. In my opinion annonas are too untrue and it’s like selling expensive lottery tickets. Also you can find normal salzmanii seeds much cheaper. So the mother fruit may be rare but it’s not like you could even know what you’re getting out of the seeds.

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2022, 01:16:35 PM »
Also I think people are conflating what people grow on their farm and sell, vs someone that “found” something traveling. I know it’s work but it doesn’t compare to what I do for a living to be able to grow and collect rare plants. My money is well earned and well spent. I’ve invested $1000’s just this season, from people I thought were very fair. And will continue to do so.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 01:18:07 PM by SaltwaterTx »

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2022, 02:47:01 PM »
I value my time and this forum, and if someone is going to try to sell something here, it’s not blasting anyone to say if we think it’s too high of a price. It’s just how some of us feel. And this isn’t a personal website. If you try to make a sale here you are subject to criticism and comment.

Agreed 100%. It’s a public forum

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2022, 02:47:39 PM »
SaltwaterTx,  totally respect what you are doing and the amount of work that goes into a farm.  I bought a farm myself and have been putting a lot of energy into developing it.  But, seems a bit harsh to me that you are on someone else’s sell thread, implying they are not worthy of earning what someone else maybe willing to pay because you think they just “found” the fruit or are somehow not putting enough effort by your standard of measure.  Do you know this person or anything else about their life?

I wish this seller the best of luck and success in growing and spreading rare fruits.

SaltwaterTx,  no offense to you and you have a right to comment and share your opinion.

Janet

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2022, 02:48:23 PM »
4 for 75$ seeds is way too high for a fruit that has like 50 or more seeds in it. 

Let be real come on now!

If you can get it, good for you though .  Im all for open market free trade.

Good luck with the sales.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 02:52:34 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2022, 03:29:40 PM »
Absolutely! I never Implied anyone should be silenced
On this forum. I only advocated and shared my OPINiON on why I don’t think his seeds are outrageously priced. He is literally the only one scouring the Brazilian Amazon to offer seeds to the world. I also get peace of mind that I am not being scammed with some mislabeled seeds to make a quick buck. That in itself is worth the money. Those cheaper Salzmannii seeds you speak of…. How much cheaper? 4 bucks a seed. Do they have pictures of fruit or have tasted the fruit. Do they tell you where the tree was found? Are you 100 percent sure they are Salzmannii? Just saying. I personally trust Sellami and even though some descriptions are “colorful” his seeds are reputable.

Janet.. oh yeah I think you bought a inga Cinnamomea from me. How is it doing. Hoping mine will flower soon!

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2022, 03:33:30 PM »
I agree JCorte, and apologies if anyone is offended. If someone is willing to pay those prices more power to them. I wasn’t trying to tank his post or any sales, just stating my opinion. People might think I’m out of place and that’s fine. I come here to share with people, and it doesn’t change the facts or my feelings that some people prefer to prioritize money over actual preservation. It’s just my opinion based on limited facts. And anyone is free to comment. I personally spend a lot of money preserving all type of stuff and don’t try to make a dime

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2022, 04:14:54 PM »
I'll gladly take some handouts from those looking to "truly preserve" species :-X

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2022, 04:39:28 PM »
I agree JCorte, and apologies if anyone is offended. If someone is willing to pay those prices more power to them. I wasn’t trying to tank his post or any sales, just stating my opinion. People might think I’m out of place and that’s fine. I come here to share with people, and it doesn’t change the facts or my feelings that some people prefer to prioritize money over actual preservation. It’s just my opinion based on limited facts. And anyone is free to comment. I personally spend a lot of money preserving all type of stuff and don’t try to make a dime

Its ok, dont ever appologize for being honest. 

If this guy flew to brazil and hunted the rainforest for the trees then it explains the cost.

Most of us cant afford it.  It is what it is. 
Brad Spaugh

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2022, 04:47:03 PM »
I remember when Eugenia selloi Star Cherry was relatively expensive, Flying Fox Fruits was first in the USA to offer it that I know of and I’m sure he made good money bringing it to the market. Now it is common in cultivation. These rare species,first time ever offered to be cultivated out of Brazil, will eventually come down in price too once they become more common years later. I will argue that a grower that pays a higher price for seeds or plant will be more serious to do grafted plants and sell seeds of the species to get their initial investment back or more to buy more rare species.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2022, 09:17:35 PM »
SaltwaterTx,  I wasn’t offended.  I agree that an open forum where all opinions can be expressed is important.  That’s how we all learn and grow together.  I imagine what you’re doing is not easy and it’s obvious you’re passionate about it.  I hope awesome rare fruits find their way into your life.  As far as I’m concerned, I think the world needs a lot more small farmers and growers, and they deserve to be successful. 

SouthBayHapaJoe,  hope you’ll share your experience growing this rare fruit and let us know when you finally taste it.  Yes, I got the Inga, as well as some dragonfruit from you.  Everything I got from you is doing well, I plan on planting them at our farm in Fallbrook later this month.  Let me know how the cinnamonomea tastes when you try it.

Janet

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2022, 09:40:14 PM »
I believe this is a unique salzmannii though because Berto has identified two distinct ones based on flesh consistency and this one seems to differ based on flesh color and texture (white opaque). There are many variations in other annonas so it’s not unheard of. I would absolutely love to grow this one but as a grafted plant …..a man can only dream right!

-Joe

This is a unique salzmannii and it's really way better than any other salzmanii found in the wild! the size was significantly bigger and the flesh/seeds ratio as well pretty better than other regular salzmanii fruits. We started from scratch and we have a cost structure and a social structure that we have to keep on sustaining to be able to work on offering these species and offer these genes to anyone willing to grow. we believe we will be able to offer scions of these varieties and cultivars in 2 to 3 years! some even within the US.

a man can dream and can do Joe!

Peace, unity & respect mate

I really like what has happened on this forum regarding the crowd sourcing of yangmei trees. The way to make these international shipments work financially is to buy in bulk, more people get trees ant lower cost. I wonder if this could also be done with this particular salzmani specimen? What are the hurdles, different country of origin different laws, low availability of salzmani rootstock ect… If there is a will there is a way, firm believer in those words. If anyone has any ideas I’m all ears and want to help.

Thanks,

-Joe

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2022, 11:38:00 AM »
I remember when Eugenia selloi Star Cherry was relatively expensive, Flying Fox Fruits was first in the USA to offer it that I know of and I’m sure he made good money bringing it to the market. Now it is common in cultivation. These rare species,first time ever offered to be cultivated out of Brazil, will eventually come down in price too once they become more common years later. I will argue that a grower that pays a higher price for seeds or plant will be more serious to do grafted plants and sell seeds of the species to get their initial investment back or more to buy more rare species.

Back then (5 years ago) he sold me seeds for $1 each.

I'm glad people give feedback on these exorbitantly-priced offerings, so the younger or more impressionable members can get some perspective, and see paying this much isn't a normal or required part of this hobby. I'm glad people do buy The Seeds Hunter's seeds though, so one day the species will be common, and I'll get to grow them too. I hope some are being sent to nurseries or qualified collectors for propagation, if the goal really is preservation. It would be sad if most of the expensive seeds are going to people without the skills to grow and propagate them.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2022, 02:48:36 PM »
Joe, From my research Annona Salzmannii is not currently in cultivation and production so acquiring bare root stocks is not possible. Plus if the seeds come from Brazil then it's very difficult to get seeds out of Brazil with their current seed export regulations. Ive heard of a fruiting tree in Puerto Rico and there is very very limited information on the taste but reportedly a top tasting fruit.
I have about 20 Salzmannii seeds that have sprouted, some from seedshunter and some from Andres in Brazil and so hopefully will be able to grow some out and test for cold tolerance. I will have some available for local sales to help prorogate the particular species.

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2022, 04:43:11 PM »

Back then (5 years ago) he sold me seeds for $1 each.

I'm glad people give feedback on these exorbitantly-priced offerings, so the younger or more impressionable members can get some perspective, and see paying this much isn't a normal or required part of this hobby. I'm glad people do buy The Seeds Hunter's seeds though, so one day the species will be common, and I'll get to grow them too. I hope some are being sent to nurseries or qualified collectors for propagation, if the goal really is preservation. It would be sad if most of the expensive seeds are going to people without the skills to grow and propagate them.

Hey Nate, I think Adam has been working with Eugenia pitanga tuba for at least 10 years. The price of the plants back then on eBay just seemed high to me at that particular time with my limited experience in the hobby and the market at that time. Since then I think the demand for rare fruit species all over the world has gone up due to Covid and social media while supply is low since for quite a few years no seeds were getting out of Brazil. I think most folks that get in any hobby or business knows that there are different price points for items based on rarity. There are plenty of people that buy 50 grand cars and trucks that just lose value which I personally think is crazy but I’m not going to complain about the price to the dealership.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 04:45:12 PM by Giant Gecko »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2022, 07:01:16 PM »
I think the hope is it is graft compatible with something more common.
Will have to see about experimenting with that.

Joe, From my research Annona Salzmannii is not currently in cultivation and production so acquiring bare root stocks is not possible. Plus if the seeds come from Brazil then it's very difficult to get seeds out of Brazil with their current seed export regulations. Ive heard of a fruiting tree in Puerto Rico and there is very very limited information on the taste but reportedly a top tasting fruit.
I have about 20 Salzmannii seeds that have sprouted, some from seedshunter and some from Andres in Brazil and so hopefully will be able to grow some out and test for cold tolerance. I will have some available for local sales to help prorogate the particular species.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2022, 07:38:08 PM »
I think that Adam has some grafted onto a.montana.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2022, 07:59:59 PM »
Is this a fruit that will perform well in the lowland tropics? I know nothing about it other than this thread saying its from brazil ( big country with lots of different climates) Sounds like something i need to have though.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2022, 10:32:05 PM »
Have heard it is graft compatible with annona muricata

The Seeds Hunter

• EU
    • View Profile
    • Seeds' Hunter
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2022, 11:00:51 AM »
Justifying charging high prices because you give away 30-40% of the seeds is funny logic to me. It’s as if a vendor says they have to charge $20/lb for a fruit because 40% of the fruit is given away to family or friends. It just doesn’t make sense

Of course it's a funny logic if it goes that way !

natives are not our friends nor family even we are just one family on mother earth! our partners work with us and provide us species and support us in our work and sharing with them these genes is matter of contributing with them in all the efforts they are putting in in preservation.

while you guys keep complaining and hating, we will keep on working and serving Mother Nature.

The Seeds Hunter

• EU
    • View Profile
    • Seeds' Hunter
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2022, 11:12:02 AM »
Is this a fruit that will perform well in the lowland tropics? I know nothing about it other than this thread saying its from brazil ( big country with lots of different climates) Sounds like something i need to have though.

as it rains all year around in its native habitat, we believe it could do well in lowland tropics.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk