Author Topic: Pawpaw in 9B  (Read 2818 times)

mannadiars

• Riverview, FL, 9B
    • View Profile
Pawpaw in 9B
« on: April 30, 2022, 06:09:04 PM »
Whats the pawpaw variety which will do well in Tampa, FL (9B)?  Anyone knows where we can try this/ buy the fruit?

directrepeat

• Austin, Texas USA zone 8b
    • View Profile
Re: Pawpaw in 9B
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 07:25:32 PM »
I'm skeptical that it will grow in FL. It's hard enough to get pawpaw to grow here in Texas (Zone 8a)--basically you have to keep the young trees protected in the shade for many years and provide lots of water. But there are some native FL Asimina species you might try. I have heard that some A. parviflora have decent fruit.

You can find pawpaw for sale online but not until early fall. And it ripens and rots extremely quickly, so it has to be shipped and consumed rapidly.

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 10:12:46 PM »
Grows for me in CA 9B but I’m not sure how high humidity will affect it for your area

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 05:01:12 AM »
Asimina triloba (aka the common pawpaw or Indian banana) may grow here in Florida 9b (Tampa), but it is going to need a lot more chilling hours to initiate its dormancy cycle and then be able to flower and set fruit than Tampa can offer it.

This native pawpaw ranges down to just inside the Florida state line in the Apalachicola River basin west of Tallahassee, but that is the southermost extent of its natural range. 

Suggest that you locate a copy of Andrew Moore's book, "Pawpaw: In Search of America’s Forgotten Fruit",  for more detailed info on this species.  It's a fascinating book about this singularly temperate Annona relative.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 11:15:05 AM by Epicatt2 »

mannadiars

• Riverview, FL, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 08:22:15 AM »
Thank you for the responses.  Appreciate it, Paul you are in Tampa :) Are you friends with Randy (Wiley)?

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 09:36:42 AM »
Based on FL native plant society, I believe there are 6 pawpaws native to central FL:

Asimina Obovata (Bigflower Pawpaw), Asimina Parviflora (Smallflower Pawpaw), Asimina Pygmaea  (Dwarf Pawpaw), Asimina Incana (Wooly Pawpaw), Asimina Angustifolia  (Slimleaf Pawpaw), Asimina Reticulata (Netted Pawpaw).

There's one native to South Florida - Asimina Tetramera  (Four Petaled Pawpaw). And Asimina Triloba (Common Pawpaw) in North Florida.

There was a pawpaw nursery in Central FL 9B (Pietro's Pawpaws) but it seems they're now closed.  Interested if anyone knows more.

mannadiars

• Riverview, FL, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 01:06:04 PM »
Thanks, let me know if you find out a place where they are selling FL friendly pawpaws :)

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 01:09:44 PM »
Some wild trilobas are barely worth eating. And i have heard they are the best tasting ones. Other species not very palatable and extremely small and seedy. Has anyone actually eaten one other than triloba?

As some have said, the plant will grow vegetation. But proper chill hours for bloom and fruit set may not occur. The person in California may be in a valley and/or has a longer winter. I have heard there are some folks attempting to hybridize triloba with reticulata or one of the florida species to get better fruits down there. But dont believe they are ready for production. There are some pawpaw groups on facebook with extremely dedicated members

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 02:07:53 PM »
Also interested in FL asiminas. A friend is growing only native species, and is seeking, as am I (I grow whatever).

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 02:57:38 PM »
Good grief, there are 2 more native to central FL, Asimina rugelii (Rugel's Pawpaw) and Asimina pulchella (Beautiful Pawpaw) that are endangered.

Green Isle Gardens and Lukas Nursery list some on their plant lists, would need to call to confirm. In Tampa area, Wilcox nursery is known for having native plants.

Reading a bit more, some people think the flowers smell like carrion and some are highly allergic to pawpaw fruit, definitely best to check one out in person first if possible :)

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 04:39:13 PM »
A while ago I read in one of pawpaw grower forum about Wabash pawpaw.
One grower in Texas swears that Wabash is the best and the most productive pawpaw for warmer zone. Additional bonus, according to him Wabash is self fertile, because when he only has one Wabash he gets plenty of fruit. He tried growing other varieties, but only Wabash thrives.
Based on his testimony, I purchased a Wabash and a Shenandoah.
I am in zone 10A, with dry and hot wind.
Both trees planted in ground 2.5 years ago from skinny sticks out of a 4" pot .
Wabash almost get full sun with just a bit of shade, Shenandoah get about 40% shade.
They are 10ft apart. My Wabash is now almost 6 ft tall with 4 branches, and Shenandoah is only 3 ft tall with 2 branches.
Wabash thrives here. On the first year I give extra water (3-4 times a week), but now I only water them once a week.
They both are growing, but Wabash is clearly a champion.
Time will tell if I will get any fruit.

mannadiars

• Riverview, FL, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 10:45:26 PM »
Thanks for a detailed reply.  Where did you buy that from?

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 01:50:37 AM »
Thanks for a detailed reply.  Where did you buy that from?

I got mine from this nursery:

https://restoringeden.co/product-category/fruit-trees/pawpaw/

They always sell out fast, you have to order around September/ October. According to many reviews, Wabash produces big and delicious fruit without aftertaste, and it clearly grows really well in warmer zones.
If you don't mind a little bit bitter aftertaste close to the skin, Sunflower pawpaw is the other variety that does really well in the hot area.

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2022, 08:25:13 AM »
There are definitely wild trilobas here in North fl. Supposed they may grow better with less chill hours than ones from further north. Hard to catch the fruit on them let alone harvest them before animals do.
Trying to grow it all!

mannadiars

• Riverview, FL, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2022, 10:30:53 AM »
Thank you, you all have a lot of knowledge and thanks for sharing them. Have a great week ahead!!

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2023, 09:54:12 AM »
[Moved to Discussion Page by OP]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 03:16:56 AM by Epicatt2 »

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2023, 02:37:02 PM »
I'm off to the western side of Apalachicola more near the Chipola River basin. I do have two triloba trees in my yard in part shade that seem to be doing well. They did flower the past two seasons but didn't set fruit. They kinda flower offset from each other might be why they didn't make fruit. They were from Just Fruits and Exotics which were called select pawpaw seedlings. Think they were grown from seed from trees near their area but could be wrong. I have otherwise found wild pawpaw stands near the river here that appear to possibly be triloba but some people in pawpaw groups on Facebook seem to think it's a naturally occurring hybrid pawpaw. Fruit is decent sized but not as big as up north. Haven't been able to try them so far. Tried to get them before animals did this year but animals are on them as soon as they ripen. There's also bunches of angustifolia up here which I have tried. Fruit smells good but flavor isn't the greatest or very sweet. Either way would be great to grow for deer and such as well as butterflies.
Trying to grow it all!

Sir Graftalot

• Where the wood at?
    • U.S.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2023, 03:27:09 PM »
A while ago I read in one of pawpaw grower forum about Wabash pawpaw.
One grower in Texas swears that Wabash is the best and the most productive pawpaw for warmer zone. Additional bonus, according to him Wabash is self fertile, because when he only has one Wabash he gets plenty of fruit. He tried growing other varieties, but only Wabash thrives.
Based on his testimony, I purchased a Wabash and a Shenandoah.
I am in zone 10A, with dry and hot wind.
Both trees planted in ground 2.5 years ago from skinny sticks out of a 4" pot .
Wabash almost get full sun with just a bit of shade, Shenandoah get about 40% shade.
They are 10ft apart. My Wabash is now almost 6 ft tall with 4 branches, and Shenandoah is only 3 ft tall with 2 branches.
Wabash thrives here. On the first year I give extra water (3-4 times a week), but now I only water them once a week.
They both are growing, but Wabash is clearly a champion.
Time will tell if I will get any fruit.
I know this comes a little late, but I can attest that wabash is indeed self fertile. I'm in NY (zone 7b), I have a wabash growing in my backyard and I don't think anyone else in the area has a flowering pawpaw, but I was able to get a decent number of fruits this season. They were a bit on the smaller size, but it's probably because this is the first year I have gotten a crop off of it. Taste wise, I think Peterson's other varieties are better...this one kind of gave me a little bit of a pukey feeling after eating just one, while I can normally gorge down at least 2 susquehannas no problem.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2023, 07:35:37 PM »
Does anyone know what ever came of Duckworth A, Duckworth B, and Duckworth C? They were bred in Florida as I recall and were supposedly decended from paw paws native to the very southern tip of Louisianna.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk