Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

My citrus collection [EU - Antwerp]

<< < (7/20) > >>

poncirsguy:
Can you post a picture of your trees on the roof top.  I grow my trees on my roof top

SeeSchloss:

--- Quote from: Peep on September 05, 2022, 08:39:34 AM ---Interesting that your hystrix and other non cold resitant varieties have no problem, have you had cold winters since you moved here? For the past winter it's not so surprising, but eventually there will be a winter with some colder temperatures, even if it's just for a few days.

--- End quote ---

My balcony faces north-west actually, but there is probably some warmth coming from the windows that brings the temperature up a few more degrees.

I've been here since 2018 and there have definitely been subzero temperatures more than a few times, including a few days at -5°C last year around January but I don't have anything less on record at my place. In the first years, I used to bring my plants inside and keep just one specimen of each (among those that I thought might be at least somewhat cold hardy) outside to test it. I did lose a C. australasica and a C. glauca like this. It's no citrus but I also have a Passiflora tripartita (also rated to around -5°C, but likely more fragile than the citruses) growing on my house, and I tend to think of it as an indicator that would die sooner than them.

The estimations on the cold hardiness of C. hystrix on the Internet are all over the place, from -8°C to +2°C, while C. limon and C. bergamia are supposed to be able to withstand -5°C or so. In any case I now consider these plants to be mostly fine down to -5°C. If it was any colder I would take some measures for protecting them.

And thanks for the offer but my wife wouldn't be pleased if I asked for yet more space for plants ;) I'm going to wait for the bigger house first!

Peep:
Little update.

Repotted and changed the soil of my plants, some of them had some issues with root rot.
Now I used a mix with lava stone and also some pine bark:

9 cups lava (5 cups fine lava 4-8mm and 4 cups coarse 5-15mm)
7 cups potting soil
6 cups pine bark mulch (10 - 25mm)
1 cup sand

Not sure yet if I like using the pine bark, but we'll see how this mix does for now.
Most of the citrus are sitting outside on the roof. After we have finished soms work on a wall that is to the right, I can put them against it. This will help a bit with the wind up there.

I also have a few plants indoors. Two new grafts, a "Smooth Skin Hanayuzu" (from Lenzi) which started growing quickly, and also a US119:

And also a plant (right) where I have made a second graft. First one was Satsuma Maxima, and second (with the plastic bag) is the Smooth Skin Hanayuzu. The Kerji (left) had a new shoot in a spot that would give a nice shape for the plant, but due to the temperatures it hasn't been growing, so I took it inside:

I also made and order from Adavo, which has shipped out today.
I'm still a bit scared of plants from Adavo being infected. I might keep them separate, not really sure how to handle it. Any advice?

I should be receiving these plants:

- Hanayu (Hana Yuzu)
- Hana Yuzu (The "Sudachi" version which isn't Sudachi)
- Trifeola
- Kabosu
- Kishu-mikan            
- Hashimoto Satsuma
- Taiwanica / Nansho Daidai   
- Poncirus x C. unshiu
- C. unshiu x C. junos   
- YUZU N°1
- YUZU N°4
- Citrangeremo
- Glauca x Shekwasha    
- Ichang Papeda IVIA
- Citrus sinensis "GLORY MIČURINA"
- Triploïde Reale (bought for someone else)

Best regards,

Florian:
Your potting mix sounds very well-draining. That could be a bit too much during hot weather. I once used a similar mix and had to water constantly and the citrus had red spider mites all the time.

I also have a Hana Yuzu "buccia liscia" from Lenzi. It came with a few fruits that really had smooth skin. Oddly enough, later fruits have had a much more bumpy rind. It is not really smooth anymore. I don't have a normal Hana Yuzu anymore for comparison, though.

Ilya11:
If you mean a pumice for lava, it could be OK, but at least  in France lava is something else- red colored stuff obtained by grinding of volcanic rock.
It is considered unsuitable for citrus cultivation because of high abrasive action on the roots.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version