Author Topic: could this be guavaberry?  (Read 943 times)

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
could this be guavaberry?
« on: April 12, 2022, 04:55:31 PM »

This one

Because i found this image @ internet

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: could this be guavaberry?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 06:22:34 PM »
I wish I could help. I spent the 1980's in St Croix Virgin Islands where Guavaberry was highly prized. So much so that the people who knew where it grew wild wouldn't even show me, an outsider from "stateside", where it grew. There must be substantial amounts because every year people would have the liquor to share around and it was very good. I did some searching and did find that it is also known from Saint Maarten in the Dutch antilles here is a view and some recipes for how it is used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqYlo10SEQY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8381C6mhbsg

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 07:33:25 PM »
I wish I could help. I spent the 1980's in St Croix Virgin Islands where Guavaberry was highly prized. So much so that the people who knew where it grew wild wouldn't even show me, an outsider from "stateside", where it grew. There must be substantial amounts because every year people would have the liquor to share around and it was very good. I did some searching and did find that it is also known from Saint Maarten in the Dutch antilles here is a view and some recipes for how it is used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqYlo10SEQY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8381C6mhbsg

Thanks i have seen those videos before :)
I have bought seeds online before but they never germinate for me. there's a town over here where they sell a liquor made out of Guavaberry but finding the fruit itself it's a bit rare and there's an old man who sells em if i am able to get ahold of the phone number.

This seedling was sold as an eugenia but they "forgot what it was" and will tell me later. Guess i will ask the botanist again what this is.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 11:02:40 AM by digigarden »

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 07:36:54 PM »
update:the seller says it's eugenia rhombea. makes sense to me.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 07:39:34 PM by digigarden »

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 11:01:45 AM »

i'm set...seeds from farwell have germinated more or less after 7 months 0.0

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 11:11:30 AM »
Nice!-

Stories like these are why I have 100 4" pots with seeds on my table

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 11:14:26 AM »
Nice!-

Stories like these are why I have 100 4" pots with seeds on my table
xD sounds like me with all the annonas i bought last year but i won't throw them away until 2024.

it's supposed to take 6 months to germinate but i didn't believe :)

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 11:18:34 AM »
  if it helps anyone ID

Myrciaria Floribunda-Rumberry/Guavaberry

Myrciaria Dubia-Camu Camu

Eugenia Rhombea-Red Stopper

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 06:42:26 PM »
I bought some seeds from Tang Tonic in late 2020 or early 2021. They took their sweet time germinating and did not grow very quickly after they finally germinated. Knowing how slow and irregular their germination rate is, I did not toss the un-germinated seeds. They have been kept moist and warm; so, who knows; maybe the rest of them will show some signs of life at some point?

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 09:34:50 PM »
I bought some seeds from Tang Tonic in late 2020 or early 2021. They took their sweet time germinating and did not grow very quickly after they finally germinated. Knowing how slow and irregular their germination rate is, I did not toss the un-germinated seeds. They have been kept moist and warm; so, who knows; maybe the rest of them will show some signs of life at some point?

I planted about 50 seeds from fresh fruit in late October. They were babied with rain and spring water while sitting on a temp controlled heat mat. Seven months later...about 10 have sprouted ??? including a couple last week. So yeah, very sporadic. Don't give up on them. I did recently crank up the heat mat a few degrees at night. Maybe that helped the recent sprouts

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 10:15:06 PM »

I planted about 50 seeds from fresh fruit in late October. They were babied with rain and spring water while sitting on a temp controlled heat mat. Seven months later...about 10 have sprouted ??? including a couple last week. So yeah, very sporadic. Don't give up on them. I did recently crank up the heat mat a few degrees at night. Maybe that helped the recent sprouts

I had slightly better luck. I bought twenty-five seeds, and seven germinated, though one of them damped off for some reason. I have not seen anyone in the US post here on the Forum of having a Guavaberry/Rumberry germination rate better than 25%. Perhaps in the Caribbean they have a better germination rate. Though, unless there are nutrients or a mycorrhizal relationship present in the Caribbean which Guavaberry/Rumberry requires and we lack, I cannot imagine better conditions than seed starting mix, on a heating mat, indoors, and free from predators.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 03:31:11 PM »
rumberry=2 out of 5
camu camu=4 out of 5

tell you if i get more later.