Author Topic: Which vigorous mango tree to choose?  (Read 911 times)

alnpat

• USA, FL/Central, Kissimmee, 9b
    • View Profile
Which vigorous mango tree to choose?
« on: June 22, 2022, 10:57:57 PM »
I only have one more spot open in my backyard for a vigorous tree and I have eliminated it down to Phoenix and Sunrise. Both are delicious mangoes, so which one would you choose?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Which vigorous mango tree to choose?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 01:04:30 PM »
That sounds like a toss-up.  I'd love to hear what Alex (or Chris or Har or Rob/bsbullie or Gary Z) has to say.  Too bad you can't taste a few samples of each, or maybe you have?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 01:08:11 PM by johnb51 »
John

alnpat

• USA, FL/Central, Kissimmee, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 03:19:59 PM »
That sounds like a toss-up.  I'd love to hear what Alex (or Chris or Har or Rob/bsbullie or Gary Z) has to say.  Too bad you can't taste a few samples of each, or maybe you have?
They are both fairly similar in terms of taste and vigor, so like you say, it's pretty much a 50/50 call unless I can get some additional information. I've tried both but they were kinda washed out, but I was still able to detect a rich flavor profile that I really enjoy. Thank you for the reply

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 04:17:43 PM »
Alex's descriptions on his website make them sound similar, and they are both Jakarta seedlings.  "The flavor of Phoenix has been difficult for us to classify but falls somewhere between classic and Indian flavor, with a strong subacid component to balance out its rich sweetness and having some resin present."  I haven't tasted either one so far, but I'd choose Phoenix if I based my choice solely on his descriptions.
John

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 05:00:53 PM »
Are either or both trees available? If I was looking for either tree and could only locate, say, a Phoenix tree, I'd choose Phoenix. You can always graft Sunrise onto it.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 05:15:32 PM »
Are either or both trees available? If I was looking for either tree and could only locate, say, a Phoenix tree, I'd choose Phoenix. You can always graft Sunrise onto it.
Brilliant!  That's the best option.  Or graft Phoenix onto Sunrise. ;D
John

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 07:12:20 PM »
It is hard to find Sunrise trees. Sunrise is a fairly small fruit but very good.  Hard to find Phoenix too. I was searching for an Orange Sherbert about 2 weeks ago and there was a a fairly large Phoenix at Fruitscapes on Pine Island.
I think it was a 15 or 25 gal size.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 08:47:02 PM »
FYI: Tropical Acres Farms in WPB will make either one for you, or almost any other variety.  You can order through their website.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 12:39:56 PM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 11:47:20 AM »
I think Phoenix is the safe bet. Over the last three seasons I have found it to be from very good to excellent and unique. Several folks in the know have given it kudos. I had it a excellent Phoenix this season I can say definitely at Peak flavor. I cannot give a opinion on Sunrise for it was H2O diluted.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry