Author Topic: Bombay-esque Mango Flavor  (Read 1144 times)

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Bombay-esque Mango Flavor
« on: February 13, 2022, 09:24:29 AM »
I’m ready to fill the 3rd and final spot in my yard for a mango tree. I already have a PPK and Cogshall and now I’m looking for that powerful spicy Indian flavor. The first “real” mango I ever tasted was a Bombay and I still remember how my entire hallway at work smelled like Bombay when my coworker brought it to me. I’ve heard Bombay doesn’t do very well in Florida. I’m a couple miles inland at the north end of 10a in Sebastian. What are my options for this type of flavor? Carrie?  Thanks!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Bombay-esque Mango Flavor
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 10:18:43 AM »
Let me get the conversation started.  Maybe Angie over Carrie?  (Though not as resinous as Bombay.)  Little Gem?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 04:37:00 PM by johnb51 »
John

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 10:29:21 AM »
Try a Sunrise if you can

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 11:07:16 AM »
You're in a good zone for mango growing.  You should have lots of choices.  (Sunrise sounds good.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 11:09:21 AM by johnb51 »
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 12:17:55 PM »
Try a Sunrise if you can

I agree with sunrise.
You can also try o15, son pari and neelam.also plenty of the classic Hawaiian mangos have a similar flavor.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 01:10:13 PM »
Flavor wise White pirie was the only one that came close to that Bombay like flavor for me last year. Both were not grown in my garden though. The Bombay i had was from forum member  FLNative's garden, he has a big tree that seems productive and as per him, has not been troublesome in terms of disease. White pirie was from Tropical acres. Another one from last year that was superb was Taymour from Tropical acres, i still remember how good it tasted...unfortunately i have heard Taymour does not flower well here in south FL and the trees are vigorous upright growers.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 01:16:32 PM »
Sebastian area gives him more of a chill factor than PB/Broward/M-D.
John

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 02:55:10 PM »
Thanks for the info on Sunrise.  I hadn't heard of that variety before.  It definitely sounds like a good option.

I believe my coworker's mother-in-law has the Bombay tree.  I think he's mentioned that it isn't the most healthy/productive tree which aligns with what I've read about it in Florida.  I'll double check with him before going to Sunrise route vs. asking for some scions.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 04:42:18 PM »
You could also scour the mango information at the website www.tropicalacresfarms.com.  Question: if you're only growing 3 mango trees, what made you choose Cogshall?  (As it's not on anyone's top-tier list.)  PPK was a great choice--an awesome mango!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 11:20:33 PM by johnb51 »
John

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 05:49:49 PM »
Thanks. I’ll have to PM him if he doesn’t jump in.

Cogshall happened when I planted a seedling from a grocery store mango and grafted a few different varieties onto it. Cogshall was on the branch that took off and became the main leader. I still have a tiny fruit punch graft on that tree which pushed once and then stopped. FP has 2 leaves on it now and it hasn’t done anything for 3 years  :(
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 05:51:39 PM by kapps »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 08:45:15 PM »
Bombay is sort of the prototypical example of what I call the Indian/West Indian flavor group of mangos. Lots of spice with a pronounced resin note. This is different from the Indian/Alphonso group which includes mangos like Carrie and Angie, and of course Alphonso and Kesar among others.

So varieties to consider in that Bombay group include:

Apricot
Emerald
Sunrise
Jakarta
Iman Passand/Alampur Baneshan
Buxton Spice
White Piri
ST Maui (debatable if it belongs in this classification)
Zill O-15
Panchadara Kalassa
Little Gem
Lady’s Choice
Zill 36-43
Fake/ USDA Taymour
Phoenix…..(depends on the day , sometimes it’s more classic subacid)

I think Sunrise is a GREAT recommendation with the caveat that it’s a pretty large tree.

Emerald is pretty good and a much less vigorous tree than Bombay, but a small fruit and tricky to harvest before it drops. You have to pay close attention as the fruit nears maturity.

Apricot is very promising and tastes almost identical to Bombay. Still evaluating it but it seems to Fruit a lot easier than Bombay.

White Piri, Iman Passand, ST Maui and Panchadara Kalassa are my favorite tasting Indian/West Indian types, but I like or love everything on that list.

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 10:12:17 PM »
Thank you Alex!  Iman Passand and White Piri sound like promising candidates as well.

How large would Sunrise get after 5…10 years if I stay on top of tipping and pruning?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 08:48:41 AM »
I would think there are very few mangos you couldn't keep at 15 feet if you cut them back once a year.
John