Author Topic: WTB: Myrciaria Glomerata, red cabeluda  (Read 2262 times)

brcb7tuner

• Livingston
    • View Profile
WTB: Myrciaria Glomerata, red cabeluda
« on: March 06, 2022, 12:33:22 PM »
Looking for small scions or seeds of this, if anyone possibly has any. Thanks

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: WTB: Myrciaria Glomerata, red cabeluda
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 01:19:45 PM »
Only in Brazil. Maybe someone has seedlings for sale or you could try to find seeds to import.

brcb7tuner

• Livingston
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 01:35:29 PM »
Only in Brazil. Maybe someone has seedlings for sale or you could try to find seeds to import.
There are a couple large trees here in the US, but the owners worry more about someone else possibly making a dollar off their tree then helping spread rare trees. They have quite a few collector's in South America with it, so shouldn't be long before we see seeds.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 02:51:25 PM »
I know but has Adam or anyone else gotten it to fruit?
Keeping the genetics locked down is normal to want to capitalize on being the first person to offer seeds from the US, especially with the increased price and popularity. Everyone wants to feel like the work they are doing has value and it is hard to quantify sometimes without dollar value or the pride or ego boost of being the first person to fruit it or offer seedlings in the states .
I am pretty sure Adam sent glomerata and strigipes scions to me in 2014 but My grafts on Cabelluda failed.
He has always hooked it up with extra’s , great prices and a desire to share the joy of jabo’s with all.
He was the only online jabo nursery happening at the time and now there is 5 or more mostly dedicated to Plinia.
But the last cash money introduction was probably Anomoly 5 years or so ago now.
Being the first to fruit glom errata , the plinia prince automatically reminds everyone how early he was in the game and how important his introductions and nursery has been to setting this plinia hype train in motion, which can’t be denied but not everyone may know that at this point.

There are a couple large trees here in the US, but the owners worry more about someone else possibly making a dollar off their tree then helping spread rare trees. They have quite a few collector's in South America with it, so shouldn't be long before we see seeds.

brcb7tuner

• Livingston
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 03:27:26 PM »
Yes I do get it with the hybrids he has created, but he has this because someone else was kind enough to share it with him from Brazil instead of hoarding. Evidently with the recent light on how easy it is to root these different jaboticaba from tiny cuttings and leafs has them running scared.

If anyone hasn't seen the videos or experimented themselves it has been very easy to root these, I've had success with all of them including strigipes and guaquiea.

https://youtu.be/HMz5fv10h4E

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 03:43:31 PM »
That’s true and true 100% about leaf cuttings. Sharing the rare genetics and not hoarding is my ethos. I just long windedly saying money and ego get in the way of that sometimes, even with those normally super sharing.
Most All of My favorite plants and transactions came from gifts or trades on the TFF or people I met here.
You can still try and get seeds out of Brazil same way.
Maybe those sources dried up or got stingier as well.
Are you going to be the first person to blow it up in the US with going into nursery production on leaf cuttings :) ?

brcb7tuner

• Livingston
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 03:59:31 PM »
No I have a day job, just adding a few more to my collection. I do hope agristarts or the like mass produces some of the rarer species with tissue cultures and makes it attainable for everyone.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 09:47:35 PM »
Right on. Yeah that would be cool. They are in the perfect spot to make it happen.

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 01:00:23 PM »
I hear you on the argument that it would be great to see genetic diversity moving freely back and forth. I think the issue is that most people who have put in a lot of time to build a collection would get run ragged if they gave scions or seeds to everyone who asked for them.

When I had a small collection I tried to make myself useful for collectors who needed help in exchange for plant material. I worked in trade for plants. I didn't have the money to buy all the plants I wanted but looked for way to source material and knowledge.

As I build my collection I looked for trading partners who had material I wanted. In fact I got some of my most rare varieties through trade with collectors around the country.

I slowly rolled my collection into a little nursery (I also have a full time job) and started selling plants on the side to fund my collection. I realize everyone can't do this because of space and time requirements, but it was my path.

Now I find myself in a different position where If I get a new species, it's not just a part of my collection, but also an asset. I've got cost sunk into getting the plant, likely some failures along the way, but at the end of the day I want to recoup the money I put into it and hopefully make some money to further my collection efforts

There are still quite a few plants I'm looking to collect(even with a nice collection to trade and willingness to pay), so you're not alone in wanting plants to more accessible, but as it stands, some stuff is just tough to find.

I think that when plants become more readily available people will be far more willing to share them, but as it stands, if I ask someone for a cutting that as a grafted tree would be worth hundreds of dollars, and I know they have limited budwood, I am essentially asking them to forgo their financial interest for the sake of my collection. My best work around for this was to literally pick up the scraps off the ground when people were grafting and I attempted to micro graft the pieces I could get. They were free but I had to be at the right place at the right time.

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to share some perspective and hopefully some suggestions to help you build your collection.

John
John

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 01:12:03 PM »
Hey John, I know this isnt the quite appropriate thread but a few years back I started collecting myrtaceaes, annonas, figs and other tropicals. Since I'm in AZ there isn't quite a jabo market like florida, have you ever sold fruit to restaurants or chefs to aid in your business? 5-10 years down the line I just want to continue trading/collecting with people and maybe sell fruits to local chefs to help fund the hobby. Or is it more profitable for you to just keep the fruit/seeds?

I hear you on the argument that it would be great to see genetic diversity moving freely back and forth. I think the issue is that most people who have put in a lot of time to build a collection would get run ragged if they gave scions or seeds to everyone who asked for them.

When I had a small collection I tried to make myself useful for collectors who needed help in exchange for plant material. I worked in trade for plants. I didn't have the money to buy all the plants I wanted but looked for way to source material and knowledge.

As I build my collection I looked for trading partners who had material I wanted. In fact I got some of my most rare varieties through trade with collectors around the country.

I slowly rolled my collection into a little nursery (I also have a full time job) and started selling plants on the side to fund my collection. I realize everyone can't do this because of space and time requirements, but it was my path.

Now I find myself in a different position where If I get a new species, it's not just a part of my collection, but also an asset. I've got cost sunk into getting the plant, likely some failures along the way, but at the end of the day I want to recoup the money I put into it and hopefully make some money to further my collection efforts

There are still quite a few plants I'm looking to collect(even with a nice collection to trade and willingness to pay), so you're not alone in wanting plants to more accessible, but as it stands, some stuff is just tough to find.

I think that when plants become more readily available people will be far more willing to share them, but as it stands, if I ask someone for a cutting that as a grafted tree would be worth hundreds of dollars, and I know they have limited budwood, I am essentially asking them to forgo their financial interest for the sake of my collection. My best work around for this was to literally pick up the scraps off the ground when people were grafting and I attempted to micro graft the pieces I could get. They were free but I had to be at the right place at the right time.

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to share some perspective and hopefully some suggestions to help you build your collection.

John
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 01:19:33 PM by hammer524 »

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 04:16:42 PM »
I'm really just hitting my stride in fruit production. My wife makes jelly and syrup out of jabos and the kids and I eat a ton of the fruit. More often than not there is enough for us to eat our fill and have some extra. There is a pretty reliable customer base for fruit, but I've only ever sold sabara or red. All the other varieties it's probably a better idea to plant/sell seeds. I have a kitchen manager who i'll be pitching a lot of fruit stuff to tis year so we'll see what happens.

Hey John, I know this isnt the quite appropriate thread but a few years back I started collecting myrtaceaes, annonas, figs and other tropicals. Since I'm in AZ there isn't quite a jabo market like florida, have you ever sold fruit to restaurants or chefs to aid in your business? 5-10 years down the line I just want to continue trading/collecting with people and maybe sell fruits to local chefs to help fund the hobby. Or is it more profitable for you to just keep the fruit/seeds?

John
John

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2022, 04:19:00 PM »
Very cool, best of luck.

thefruitguy

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • FancyPlants
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2022, 05:27:10 PM »
There is a grower in the US that said if we can all wait about a year, he will have many, many available when he launches them.

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2022, 05:33:14 PM »
Are you only referring to M. Glomerata?

There is a grower in the US that said if we can all wait about a year, he will have many, many available when he launches them.

brcb7tuner

• Livingston
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2022, 06:34:16 PM »
Are you only referring to M. Glomerata?

Yes we evidently have been talking with the same person about glomerata. Talked to someone else today also that has a tree coming soon. It won't be much longer.

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2022, 07:01:52 PM »
Agristarts won’t touch it. They were the first I went to when I started with camu camu. They have a history of screwing founders and researchers over. I have several renowned innovators each within horticultural genius level tell me of there experiences. It isn’t good.
I grow Camu Camu, it’s what I do.
Www.camucamufarms.com

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2022, 06:54:47 AM »
It’s all about supply and demand folks. Talking about it on here sure isn’t going to bring the demand down. I highly doubt people are just hoarding rare fruit plants for themselves. In this case it looks like Myrciaria glomerata is a more sensitive plant than some of the others in the genus if I only have a couple plants I wouldn’t risk cutting it if I thought it may stress it and make it slower to fruit. Also these produce fruits near the growing tips unlike Plinia. There is a guy in Portugal that is fruiting it now too so in a few years the supply will go up. 

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2022, 07:14:08 AM »
It’s all about supply and demand folks. Talking about it on here sure isn’t going to bring the demand down. I highly doubt people are just hoarding rare fruit plants for themselves. In this case it looks like Myrciaria glomerata is a more sensitive plant than some of the others in the genus if I only have a couple plants I wouldn’t risk cutting it if I thought it may stress it and make it slower to fruit. Also these produce fruits near the growing tips unlike Plinia. There is a guy in Portugal that is fruiting it now too so in a few years the supply will go up.

It’s actually one of the easiest to grow due to its cold tolerance. I have already started testing what it can take. No foliage damage until under 30°F. No serious foliage damage until under 23°F. It can take the largest amount of fertilizer out of all of the myrciarias and jabos I own. As for cuttings, it is like Hydra on crack.
Www.camucamufarms.com

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2022, 08:07:30 AM »

It’s actually one of the easiest to grow due to its cold tolerance. I have already started testing what it can take. No foliage damage until under 30°F. No serious foliage damage until under 23°F. It can take the largest amount of fertilizer out of all of the myrciarias and jabos I own. As for cuttings, it is like Hydra on crack.

Are your’s fruiting yet?

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2022, 08:47:43 AM »
Getting close…. I just took a look-see at “Demeter” this morning. She is looking rather lushes at the moment.
Www.camucamufarms.com

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2022, 09:08:54 AM »
Getting close…. I just took a look-see at “Demeter” this morning. She is looking rather lushes at the moment.

That’s awesome to hear. Have you tried grafting or rooting a cutting to have another plant to have as a backup?

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2022, 09:15:11 AM »
Yes I do get it with the hybrids he has created, but he has this because someone else was kind enough to share it with him from Brazil instead of hoarding. Evidently with the recent light on how easy it is to root these different jaboticaba from tiny cuttings and leafs has them running scared.

If anyone hasn't seen the videos or experimented themselves it has been very easy to root these, I've had success with all of them including strigipes and guaquiea.

https://youtu.be/HMz5fv10h4E

I haven’t seen a leaf cutting grow to a plant. How long would it take for a nursery to get one to a sellable size? Good to hear the Myrciarias you have were able to root from cuttings. What kind of success rate are you getting?

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2022, 09:18:31 AM »
Time will tell. At this time I am testing the plant itself and what "Demeter" can handle regarding the environment. So far, from the information I gathered, I was informed it can handle high elevations, low temps, high temps, low humidity, high humidity, some drought, constant water, limb damage with self-repair, high nutrient administration, no additives, and other fascinating features. Truly a goddess amongst this realm of fruit.
Www.camucamufarms.com

brcb7tuner

• Livingston
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2022, 10:36:58 AM »
I quit being interested in it as much after seeing the taste test. Sounds more like a novelty fruit like most of the Eugenia and some of the other myrciaria, not much pulp or taste, just a very expensive ornamental myrciaria. I think it would be more popular and more information on it in Brazil in the last 10 years it's been around if it were worth much.

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2022, 10:47:50 AM »
who did a taste test on it?
Www.camucamufarms.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk