Author Topic: annona flowers not setting fruit  (Read 1412 times)

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
annona flowers not setting fruit
« on: May 04, 2022, 10:53:48 PM »
I've tried hand pollination on like 8 different flowers, to which neither set fruit. I live in anaheim and its an atemoya tree
:blank:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 09:18:51 PM by Sp0nser »

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Re: annona flowers not setting fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 11:23:56 PM »
How old is your tree? My Geffner did not produce fruit the first 2 years on the ground even with hand pollination.
In the 3rd year I got lazy and didn't do any hand pollination and it set 2 fruits by itself.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 11:38:05 PM »
You need to make sure the flower stigma is sticky.  Sometime even you pollinated the stigma but the stigma was not ready for the pollen. 

I break the flower paddles to where I can see the stigma and make sure the pollen can stick on it.  The best time here for pollination is @7:30PM - 8PM.  Hope that can help you.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 11:39:56 PM by pinkturtle »

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 12:20:29 AM »
How old is your tree? My Geffner did not produce fruit the first 2 years on the ground even with hand pollination.
In the 3rd year I got lazy and didn't do any hand pollination and it set 2 fruits by itself.

Its about 4 years old

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 12:30:28 AM »
You need to make sure the flower stigma is sticky.  Sometime even you pollinated the stigma but the stigma was not ready for the pollen. 

I break the flower paddles to where I can see the stigma and make sure the pollen can stick on it.  The best time here for pollination is @7:30PM - 8PM.  Hope that can help you.
And yes, the stigmas are sticky. I've checked various times.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 12:49:05 AM »
When and how did you collect pollen?

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 05:30:00 AM »
I lke to place a spoiling citrus fruit into the pots of my annonas when they are flowering and let those tiny brown beetles that come to feast on the spoiling citrus do the job of pollinating of my annonas.

The beetles are around all day long because they are attracted to the citrus fruit in the pot and enough of them apparently visit the annona flowers at the right times of day to effect some pollinating.

I usually get five to eight fruit set on my sugar apple in a five gallon pot this way.  Without the citrus fruit and beetles I tend to see only three or four fruit set on it.

I guess you could say this is the lazy man's way for getting fruit to set but it works for me.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 07:36:54 AM »
I have a Lisa atemoya; I notice that timing and which variety make a difference. Timing, there is a short period when the flower fully mature but not wilt yet - 12-36 hours. When the flower start to slightly crack open that's when the best chance to pollinate.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 10:59:13 AM »
It’s not you.
It’s the flower’s fault.
Few to no pollens when so cool overnight at this time.
Plenty of pollen by 4th week of May.

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 05:29:02 PM »
When and how did you collect pollen?

i collect pollen usually the same day I pollinate

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 05:30:09 PM »
I lke to place a spoiling citrus fruit into the pots of my annonas when they are flowering and let those tiny brown beetles that come to feast on the spoiling citrus do the job of pollinating of my annonas.

The beetles are around all day long because they are attracted to the citrus fruit in the pot and enough of them apparently visit the annona flowers at the right times of day to effect some pollinating.

I usually get five to eight fruit set on my sugar apple in a five gallon pot this way.  Without the citrus fruit and beetles I tend to see only three or four fruit set on it.

I guess you could say this is the lazy man's way for getting fruit to set but it works for me.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

i dont think brown beetles are native here

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2022, 05:36:54 PM »
I'm beginning to think annona flowers won't set just due to enviromental factors(humidity, temperature ect.)
so it might be virtually impossibe to get fruit here.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2022, 09:43:40 PM »
Just throwing this out there but make sure you are using a high quality brush that is natural horse or camel hair vs synthetic bristle.

Previously I was using a synthetic bristle brush just because it was available from my kids art set. I was getting fruit set though seemingly low success. I switched to horse hair bristle brush and fruit set is gangbusters. I think it’s because real hair brush has microfiber ridges along the hairs that adhere pollen better and it’s gentler to inside delicate flower parts vs synthetic bristle. Another factor is type of pollen used, here a study where sugar apple pollen was most potent pollen to pollinate an arka Sahan vs the very arka sahan pollen itself, anecdotally I can’t seem to get geffner pollinated with painter FKA (cherilata) pollen going on two years now but not giving up. https://www.iihr.res.in/artificial-pollination-improve-set-size-and-shape-arka-sahan-custard-apple-fruits

-Joe

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 01:06:15 AM »
Just throwing this out there but make sure you are using a high quality brush that is natural horse or camel hair vs synthetic bristle.

Previously I was using a synthetic bristle brush just because it was available from my kids art set. I was getting fruit set though seemingly low success. I switched to horse hair bristle brush and fruit set is gangbusters. I think it’s because real hair brush has microfiber ridges along the hairs that adhere pollen better and it’s gentler to inside delicate flower parts vs synthetic bristle. Another factor is type of pollen used, here a study where sugar apple pollen was most potent pollen to pollinate an arka Sahan vs the very arka sahan pollen itself, anecdotally I can’t seem to get geffner pollinated with painter FKA (cherilata) pollen going on two years now but not giving up. https://www.iihr.res.in/artificial-pollination-improve-set-size-and-shape-arka-sahan-custard-apple-fruits

-Joe

Interesting, i've never heard of this before. Can you refer me to a website or store selling said brush, where did you buy it?

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2022, 08:56:39 AM »
Royal Langnickel Camel Brush Set... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BERH50?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The white bristle one in picture I got from hobby lobby, here is ones I’ve been using lately with black camel bristles you can see the pollen on bristles. Royal Langnickel Camel Brush Set... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BERH50?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

-joe

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2022, 02:57:29 PM »
Royal Langnickel Camel Brush Set... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BERH50?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The white bristle one in picture I got from hobby lobby, here is ones I’ve been using lately with black camel bristles you can see the pollen on bristles. Royal Langnickel Camel Brush Set... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BERH50?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

-joe

Isnt it a little too big for annona flowers?

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2022, 12:02:30 PM »
Nope the petals separate some and it slides right in 👍

-joe

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2022, 09:12:41 PM »
The problem has resolved itself. Random annona fruit buds have appeared on my tree that I have not pollinated. I have no idea how since annona pollinators aren't found in california, but I'm not complaining.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 09:19:26 PM by Sp0nser »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk