Author Topic: Starting from Scratch - Thailand - Big Fruit Garden.  (Read 779 times)

agreendream

• Koh Phangan, Thailand.
    • View Profile
Starting from Scratch - Thailand - Big Fruit Garden.
« on: August 10, 2022, 01:46:16 AM »
Dear Growers,
I am starting a new food garden in Thailand.
It would be absolutely wonderful to have your collective guidance and wisdom in developing the garden. I, like so many of you would love an abundance of fruits, vegetables and herbs available to me around my home.
It has been a surprise to me how much information and resources there are in the USA and yet its been more difficult here in Thailand.
Firstly, any growers in this part of the world, please say hello 😊

Personally, having lived many years in the Amazon region, I am very excited to grow fruits from there. I see many are becoming popular in the US, are there also growers here in Thailand?

I would love to record and document the process so that others starting food projects here can access and draw on my experience, but for this to be valuable, I really will need your shared help.

Many thanks!
Please let me know your initial thoughts/ideas and questions!

Christopher Taylor
Koh Phangan, Thailand.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Starting from Scratch - Thailand - Big Fruit Garden.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 09:26:36 AM »
Congratulations on setting forth on your fantastic food endeavor! Beautiful land, you certainly can have a lot of fun and feed many.

I would recommend mixing plants around, and blending in native plants. Wildflowers to bring in pollinators. Herbs under fruit trees. Gingers and turmerics and pineapples. All kinds of peppers. Larger trees to protect trees that like some shade. Moringa for food and chop n drop.

I would grow a few of every type of garcinia there is.

FL mango cultivars.

FloridaAnnona

• Bradenton FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 09:58:17 AM »
In Thailand, all you need is Durian, Mangosteen, and Lagsat trees! Oh can't forget the Phet Pak Chong atemoya or Noi Naa Pak Chong. Oh now that I am thinking of it cant forget the Ma muang Mango Maha Chanok Kiew yai Keo savoy. Cempedak is great to add as well as Salak. Lychees and Longan!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 10:13:05 AM »
How big is your property in acres or hectares?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 02:53:08 PM by johnb51 »
John

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 10:21:54 AM »
Pete Kanaris youtube has several videos featuring permaculture projects in Costa Rica.  Here are a couple of my favorites at Paul Zinc's property to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0m3OBp1MMg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w-ydI89rVg&list=PLgXPC4KibNdpPOs-ZakDSoKx_QJtu7dud&index=2

My family and I have been working on two farm projects in Fallbrook, California.  Our climate and ecology are completely different, but one of the most important things we did was just observe the land for the first year.  Especially paying attention to how the water flows on the property during rains.  Learning about the different microclimates on your property, how the sun moves and wind blows during the different seasons, cold and warm pockets, etc.  We also laid out the contours of the property before planting and laying out planting areas to direct and capture water.

John Kohler, Growing your greens youtube, also has videos featuring farms and properties in Costa Rica.

Congratulations on your project, your property looks amazing! 

Janet

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 10:48:00 AM »

John Kohler, Growing your greens youtube, also has videos featuring farms and properties in Costa Rica.

Love John! That Costa Rica video where he cries on camera talking about the beauty of the land - priceless! I wish I meet him one day.
Great advice on observing the land. We would have avoided so many mistakes and expenses if we just had patience to watch  ;D
And, of course, learning from the mistakes and successes of others, visiting local growers, observing their cultural practices etc. before planting your own. Good luck with the new baby!

agreendream

• Koh Phangan, Thailand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 03:52:57 AM »
Roblack

Thank you so much!! Honestly, my heart was on a string, hoping that people would connect and help guide me! It was so nice to find your message and information!

My background is in land restoration so its a principal for me to weave the native flora in with these production plants. Also, the goal is that this be a resource for the surrounding people, by the time its all established it will vastly over produce what I need :)

Thank you and I am taking notes from your message.
Christopher

agreendream

• Koh Phangan, Thailand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 03:55:41 AM »
In Thailand, all you need is Durian, Mangosteen, and Lagsat trees! Oh can't forget the Phet Pak Chong atemoya or Noi Naa Pak Chong. Oh now that I am thinking of it cant forget the Ma muang Mango Maha Chanok Kiew yai Keo savoy. Cempedak is great to add as well as Salak. Lychees and Longan!

Thank you! FloridaAnnona :)
This is a great list and I am very excited for them all to be found here soon! :)
Please, let me know if you have more ideas!?

agreendream

• Koh Phangan, Thailand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 03:57:20 AM »
How big is your property in acres or hectares?

Hello Johnb51,
It is around 10 acres :)
A West-facing slope.

agreendream

• Koh Phangan, Thailand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 04:00:05 AM »
Pete Kanaris youtube has several videos featuring permaculture projects in Costa Rica.  Here are a couple of my favorites at Paul Zinc's property to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0m3OBp1MMg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w-ydI89rVg&list=PLgXPC4KibNdpPOs-ZakDSoKx_QJtu7dud&index=2

My family and I have been working on two farm projects in Fallbrook, California.  Our climate and ecology are completely different, but one of the most important things we did was just observe the land for the first year.  Especially paying attention to how the water flows on the property during rains.  Learning about the different microclimates on your property, how the sun moves and wind blows during the different seasons, cold and warm pockets, etc.  We also laid out the contours of the property before planting and laying out planting areas to direct and capture water.

Congratulations on your project, your property looks amazing! 

Janet

Dear Janet! What a positive encouragement and fantastic advice!
Yes, my desire is the first year to try to appreciate the site so when I think of planting it is with a sense of how the space will be for each plant.
I will dig into the videos you have shared, thank you!

agreendream

• Koh Phangan, Thailand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 04:03:30 AM »

Love John! That Costa Rica video where he cries on camera talking about the beauty of the land - priceless! I wish I meet him one day.
Great advice on observing the land. We would have avoided so many mistakes and expenses if we just had patience to watch  ;D
And, of course, learning from the mistakes and successes of others, visiting local growers, observing their cultural practices etc. before planting your own. Good luck with the new baby!

This is great wisdom! I cant wait to get to know this place, appreciate the details as have been suggested above and by other great growers.
I will be growing a great deal in pots at the rental house we have, which allows me mental space to NOT rush in :)
"Patience" I hear you :)