Author Topic: How to prune newly grafted Annona?  (Read 585 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
How to prune newly grafted Annona?
« on: April 27, 2022, 03:23:03 PM »
Hi all, I have several newly grafted Annona.  They are mostly Atemoya and Cherimoya.  I have a question on how to prune them.  I want the plant to continue to grow as the main branch or trunk of the tree.  So should I remove all of the new growth on the scions except for one branch?  If so when should I do this?  For example the picture below.  Should I remove one of the main new branches?

Thanks,
Bill

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: How to prune newly grafted Annona?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 06:19:08 PM »
I would not remove the lower branch now. If the upper branch needs to straighten
more I would put a stake in and make the upper branch grow straight up and
become the center leader, but right now it looks like it is doing it on it's own?
 For now the only branches I would remove would be anything below the graft line

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 06:47:33 PM »
This is a really good topic, thanks for bring it up.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 07:11:22 PM »
Its better to have annonas be branching really low to the ground so you can reach the flowers.  I would let both the branches grow and not try and have a long central trunk.  Like 12-18 inches max on the main trunk of a annona tree where it starts to branch out or in 4 or 5 years you will regret it.   

How far from the dirt are those branches?  If you have to remove one, go ahead and do it now, it wont hurt anything.  You could stake it up straight like was mentioned if you are going to only keep 1.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 07:14:59 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 09:17:02 PM »
You are better off with multiple branches. You can always prune later. You are not out of the woods yet and one can still die back, one could be consumed by bugs, or just snap for various reasons. I had a neighboring tree fall over and snap off these tender branches. A bird could decide your graft is a good perch.
Brandon

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 10:24:06 PM »
That is all good advice.  Thanks.  Those branches are actually at 22".  So I will leave them.  On my shorter grafts I will trim off all of the other branches once the grafts get a little older.

Thanks,
Bill