Author Topic: rare annona growers of socal, do you expect fruit out of your annonas?  (Read 1397 times)

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
Recently i've been thinking, our conditions here in socal aren't very suitible to fruit tropical annona fruits like ilama, soncoya or rollinia. did anyone know this and just growing them for the hell of it or do you have a special setup that provides the conditions required to fruit the annonas?

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
Guess im the only one then

Bear

• Australia
    • View Profile
Sorry I can't offer much personally;

On the 'California Rare Fruit Growers' Facebook page people bring them up a bit, I'm not sure if you're on there or not.

Do you know the guy/page Man vs Fruit? I'm not sure if he's on here or not because I don't know who he is lol- but he has a great range of Annona and sells on eBay through this account: https://www.ebay.com/sch/akitu-trees/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
He's also well connected to other growers in the area (San Diego) and knows tips and tricks so hopefully he posts here, if not flick him a message on facebook :)

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
he is on here with the same name

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Southern California is an arid desert , Rollinia prefer 100% humidity, ton’s of water and temps not going below 50 degree’s.
This in a nutshell is what limits plenty of tropical fruits in So Cal.

South Florida is high humidity and rains all summer.
Comparing 10b CA, and 10b FL are apples and oranges.

I just saw 3 huge Soncoya tree’s in FL and they will never fruit because hand pollination is necessary.
Same with lots of Annona.

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
I heard in a fruit&spice park tour the lady said the Rollinia is the hardiest Annona there. So maybe planting a Rollinia in SoCal near a pond or something to increase humidity could work

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
Ah crap.
I ordered a few annona conica seeds in hopes that they would fruit one day.
guess not.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Sorry I can't offer much personally;

On the 'California Rare Fruit Growers' Facebook page people bring them up a bit, I'm not sure if you're on there or not.

Do you know the guy/page Man vs Fruit? I'm not sure if he's on here or not because I don't know who he is lol- but he has a great range of Annona and sells on eBay through this account: https://www.ebay.com/sch/akitu-trees/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
He's also well connected to other growers in the area (San Diego) and knows tips and tricks so hopefully he posts here, if not flick him a message on facebook :)

Hmmm

Anyhoo, I'm growing some illama seedlings to graft to my cherimoya's for the purpose of FRUIT. I'm not interested in growing them out as trees, though.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
That’s a weird thing to say, maybe they do not understand how Annona defoliation works?
I’ve seen Rollinia fruiting in Goleta, so it is possible anywhere south of that.
It can be done.
Rollina is also extremely variable from seed with a wide native range and genetic pool and no named or known selections that can be traced somewhere .
Finding the region in Central America or South America that has the most cold adapted Rollinia Deliciosa is a worthy search.

I heard in a fruit&spice park tour the lady said the Rollinia is the hardiest Annona there. So maybe planting a Rollinia in SoCal near a pond or something to increase humidity could work

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
That’s a weird thing to say, maybe they do not understand how Annona defoliation works?
I’ve seen Rollinia fruiting in Goleta, so it is possible anywhere south of that.
It can be done.
Rollina is also extremely variable from seed with a wide native range and genetic pool and no named or known selections that can be traced somewhere .
Finding the region in Central America or South America that has the most cold adapted Rollinia Deliciosa is a worthy search.

here in orange, humidity usually doesnt go above 50 percent while goleta has pretty high humidity, about 70 percent.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
I think growing Cherimoya’s are the answer and then top work with other Annona’s once established.
Closer to the coast is going to be better for Rollinia with the increased humidity.

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
Not even my atemoyas I've hand pollinated give fruit and I have no idea why.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
A large Rollinia promptly died during my 9b winter (RIP buddy). It's a no go for me for anything but cherimoya and atemoya me thinks.