Author Topic: tropical,subtropical and temperate fruits grown at the same place....  (Read 859 times)

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
So i was given the phone number of a farmer who grows all this stuff in the Dominican Republic and it's low-mid elevation like 180mt...sure it's not sea level that would be a bit too much but still a bit shocked....

Ultra tropicals like Breadfruit
tropicals:Coconut,Mango,Cambuca
subtropicals:Guaviyu,Litchi,Cherimoya Cumbe(for you ppl in florida),Capulin cherry
and even temperate stuff like real cherries and peaches all growing at the same place(that has little to no cold)!!!

Which means you can grow all this stuff in a slightly tropical-subtropical place if you find the right varieties.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
sounds like a dream-

surely these are the low chill varieties that are more recently developed?

Does this farmer get a cold snap and cover?

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
sounds like a dream-

surely these are the low chill varieties that are more recently developed?

Does this farmer get a cold snap and cover?

maybe gets some nights at 16-18C during winter but not lower than this..

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
I would be very interested to know the stone fruit varietals

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
Real cherries?! Yes, please inform of varieties.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
I would be very interested to know the stone fruit varietals

They sell these plants for quite cheap, so i will eventually get these and maybe you guys can help me find out...the guy over there is a simple worker that did farming for the real mastermind behind the project(who worked for the government and is now old so he gave the plants to his loyal worker who is a good guy but has problems spelling so much more with "variety names")

I did call over there and asked if everything really produces fruit and if they are growing these on a hill?(there's like a 500+ mt hill not far from there) that would mean 700+mt altitude..there may be cold winds from the mountains that fall into that valley? as you said during the winter. hmmm there's some stuff i need to go there myself a few times to find out. But the guy claims to be growing these at the center of the valley that is like 180mt altitude
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 09:34:39 AM by digigarden »

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
Thanks for your follow up, will be interesting to see how it all plays out in regard to stone fruit.

As you said, 16C or 60F for that latitude, elevation and mountain valley exposure sounds about right but is a long ways from 45F and below.

It reasons that a mythical no chill true cherry would involve some combination of government research, a guy who knows a guy’s cousin and probably missing labels for good measure :)

pagnr

• View Profile
Mixing deciduous temperate fruit trees, such as stone fruit etc with subtropical evergreens can also provide extra light in winter, when leaves have fallen.
Shade can be also provided in summer when the deciduous trees are leafed out.
A mix of leafless trees will let spring sunshine into the orchard earlier than in the case of an evergreen orchard alone.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk