Author Topic: Grafters using the Schick blade, we have options  (Read 1413 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Grafters using the Schick blade, we have options
« on: February 21, 2022, 08:22:42 AM »
For the last few months, I have been looking for a replacement basically in case there were supply issues with the Schick.  I came up with these.
https://supply.co/products/single-edge-blades-black-label
Black Label blades are made in Seki City, where state-of-the-art technology fuses with ancient Japanese forging skills to produce the most renowned shaving blades in the world.

I have been using them this season and they seem very smooth, and also seem to last longer. Also a bit thinner. I have to measure.

Schick is also good, but there are options . 

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Grafters using the Schick blade, we have options
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 08:47:01 AM »
Did you abandon your old, trusty blade Carlos? I have the grafting knife video you put up years ago still stuck in my head, the one where you sharpen that old blade that looked like it had years of use on it.

I bought 4 Schick 7 packs off Amazon two years ago for ~$21, now the same deal is $24:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E6VHUQ/

What really caught my just now looking on Amazon is this deal for 60 blades at basically the same price!
https://www.amazon.com/Taconic-Shave-Injector-Razor-Blades/dp/B07VQPFK68
I'm about through all my Schicks, tempted to take a flyer on these...

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 09:45:20 AM »
Thanks, good to know there are options.
I loaded up a while ago and still have at least 3 packs of 7.
I may be tempted to take up the offer on the 60 blade deal.  If I do I will end up giving most away at grafting demos.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 06:00:55 PM »
I also loaded up because I thought at some point Schick may discontinue. I hear complaints from two professional grafters in Homestead (people doing (300+ grafts a day) that the new Schick blades coming in now are not as good as the old ones.   I ran into these Japanese blades and found them really good. Both pros tried them and liked them better.  But there is nothing wrong with the Schick blades. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:10:59 AM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 07:01:38 PM »
Carlos, thanks for passing along tip on blades, ever since I saw you useing one many years ago that's all I use now on my avocado grafting ;) 8)

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 11:11:39 AM »
OK so now I know what the blades are thanks to Carlos photo now how do you hold the blade?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 12:10:49 PM »
You use one of those craft carving holders I got mine at Ace hardware store. Can't think of name mine was excel I believe but theres another famous craft kit maker ah------xacto replaceable blade holder #3 I believe.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 01:15:15 PM »
OK so now I know what the blades are thanks to Carlos photo now how do you hold the blade?
I use an X-acto knife that holds a #2 blade, you can find them at any hobby store for < $10. I put the Schick blade in about half way, so I can flip the blade once it starts to get dull. There might be a few options for #2 knives, go for the one that looks to have the best locking mechanism. I can't remember the manufacturer of my knife, but it has a raised rim at the end of the handle, so there's some protection from the blade if the knife slips in my hand.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 02:23:36 PM »
That is correct Exacto No 2 Handles.
Since these a a bit thinner, I use a strip of aluminum paper 1/4" by one in the part that goes in the handle to secure real tight grab.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Whers1992

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 04:54:53 AM »
Spammer
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 08:07:09 AM by JakeFruit »

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 08:44:59 AM »
Interesting. When I was in Malaysia I saw grafters using one sided blades without handles. It seems I’ve seen some Florida videos that do the same.
I have been using scalpels that fit a handle pretty well. Although this process leaves something to be desired if the wood is hard like with citrus.
Peter

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 09:33:24 AM »
As an elk and deer guide I used to use knives called Havalon. They have removable blades. There are many different styles. I use the stag with 60A stainless steel blades. They were invented by a surgeon. Each blade comes sterilized individually in a foil pack and is scalpel sharp. You have to be very careful changing blades until comfortable. I highly recommend.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2022, 11:23:04 AM »
As an elk and deer guide I used to use knives called Havalon. They have removable blades. There are many different styles. I use the stag with 60A stainless steel blades. They were invented by a surgeon. Each blade comes sterilized individually in a foil pack and is scalpel sharp. You have to be very careful changing blades until comfortable. I highly recommend.
Those do look very interesting, a foldable blade with what looks like much better grip/handles than most X-acto options. Their 22 stainless steel blades @ $18 per 100 sure is priced right. The knives are pricey (and mostly out of stock), but their cheapest knives (piranta-stag black) is $44 and in-stock. I'm not looking now, but maybe when I'm through most my Schicks.

***UPDATE*** just took a look on Ebay, they have Piranta knives at much lower prices. I picked up a Bolt for almost half price; it's a pink handle, but I'm confident in my manhood  :D
It comes with 12 #60A blades. I think the 22 blades will be a better choice, but I'm going to wait until I see what the 60s do for me.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2022, 03:58:10 PM »
Interesting. When I was in Malaysia I saw grafters using one sided blades without handles. It seems I’ve seen some Florida videos that do the same.
I have been using scalpels that fit a handle pretty well. Although this process leaves something to be desired if the wood is hard like with citrus.
Peter
I agree with you Peter a single type of blade cannot cover all grafting needs. I have two other conventional blades in my box. I like the Shick or similar because how thin they are and I can do 75% of grafts. I have seen the video of people using single blades. I would not dream; I keep a blood coagulant in my box, one a year usually I get a nasty one.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk