Author Topic: Atemoya scions on sugar-apple rootstock  (Read 983 times)

elriba

• Panama, Panama, Zone 13B / Miami, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Atemoya scions on sugar-apple rootstock
« on: April 01, 2022, 09:47:00 PM »
I have been grafting various atemoya varieties onto sugar-apple rootstock.  PHet Pak Chong took almost immediately, but the other varieties have not.  I did two PPK, and both of them worked after about a week.

I am wondering if some atemoyas are not graft compatible with sugar apples, or maybe I am just a lousy grafter   :)   Or both…

I am growing some cherimoya seeds to try on these.  About how long do I need to wait before I can use the cherimoya seedlings as rootstock?

Thanks

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Atemoya scions on sugar-apple rootstock
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 10:58:06 PM »
In my yard, about 1/2 of cherimoya seedlings, when started around March, are ready for grafting by November.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 11:24:47 PM »
Plan on a year, perhaps a little longer.

For me its is a combination of getting a decent size and getting a good time (spring) to graft.  I will let the Cherimoya I start early this year grow a whole year before grafting to it.
That said, I have grafted to a few small seedlings but I prefer half pencil diameter thickness or larger for the root stock.

12Zodiac

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 02:39:01 AM »
I recently grafted 7 varieties of atemayos to my big tree and PPC  were the first to take. Today I noticed the rest like super African pride and dr. White are beginning to sprout. Just be a little more patient.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 02:26:28 PM »
I have been grafting various atemoya varieties onto sugar-apple rootstock.  PHet Pak Chong took almost immediately, but the other varieties have not.  I did two PPK, and both of them worked after about a week.

I am wondering if some atemoyas are not graft compatible with sugar apples, or maybe I am just a lousy grafter   :)   Or both…

I am growing some cherimoya seeds to try on these.  About how long do I need to wait before I can use the cherimoya seedlings as rootstock?

Thanks

I'm curious as to the location of your grafting and date.  The reason I ask is because I did 12 grafts of various atemoyas in the last days of February first few days of March. I used Cherimoya, Reticulata and Squamosa for rootstock. The two failed grafts where on squamosa. Not necessarily because of compatibility (I think) but because at that time my squamosa seedlings where dormant and not actively growing or just beginning to grow again. The bigger the rootstock the better the take. 
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

elriba

• Panama, Panama, Zone 13B / Miami, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 05:27:34 PM »
I'm curious as to the location of your grafting and date.  The reason I ask is because I did 12 grafts of various atemoyas in the last days of February first few days of March. I used Cherimoya, Reticulata and Squamosa for rootstock. The two failed grafts where on squamosa. Not necessarily because of compatibility (I think) but because at that time my squamosa seedlings where dormant and not actively growing or just beginning to grow again. The bigger the rootstock the better the take.

I did these mid-march in Panama.   Sugar-apples don't go completely dormant in Panama, but during the dry season (which ends in April), they lose some leaves and growth is delayed.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 06:55:01 PM »
Makes Sense. Thanks
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk