Author Topic: Mysore vs Raja Puri vs Pisang Raja  (Read 1675 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Mysore vs Raja Puri vs Pisang Raja
« on: June 06, 2022, 09:05:36 AM »
Are these three banana varieties all distinct enough that it's worth having all three?  Thank you.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Mysore vs Raja Puri vs Pisang Raja
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 10:23:10 AM »
Probably not, but I'm just guessing.  ;D  (Trying to get the conversation going.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 10:55:49 AM by johnb51 »
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 11:16:29 AM »
lol thanks..

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 11:46:32 AM »
Mysore is an excellent banana.  It tastes delicious with a slight berry taste.  The plant is a very vigorous grower and it produces HUGE bunches of delicious bananas.  It is a winner and a must have in my opinion.  The only bad things about it are that it gets very tall, about 12-15 feet, and it needs propping.

Raja Puri tastes similar to Brazilian or Dwarf Brazilian but in my opinion it isn't as good.  I would recommend the Brazilian or Dwarf Brazilian.

Pisang Raja is Manzano.  I stopped growing Manzano.  It was a pain to grow.  It was tall and skinny and usually the PS broke even with propping.  And when I did get the fruit to ripen they were small and unexceptional.  But with that said in Florida with your excessive amount of heat they may grow and taste better.  It is a very popular banana in many very hot tropical areas like Florida.  So your growing experience maybe totally different than mine.

Good luck.

Bill

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 12:31:42 PM »
Good information, Bill, but I think you might be right about SoFlo producing different results than SoCal.  However, it's good to do know how good Mysore is, which I think applies here as well as there.
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 12:49:22 PM »
Thank you Bill.  Definitely interested in hearing FL opinions though your Cali opinion is very valuable as well!

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 01:31:56 PM »
Raja puri is the best banana in terms of fruit taste and healthy, tough plant in my opinion. In Florida they bear fruit regularly.  A lot of other varieties either hard to get fruit or the fruit is only ok.

Raja puri is also about 6 to 8 feet. Not to tall which is a good size. But fat plant. Pretty cold hardy too.

Mysore and raja puri are both worth getting

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 02:24:53 PM »
I think you would love Pisang Ceylon and Mysore, Pisang ceylon seems to have bigger fruit and more berry flavor while mysore seem to be smaller fruit  and more honey flavor.
Raja puri grow like a dwarf compared to the other two, the fruit is excellent eating with mild berry flavor.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 03:10:20 PM »
I think you would love Pisang Ceylon and Mysore, Pisang ceylon seems to have bigger fruit and more berry flavor while mysore seem to be smaller fruit  and more honey flavor.
Raja puri grow like a dwarf compared to the other two, the fruit is excellent eating with mild berry flavor.

Is pisang ceylong the same as pisang raja?

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2022, 05:03:59 PM »
No Pisang raja sounds like a great banana though, do others agree Pisang raja is the manzano banana? Are their other names for this banana?

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2022, 05:46:03 PM »
Raja puri is the best banana in terms of fruit taste and healthy, tough plant in my opinion. In Florida they bear fruit regularly. 
Raja puri is also about 6 to 8 feet. Not to tall which is a good size. But fat plant. Pretty cold hardy too.

In his book, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BANANAS, William Lessard calls RajaPuri 'bulletproof' due to both its cold- and wind-tolerance.

I like Raja Puri because it doesn't try to overshadow the Empire State Building!

Cheers!

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 06:16:21 PM by Epicatt2 »

Taylorhill

• SouthEast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 02:17:40 PM »
Raja puri is a great banana. It does have a similar taste to Brazilian and is closely related to it. I find the raja puri has more of a “tropical” taste to it. Both taste amazing.

Musa manzano and musa Pisang raja are totally different varieties. And have very different tastes.

Manzano is an AAB genome silk subgroup banana. Very popular in south and Central America. Also known as “apple banana”. Not to be confused with the true HI apple banana Brazilian. It is quite astringent and very tart until it is totally ripe where it is very sweet.

Pisang raja also an AAB genome but from Asia. Mostly Indonesia and the Philippines. It is harder to grow for me here in TX. I have fruited them a couple times and they make a similar looking fruit to manzano but the fruit itself is dark yellowish orange almost like an iholena. Very sweet even under-ripe! The true Pisang raja is quite rare. I’ve seen a lot of plants sold as Pisang Raja that were actually mysore, manzano, and others.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 02:28:13 PM »
I grew Raja Puri and Mysore.
In general, I can't pick out many flavor differences in bananas in general. I just know sweet, vs subacid vs cooking.
I'm a fan of the sub acid types that these three have.
I liked mysore the best but the tree is not sturdy.
To me, raja puri was a little closer to a standard cavendish than the rest but has a nice subacid component at the not full ripe stage.
I'd go with Raja Puri mostly because the tree is sturdy.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 09:20:06 PM »
I'm growing all of them now so I can report back in 12-18 months :)

Thank you very much everyone!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2022, 11:22:54 PM »
I'm growing all of them now so I can report back in 12-18 months :)

Thank you very much everyone!
Sounds good.
John

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2022, 11:30:46 PM »
Raja puri is a great banana. It does have a similar taste to Brazilian and is closely related to it. I find the raja puri has more of a “tropical” taste to it. Both taste amazing.

Musa manzano and musa Pisang raja are totally different varieties. And have very different tastes.

Manzano is an AAB genome silk subgroup banana. Very popular in south and Central America. Also known as “apple banana”. Not to be confused with the true HI apple banana Brazilian. It is quite astringent and very tart until it is totally ripe where it is very sweet.

Pisang raja also an AAB genome but from Asia. Mostly Indonesia and the Philippines. It is harder to grow for me here in TX. I have fruited them a couple times and they make a similar looking fruit to manzano but the fruit itself is dark yellowish orange almost like an iholena. Very sweet even under-ripe! The true Pisang raja is quite rare. I’ve seen a lot of plants sold as Pisang Raja that were actually mysore, manzano, and others.

I apologize for hijacking the thread.
Where did you buy the genuine pisang raja?
I have been looking for it.
We use pisang raja for cooking in Asia.
The texture that won't get mushy and the non acidity taste  make pisang raja a dessert banana in Asian cuisine.