Author Topic: Do you have any experience with ornamental banana seeds?  (Read 624 times)

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
Do you have any experience with ornamental banana seeds?
« on: April 24, 2022, 09:19:15 AM »
A while back I bought some banana seed from rarepalmseeds, and none of them sprouted. I had bought Burmese Blue as well as Musa velutina.
I have no idea how long they were in storage. I've since grown my own Musa velutina from seed and they sprout without any trouble.

Do you know if banana seeds need to be fresh, or can they remain viable for years? Does anyone know of honest sellers that are committed to selling good seeds?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Do you have any experience with ornamental banana seeds?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 09:29:39 AM »
Hi
I don’t know the answer to your questions. But musa velutina  is quite invasive here. That and shampoo ginger are the two most invasive plants I’ve introduced to my farm.
I’m very cautious with Rare Palm seeds. Even seeds of palms that have just appeared on their monthly list for the first time. I have gotten things from them that have worked out but often not, especially if it’s not a palm. An exception would be agaves which have always germinated.
Peter

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 10:53:26 AM »
Hi
I don’t know the answer to your questions. But musa velutina  is quite invasive here. That and shampoo ginger are the two most invasive plants I’ve introduced to my farm.
I’m very cautious with Rare Palm seeds. Even seeds of palms that have just appeared on their monthly list for the first time. I have gotten things from them that have worked out but often not, especially if it’s not a palm. An exception would be agaves which have always germinated.
Peter

If you aren't a fan of large livestock, Muscovies will gladly get rid of your Musa velutina for you. But they will also go after your other bananas too.

Have you ever grown Musa ingens? That is definitely something on my wish list, but I haven't found a reliable source for it.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 11:12:50 AM »
I've always read Musa velutina to be notoriously hard to germinate. The method I've seen floating around the internet involved treating with hot water over many hours and they can still take up to 6 months to germinate.

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 11:28:30 AM »
Hard to believe that last comment. I've simply spit them on the ground and seen them sprout within a month.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 12:19:09 PM »
Birds go crazy over valutina and it comes up all over, even in deep shade where mist exotics have trouble.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 01:17:55 PM »
Interesting. I've waited months for velutina seeds to germinate and nothing ever happened. My comment was based off what I read other people do. I finally gave up and just bought the actual plant. My only experience with rarepalmseed banana seeds was for ensete glaucum which I was able to sprout a few. Had one tree live for over 10 years and actual produce fruit (inedible) and viable seeds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk