Author Topic: Didn't root prune when transplanting - problem?  (Read 471 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
Didn't root prune when transplanting - problem?
« on: July 02, 2022, 01:11:19 PM »
I planted a number of trees a few months back. At the nursery, they told me not to prune the roots, so I didn't. Now I have some worry that I should have. Anything that I can do at this point?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Didn't root prune when transplanting - problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 02:11:37 PM »
I only root prune from potted plants when necessary.
How were the roots, were they circling the pot?
Also, how big were the potted trees and pot they were in?

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 02:50:12 PM »
I only root prune from potted plants when necessary.
How were the roots, were they circling the pot?
Also, how big were the potted trees and pot they were in?

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I don't remember what the roots were like. They were in 7 gallons and, to me, many seemed like they were small for being in 7 gallon pots. The jackfruit seemed appropriately potted, but the rest were small given the size of the pot. My Glenn mango was large for the pot. I didn't root prune it either but I planted it on compacted soil. So I dug it up and replanted. I'm hoping that could have helped in the event that root pruning was needed.

So at this point, is there anything that I could or should do? Or do I just need to wait and see what happens and pay more attention in the future?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 03:21:04 PM »
Generally, root pruning is more likely necessary in the opposite of your situation, when a tree is in a pot too small for its size. Small trees in large pots usually do not have circling roots. After removing a plant from a pot, I pull at the bottom edge of the root ball in a few places. Small white fibrous roots are not circling roots and should be left alone. If you feel thick roots along the bottom edge, it is probably best to pull the circling root until you find the point that the root changed direction from vertical to horizontal and cut it above the bend. Sometimes the roots circle higher up. In that case, I use and knife or snippers to cut top-to-bottom vertical slits an inch or so deep into the root ball in 4 or 5 spots.  At this point, since your trees have been in the ground for months, it is better to just leave the trees alone.
Brandon