Author Topic: Monster Rambutans  (Read 1043 times)

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
Monster Rambutans
« on: April 10, 2022, 07:22:15 AM »
Rambutan season has almost finished here. Been feasting on loads of rambutan most days for the last month or so. We have 3 trees, all around twenty five years old. Interestingly, one tree produces particularly large fruits. They taste great and I have certainly enjoyed the crop, as have the flying foxes and cockatoos, haha.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 07:27:46 AM by fruit nerd »

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Rambutans
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 07:27:36 AM »
Rambutan season has almost finished here. Been feasting on loads of rambutan most days for the last month or so. We have 3 trees, all around twenty five years old. Interestingly, one tree produces particularly large fruits. They taste great and I have certainly enjoyed the crop, as have the flying foxes and cockatoos, haha.

Ok. So let me get this straight. You're feasting on rambutans and you haven't sent us any? Come on man. Put some of those trees in a box and send it to us. I'll even help with the shipping ;D ;D ;D ;D

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 07:52:11 AM »
Ha, how rude of me. I have been sharing as well, far too much for my family to eat by ourselves :)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 12:29:24 PM »
Wow those are huge, very nice. 

I saw some larger-than-usual egg shaped rambutans at stores lately, but this blows them away.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 07:48:41 PM »
What cultivar are those? To be honest I have never seen a Rambutan tree for sale in the States. I'm not saying they are not for sale but I have never seen the trees for sale in any of the place I have went.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 08:11:57 PM »
I have seen fruit nerds trees and eaten some of his rambutan and they are next level I haven't had nor seen rambutans as good as his and the size of them is incredible.  I dont know why they are so big but those trees should be cherished.

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 10:22:25 PM »
Got to be the Guano.

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 12:31:46 AM »
What cultivar are those? To be honest I have never seen a Rambutan tree for sale in the States. I'm not saying they are not for sale but I have never seen the trees for sale in any of the place I have went.

Unfortunately, I do not know much about the trees. They were planted by the original owner of the property. Believe they are most likely seedling trees since I cannot see the graft. Perhaps the one tree producing very large fruits was just random genetics. They really are much larger than any rambutan I have seen being sold around here.

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 12:34:14 AM »
I have seen fruit nerds trees and eaten some of his rambutan and they are next level I haven't had nor seen rambutans as good as his and the size of them is incredible.  I dont know why they are so big but those trees should be cherished.

Thanks! Interestingly, the cockatoos have finally come back here. Our trees were getting smashed this morning, fortunately, I have picked pretty much everything that I can reach.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 09:43:29 AM »
Those are definitely big but from my experience eating the larger ones doesn’t necessarily mean better or sweeter. In fact I find less large ones usually have a better texture and are sweeter but this isn’t always the case

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 09:58:46 PM »
Agree, certainly not better but I like the novelty factor of the big fruits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk