Author Topic: WTB Grafted mango tree. Los Angeles.  (Read 915 times)

12Zodiac

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
WTB Grafted mango tree. Los Angeles.
« on: June 26, 2022, 11:12:10 AM »
I am looking to buy a grafted mango tree. PM me if you have one available in the Los Angeles area.

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: WTB Grafted mango tree. Los Angeles.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 02:03:50 PM »
Check out mimosa nursery

LuvFig

• USA, CA/SoCal, Los Angeles, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 04:08:12 PM »
I am looking to buy a grafted mango tree. PM me if you have one available in the Los Angeles area.

You may want to contact Laguna Hills Nursery in Santa Ana, and ask for Kevin who may have some grafted mango tree on Manila rootstock for sale toward end of July.  They also take custom order on request rootstock and graft varieties.  Mimosa Nursery is also a good choice but theirs are from Florida and most likely on Turpentine rootstock.

12Zodiac

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 05:00:47 PM »
I’m embarrassed to admit I have killed 5 mango trees either bought from known online nurseries or local nursery like Champa. As luvfig said most of these are likely from Florida which will thrive for 2 to 3 years then die. I did everything according to the growing mangos in ca thread, not letting it fruit, afternoon shade, winter protect, etc. Mine property has sandy soil. I have avacado, citrus, anonna trees fruiting and growing well. I just purchased 5 turpentine seeds and buried them in the ground 18 inches. I’m impatient and wants some home grown mangos while i still have teeth.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 05:17:27 PM »
I’m embarrassed to admit I have killed 5 mango trees either bought from known online nurseries or local nursery like Champa. As luvfig said most of these are likely from Florida which will thrive for 2 to 3 years then die. I did everything according to the growing mangos in ca thread, not letting it fruit, afternoon shade, winter protect, etc. Mine property has sandy soil. I have avacado, citrus, anonna trees fruiting and growing well. I just purchased 5 turpentine seeds and buried them in the ground 18 inches. I’m impatient and wants some home grown mangos while i still have teeth.
18 inches seems a bit deep to plant the seeds. They will die.
I have a m-4 on Kent rootstock I can send you
I wish you the best in growing mangoes!

12Zodiac

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 05:35:40 PM »
18 inches seems a bit deep to plant the seeds. They will die.
I have a m-4 on Kent rootstock I can send you
I wish you the best in growing mangoes!

In that case I’ll dig them up and burry the 4 to 6 inches. Jaboticaba45 PMed.

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 08:22:51 PM »
In nature, the fruits fall and rot or get eaten which leaves the seed sitting flat on top of the ground. You  can cover it with a little soil to minimize seed-stealing pressure from squirrels  but 4-6” is way too deep.

12Zodiac

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 08:41:38 PM »
I’m must have misread or misunderstood. Accord to Simon Grow in this thread https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23124.0. I guess Simon meant to to say loosen the dirt up to 18 inch and probably not burry that deep.

With Manilla or random seedlings as rootstock, plant the seed or seedlings in its permanent location in the warmest area of your yard. It is a good idea to plant in native soil that is loosened to a depth of at least 12-18 inches if possible. Deeper is better to some extent but in many yards across California, you will hit an extremely hard layer of rocks and clay just several inches below the topsoil.

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 09:21:10 PM »
My seeds germinate best when they are barley covered. A lot of the seeds themselves turn a bright green when healthy and pushing new growth. I don’t know for sure but I assume they are actively photosynthesizing to push the growth.