Author Topic: Sweet Almond bush  (Read 613 times)

GFC

• High Springs Florida Zone 8b
    • View Profile
Sweet Almond bush
« on: July 31, 2022, 04:12:03 PM »
Is anyone growing this in your landscape. I just found out about it today. Where is the best places to buy it. I looked on Etsy but shipping was too expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0_zr6se2fI

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Almond bush
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 04:45:09 PM »
Yes, I have one. I’ve never seen so many bugs on a single plant before. There are probably 50 species of bees and wasps on mine in the morning when the blooms are going. I can find them at my local nursery but they propagate easily from cuttings so they should be readily available from someone here or on Etsy. They are easy to take care of and can handle a drought. I rooted a cutting last year and gave it to my parents in Jacksonville where it survived the winter and is thriving.

GFC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 04:56:23 PM »
Maybe I check the Nurseries in Gainesville. Maybe even Home Depot. If none i'll see if anyone here has cuttings. Thanks

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 08:45:51 PM »
It seams this post would be better suited for a subtropical folder:

"Aloysia virgata, known as sweet almond verbena and sweet almond bush, is a perennial plant in the family Verbenaceae native to Argentina"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropics#/media/File:World_map_indicating_tropics_and_subtropics.png

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 08:53:28 PM by cassowary »
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

GFC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 08:54:23 PM »
Ended up buying 3 plants in 3 gallon pots for 15 each at a local nursery. My wife loves the smell and wants to go back and buy more.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 08:26:18 AM »
I have 3 spread around the yard to attract pollinators. The cold doesnt seem to bother them much and when the air is still in the morning, the smell of them is very widespread and pleasant. My oldest one is about three years old, hoping it will bush out a bit in a more pleasant tree shape.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk