Author Topic: What Type of Jackfruit at Publix?  (Read 779 times)

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
What Type of Jackfruit at Publix?
« on: March 12, 2022, 04:30:16 PM »
Since learning what a Jackfruit was, I’ve kept an eye out at my local Publix to give one a try. This weekend, I finally saw one that actually looked and felt ripe without starting to rot. It came in at just under 14 lbs and had surprisingly little latex. After cutting in half and taking out the center latexy portion, I was easily able to flip it inside out and start separating the flesh from the seeds (which was actually the most laborious part of the whole operation). I filled up two gallon ziplock bags with what I didn’t eat and stuck them in the freezer.

This was yellow fleshed and tasted like sweet juicy fruit bubble gum. It had less juice than I was expecting and not mushy. From reading about the different varieties, I assume this is one of the crunchy varieties. Does anyone know what the typical commercial varieties are?  It came from Coast Tropical, product of Mexico.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
Re: What Type of Jackfruit at Publix?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 02:09:17 PM »
Thank you for posting this, I came here to ask the exact same question except that I got mine from Hmart in the north east. I've never been a fan of Jackfruit, but this one with the yellowish/orangish tint had an amazing aroma that fills up the whole kitchen, and tasted as you described it: bubble gum.

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 12:51:36 PM »
My guess is they are seedlings. They sell them at grocery stores in my area as well, and they’re all imported from Mexico. I’ve had noticeably different types. It’s quite fun to see what type you get. Some have deep orange flesh and are soft and melting, others have bright yellow flesh and are super crunchy. Some of them get horrible rotted patches and never ripen properly. I’ve had some outstanding ones that have really beautiful bright orange flesh, crunchy type, with a tropical bubble gum, mango/banana flavor. All these variations make me think they are random seedlings, or maybe different known cultivars.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 12:58:38 PM »
My guess is they are seedlings. They sell them at grocery stores in my area as well, and they’re all imported from Mexico. I’ve had noticeably different types. It’s quite fun to see what type you get. Some have deep orange flesh and are soft and melting, others have bright yellow flesh and are super crunchy. Some of them get horrible rotted patches and never ripen properly. I’ve had some outstanding ones that have really beautiful bright orange flesh, crunchy type, with a tropical bubble gum, mango/banana flavor. All these variations make me think they are random seedlings, or maybe different known cultivars.

Awesome!
Sounds like a seed-sower's lottery.

Not like I'm headed to publix right now to check if we have any...