Author Topic: FL Trip Fundraiser for Jaboticaba45 (rare tree sale) price reduction!  (Read 2226 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Ok so I’m going to FL
I’m going next week or so so I need to earn this fast…the only way? Sell rare plants!
If you purchase from me, think of it as you getting a rare plant and giving me double the money you spent even though you didn’t! I try to give back to the forum and was able to put a nice large group seed order last year. I hope some of you are willing to help me out! If you want to donate, also that’s cool!
Here’s what’s for sale

Double grafted coronata Jaboticaba unkown parent tree but looks like restinga. Asking $75.

4 Eugenia sulcata asking $75

Eugenia pyriformis var.gigante asking $80for both seeds were from Brazil last year

Grafted scarlet…scion came from fruiting tree $50

An hai Yangmei $300 treated for RKN

Double grafted coronata also restinga I think $75

Prices don’t include shipping. Some plants may need to grow more before shipping. I’ll ship out when I get back if so. Keep in mind that mail can get lost or confiscated. If you live in CA or AZ or HI there are risk of confiscation although quite small.

Also have more scarlet and coronata grafted plants. Just ask about pricing etc…
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 01:12:30 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Bump! I just need a few more $$$ then we getting a good deal!

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
I'll buy a shippable grafted scarlet, I'll send you a pm tomorrow when I get paid.

*edit I think my current scarlet grafts are going to take so I will have to pass unfortunately
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 11:00:52 AM by hammer524 »

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Why do you have to go all the way to Florida to get a tree? If you are poor I recommend staying out of Florida unless you are in the far northern part next to the border, like panhandle. The cost of living here has become unbearable. During winter the cheapest dingiest motel wanted $200 a night. And what you get for your money- there is nothing special here other than beaches- hot weather, high humidity, and mosiquito bites.

It is getting more tropical, mostly due to the urban heating effect, maybe slightly due to global warming. They keep clearing the forests and building parking lots and houses which heats up the place. Twenty years ago where I'm at we usually got a good frost during winter which would kill back tropical plants like Bananas. Now days most winters there is no freeze at all. Which this place was already too hot to begin with.

The best tropical plant for up north is a dwarf meyer lemon. I had lemons in Ohio and it was healthy. The smell of citrus blooms is amazing. I just had it near a window under a grow light when temps were below freezing and outside in spring, summer, fall whenever it was above freezing. Its size pretty much matches the pot you put it in, but when I put it in a huge pot, the full size is only like six feet (you have to get the dwarf). I tried other "dwarf" citrus but they were too large for containers or to fit indoors.

In Florida we don't have any more citrus. They are wiped out by a virus that has no cure.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Why do you have to go all the way to Florida to get a tree? If you are poor I recommend staying out of Florida unless you are in the far northern part next to the border, like panhandle. The cost of living here has become unbearable. During winter the cheapest dingiest motel wanted $200 a night. And what you get for your money- there is nothing special here other than beaches- hot weather, high humidity, and mosiquito bites.

It is getting more tropical, mostly due to the urban heating effect, maybe slightly due to global warming. They keep clearing the forests and building parking lots and houses which heats up the place. Twenty years ago where I'm at we usually got a good frost during winter which would kill back tropical plants like Bananas. Now days most winters there is no freeze at all. Which this place was already too hot to begin with.

The best tropical plant for up north is a dwarf meyer lemon. I had lemons in Ohio and it was healthy. The smell of citrus blooms is amazing. I just had it near a window under a grow light when temps were below freezing and outside in spring, summer, fall whenever it was above freezing. Its size pretty much matches the pot you put it in, but when I put it in a huge pot, the full size is only like six feet (you have to get the dwarf). I tried other "dwarf" citrus but they were too large for containers or to fit indoors.

In Florida we don't have any more citrus. They are wiped out by a virus that has no cure.
I don’t think you know what I do so here is what I do…I’m in high school and have a passion for growing rare fruits….
I grow rare tropical fruit trees up here. Yes they all live in my greenhouse. I probably have one of the largest collections in Tn. I lost interest in citrus a loooong time ago due to the fact they are common and easy to grow…FL is special due to the fact you can grow tropical fruits there.
I go down to get more trees and fruits.
I’m not trying to live there…I can’t even if I wanted to for now…I’m just growing trees. Mangoes lychee garcinia pouteria plinia etc. yep ya can’t get those anywhere else! Not available at you local nursery unlike citrus! I don’t abide by my zone, I push it! Anything is possible!

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Mango is more common than citrus down here. You can't get good citrus anymore. Florida has the best tasting citrus in the world and it has all been wiped out by disease. The remaining trees that are diseased the fruit isn't as good. What you buy in the store is from California or South America now- lower quality citrus.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Mango is more common than citrus down here. You can't get good citrus anymore. Florida has the best tasting citrus in the world and it has all been wiped out by disease. The remaining trees that are diseased the fruit isn't as good. What you buy in the store is from California or South America now- lower quality citrus.
Yes when driving through the state all I see are dying groves.
But California citrus is so good! I had a hypothesis that the heat and drought make super sweet fruits.
Someone sent us a box of fl navels, but even ones from the store are better.
Mangoes are better than citrus anyway lol!

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
California oranges are prettier on the outside. Bite into them and they are rather dry and tasteless. California is probably the worst tasting citrus though its ok to eat. The florida ones look ugly on the outside from high humidity and rain, but they are bursting with juice and taste super good because it rains every day in the summer and high humidity. Though maybe sun and soil and other factors are at play too. Brazil oranges are decent, better than California, almost as good as Florida but not quite.

The citrus virus is all around the world but hit Florida the hardest. Growing citrus in a greenhouse further north is actually a good idea. I like citrus a lot better than mangos.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
California oranges are prettier on the outside. Bite into them and they are rather dry and tasteless. California is probably the worst tasting citrus though its ok to eat. The florida ones look ugly on the outside from high humidity and rain, but they are bursting with juice and taste super good because it rains every day in the summer and high humidity. Though maybe sun and soil and other factors are at play too. Brazil oranges are decent, better than California, almost as good as Florida but not quite.

The citrus virus is all around the world but hit Florida the hardest. Growing citrus in a greenhouse further north is actually a good idea. I like citrus a lot better than mangos.
I can argue against that…cali oranges are the best. Very juicy and good. Well at least the ones I tried. Navels and oro blancos and mandarins. The ones from FL were green, but towards one end they were dry. But yes, citrus greening sucks. If I lived in FL, And was a commercial grower, I’d pass on avocados, citrus, and lychees due to the diseases there.

Tropical Sunshine

• Coastal TX, USA zone 9B (down to zone 8A during a freak freeze!)
    • View Profile
I'm one of the many regular followers of Pete Kanaris Greendreamsfl youtube channel; In several of his videos, he did mention that Florida citrus trees grown under the canopy of oak trees seem to be less affected by citrus greening than citrus trees grown under full sun, out in the open fields. Just thought I'd put it out there...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 12:17:54 AM by Tropical Sunshine »
Teach a man to fish, and he will be able to catch fish for life.

Teach a man to nurture plants, and he will be able to eat durian, soursop, mangosteen, papaya, rambutan, and guava fruits for life!

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: FL Trip Fundraiser for Jaboticaba45 (rare tree sale) price reduction!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 09:13:01 AM »

The citrus industry in CA an FL is completely different. Florida
grows the juice orange which ripens in the early Spring. The sweetness has to
do with cool temperatures. The groves actually do brix tests before they harvest.
CA produces the sweet tangerines and eating oranges which ripen in the Fall. The
sweetness comes from cool nights which Florida doesn't have in September/October
The greening has had a profound affect and the groves are fertilizing 3-4 times as much
and getting 60% less oranges. But I was talking to a friend who manages several groves
and the orange juice demand is almost gone. If greening would not have effected the
trees there would be a huge over supply of oranges now and the prices would have plummeted

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 11:40:55 AM »
Sorry you don’t know the joy of delicious CA Citrus.
So many high quality juicy fruits.
Supermarket fruit is dogshit compared to homegrown anything.
It’s like me complaining about how horrible Mango’s are, because that’s all we get in the supermarket here, imported stringy crap.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 01:08:34 PM »
Well thanks for the help everyone !
We chilling!
Cali citrus > FL citrus change my mind!
I’ve never had a good citrus from FL!

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2022, 09:13:14 PM »
Because you are young and basically all of them are diseased now. They have a net for smaller trees that keeps out the insect and thus the disease for a couple years. The stuff I grew in Ohio in a pot was better than Cali. One thing is Florida sand is high in calcium which citrus love. But also warm nights and massive rain high temps etc. I didn't even eat them. I just sucked the juice out they were so juicy before the virus. Cali stuff has always been dry you have to eat them.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2022, 09:28:03 PM »
If you got dry CA that sucks, I wouldn’t buy any fruit from the supermarket anyhow,  but the Citrus here is juicy , super flav and amazing.
No reason to further stand up on your own misunderstanding of 1 or a few bad experiences.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2022, 09:30:33 PM »
Ya Cali produces some of the best citrus in the world.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 09:33:42 PM by ben mango »

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2022, 10:06:30 PM »
As someone old enough to remember what home grown Florida citrus tasted like before greening and who is currently on travel in LA (and had an organic Valencia orange from Whole Foods a couple hours ago), I can say that the home grown Florida Valencia was a bit more juicy but I bet an orange picked ripe off the tree in California would be equal. It’s been so long since I’ve had citrus, it brought back some memories.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: FL Trip Fundraiser for Jaboticaba45 (rare tree sale) we chilling
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2022, 04:40:59 PM »
Well I don’t know how this thread derailed into fl be ca citrus, but thanks for the help everyone!

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2022, 06:24:08 PM »
Did you make it to FL?

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile

Taylorhill

• SouthEast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2022, 08:39:29 PM »
I’ll break the tie. Texas has the best citrus!! Lol I’m just kidding. I’ve tasted amazing Valencia oranges years ago in FL as well as amazing navel oranges from CA. I believe that good growing conditions and care can make excellent citrus fruit in most warmer climates. Home grown has always been best for me. I know what goes into it and can pick them ripe not green.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2022, 10:17:55 PM »
From someone who grew up in SoCal when Orange County still had orange groves and Riverside and San Bernardino counties were the epicenter of the citrus industry (remember Sunkist?) and who has lived in SoFlo since 1988 when there was still a huge citrus industry in Florida (and o.j. was part of everyone's breakfast), anyone who knows produce knows that California oranges have always been superior to Florida oranges, that is indisputable--sweeter, more colorful, better textured, and way more flavorful.  Yes, Florida has always had good grapefruit, tangelos, and tangors.  I'm sorry that rainman never had the good fortune of tasting good California citrus but instead had the bad fortune of eating a few lousy pieces of fruit and made up his mind accordingly.

I hope you're enjoying Florida, Jabo!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 11:19:54 AM by johnb51 »
John

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2022, 01:46:01 PM »
From someone who grew up in SoCal when Orange County still had orange groves and Riverside and San Bernardino counties were the epicenter of the citrus industry (remember Sunkist?) and who has lived in SoFlo since 1988 when there was still a huge citrus industry in Florida (and o.j. was part of everyone's breakfast), anyone who knows produce knows that California oranges have always been superior to Florida oranges, that is indisputable--sweeter, more colorful, better textured, and way more flavorful.  Yes, Florida has always had good grapefruit, tangelos, and tangors.  I'm sorry that rainman never had the good fortune of tasting good California citrus but instead had the bad fortune of eating a few lousy pieces of fruit and made up his mind accordingly.

Yes I sure am!
One hiccup though I missed the pickup mangoes from tropical acres farms even though I was stalking their website like a hawk….still got some mangoes from zill and others and hoping to get more also.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2022, 01:28:08 PM »

I eat oranges/citrus almost every day. It could be due to shipping, being on the east coast if you buy a california orange they are ok but not the best. They might be better if you are actually in California. But Cali is not a major citrus grower like Florida. They have some groves. And they are seldom used for juice. They produce pretty looking fruit in California so that constitutes a lot of the oranges in the store but not much of the juice oranges.

Valencia actually doesn't grow well in most of Florida, even though its the main juice orange. It's very cold sensitive. They used to grow it commercially because it ripens in summer (most citrus ripens in winter) and is the number one juice orange. Navels are the main ones that do well in Florida, but they are not a juice orange either. Even though tasting great fresh if you juice them they become acidic. But they are the main backyard tree that used to be here. The tangors like honeybell are the best all around. Then there are more cold hardy juice oranges like hamlin and a bunch of others.

TylerTheTrout

• Bonita Springs, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2022, 03:11:09 PM »
So hows the trip going dude?