Author Topic: Giant Avocado  (Read 615 times)

Wiangelo

• Suriname, District Wanica, Lelydorp, Zone 22
    • View Profile
Giant Avocado
« on: July 24, 2022, 10:20:52 AM »
Hi all,
I bought this avocado here a few years ago at a Chinese supermarket. I was surprised at the size. The pulp was also a lot. I've searched everywhere to find the real name, to no result. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the inside. However, I planted the seed and the tree grows more robustly and faster than the common species in Suriname. Does anyone recognize this species? :)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Avocado
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 10:29:22 AM »
Probably a seedling so you can name it what you like. The closest named variety like that grafted here in Florida would be "Marcus Pumpkin". Here are common sizes for mine:

Maybe call it Pompoen?

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 01:17:16 PM »
Probably a big fusia. World record 9 1/4 pounds

Wiangelo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 08:06:17 PM »
Probably a seedling so you can name it what you like. The closest named variety like that grafted here in Florida would be "Marcus Pumpkin". Here are common sizes for mine:

Maybe call it Pompoen?

Thanks for your reaction. Your avocados do look a lot like mine. I think you are right. We'll stick to the Marcus Pumpkin seedling. When the first fruits arrive, we will look further.

Wiangelo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 08:08:44 PM »
Probably a big fusia. World record 9 1/4 pounds

That would be a dream, so heavy! We will wait for the first fruits. Maybe then we'll get a clear picture of what it is. The Marcus Pumpkin is the most similar. Thank you for thinking along.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 07:19:31 AM »
Marcus Pumpkin has fairly pronounced ridging that isn't evident in your fruit. If yours isn't grafted it is just a seedling so not Marcus Pumpkin. I would choose a name and graft it to see how it performs that way. I was surprised that avocado was fairly easy to graft they were my first successful grafts as a rank beginner. The secret is collecting the scions just before flowering as the new growth pushes.