Author Topic: Wax apple varieties  (Read 2225 times)

elriba

• Panama, Panama, Zone 13B / Miami, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Wax apple varieties
« on: March 10, 2022, 03:26:33 PM »
Hi,
I have eaten wax apples ever since I was a kid.  I had however only seen red ones with seeds.  A couple of months ago I was able to try a pale pink seedless variety.  I was pleasently surprised!

Are there many varieties of wax apples?  Which are the best varieties? 

Thanks,
Edgard

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Re: Wax apple varieties
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 03:29:14 PM »
In my home country, Indonesia, we have red, pink, green, and white wax apple.
In my experienced, the white one is the sweetest and biggest compared to others. It also has thicker flesh.
But it is very hard to find even in Indonesia now.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 06:24:12 PM »
The best ones are in Asia, you mentioning red with seeds I think you really ate Malayan apple which is soft and cottony and in my opinion lesser quality than wax jambu, (Syzygium samaranguense) the best varieties are in Indonesia Jambu air, Dalahari,
Taiwanese brown sugar baby is probably the best one,but those are not in USA yet, in USA look for decent ones as Black diamond, Black king Kong, etc
El verde es vida!

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 06:45:53 PM »
https://www.chfruittreenursery.com/product/white-wax-apple/ Not familiar with this seller but here are pics of the white one.

-Joe

elriba

• Panama, Panama, Zone 13B / Miami, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 06:55:40 PM »
The best ones are in Asia, you mentioning red with seeds I think you really ate Malayan apple which is soft and cottony and in my opinion lesser quality than wax jambu, (Syzygium samaranguense) the best varieties are in Indonesia Jambu air, Dalahari,
Taiwanese brown sugar baby is probably the best one,but those are not in USA yet, in USA look for decent ones as Black diamond, Black king Kong, etc
Hi Raul,
You are right!   The one I knew was malayan apple (Syzygium malaccense), and the last one I ate was a water apple (Syzygium aqueum), a variety from Taiwan who someone is growing here in Panama.   Now I don't think I have tried a wax jambu (Syzygium samaranguense).
Thanks for the clarification.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 09:31:55 PM »
https://www.chfruittreenursery.com/product/white-wax-apple/ Not familiar with this seller but here are pics of the white one.

-Joe

I had spent quiet a bit of money buying from that seller.  Many died.  The plants were grown from cutting of tooth pick size.  Plants were not in good shape to ship in the first place. 

Green varieties tend to be sweeter.  Last year, I have so much fruits,  I tried to dry the cracked/split ones.  I did not like the taste of the dried fruit.  Here is a picture of the green one.  The fruits get a tint of pink if not exposed to sun.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 11:02:43 PM »

-Joe

I had spent quiet a bit of money buying from that seller.  Many died.  The plants were grown from cutting of tooth pick size.  Plants were not in good shape to ship in the first place. 

Green varieties tend to be sweeter.  Last year, I have so much fruits,  I tried to dry the cracked/split ones.  I did not like the taste of the dried fruit.  Here is a picture of the green one.  The fruits get a tint of pink if not exposed to sun.

I brought 3 wax apply varieties from this sellers as well last year.  They were very small, and they are start showing some new leafs.

And I brought 3 black pearl from a seller in the local group farmers last week.  I heard black pearl is one of the best varieties in Taiwan.
The picture of the 3 black pearl

Hi Seng,

How long it took your tree started flowering?

Thanks,
Al
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:04:45 PM by pinkturtle »

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 12:15:44 AM »
The ones that I bought from him took about 4 years.  Your 3 plants are decent size.  This size, they are probable expensive.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 12:40:31 AM »
Thanks Seng.

It is not expensive, he sold them $25 each.  He sold them out with in 1/2 hour.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2022, 12:44:50 AM »
That is a fare/good  price.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2022, 07:31:06 AM »
Whoa! Those are nice plants. I have been looking for one of rhe "black" varieties. Those prices are great for trees that size.

I think Ong is San Diego is supposed to stock many varieties of these fruits.

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2022, 12:15:20 PM »
Yes, Ong  has many good varieties. He got one of my "Kecil" varieties I got from Frankies in Hawaii. Ong propagated many of them. It is one of the best I think he has.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2022, 10:35:23 PM »
Yes, Ong  has many good varieties. He got one of my "Kecil" varieties I got from Frankies in Hawaii. Ong propagated many of them. It is one of the best I think he has.
Care to describe it? I might pick one up when I go out there.

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2022, 12:01:42 PM »

-Joe

Do NOT buy from this nursery. It's very small, weak and expensive. Both me and my friend tree died.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2022, 12:24:07 PM »

-Joe

Do NOT buy from this nursery. It's very small, weak and expensive. Both me and my friend tree died.

Yes, they are very small and weak.  They need extension care, all 3 of my are survive.  I put them under a tree and covered with plastic bag over 3 months. the problem I had is he never label his trees.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 12:32:07 PM by pinkturtle »

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2022, 11:04:35 PM »
Care to describe it? I might pick one up when I go out there.
Yes, it is a very productive variety, it has more taste than most others I have tried. It is not real sweet, but has other flavors that make it good. If you email Lynne at Frankies nursery they may be able to tell you it's background.