Author Topic: Comparison of Red Jackfruits  (Read 32385 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Comparison of Red Jackfruits
« on: March 25, 2013, 04:16:30 AM »
Which do you think better, Borneo Red or Excalibur Red? What are the differences between them? What is the difference in source of the two? Thanks,
Oscar

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison of Red Jackfruits
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 07:01:37 AM »
Which do you think better, Borneo Red or Excalibur Red? What are the differences between them? What is the difference in source of the two? Thanks,
What they sell in Thailand is it one of the two varieties you mentioned Oscar or a different one?
Mike

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:51:39 AM »

I don't think there is anyone who has tried both fruit besides the owner of Excalibur, Richard Wilson. Well, maybe some people have tried both before he named the Excalibur Red. He only named it and started propagating it last year. He was selling fruit from many of his seedling selections for years but just as 'Dang Suria' seedling and then after he really liked this one he named it. For that reason, I doubt anyone will be able to give you a proper comparison because no one would know if the fruit they ate was the Excalibur Red.

The Excalibur Red origin is as a seedling of the Dang Suria from Thailand I think. I have a history of most of the Excalibur fruit written down somewhere. I'll try and find it later.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
Are these RED really RED or just a darker orange ?

I am getting some red and latexless ones from India ....Oscar did you see / taste any of these when you were there ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 11:53:38 AM »
Hmmmm.......now let's see......I am trying to predict which one of the Red Jacks Richard Wilson will say is better.  In the running are the Borneo Red, introduced by Chris Rollins.  Chris says its the best Jak he's ever had.  That would be up against the Dang Suria group that Richard introduced from Thailand and made a seedling selection for propagation because he thought it was the best of the Dang Suria progeny. I know where I am putting my money. I haven't had either to give any personal opinion.  My Borneo Red is blooming for the first time....but so far only male blooms.  I do have one of Richard's Dang Suria seedlings.  It has not grown very much for me in the years that it has been in the ground.  In fairness, it is planted in an area of my yard that is renowned as a killing field for past jakfruit introductions (Ziman Pink, Bali Beauty, and Cochin).  The area doesn't do much for mangoes either as I have a Langra Benarsi mango that seems to be in suspended animation also.  Not sure what is going on.  In any case, would love to try some of these Reds.  Rob, BSBUllie, has threatened to bring some down later in the season.  I know there are supposedly production issue with Borneo Red.  Noel's friend George (in Coral Springs, FL)  apparently has a productive (in some years at least ) tree.  Let's see what this spring brings........maybe a loss of my Red Jakfruit tasting virginity?  One can only hope.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:01:24 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 12:16:52 PM »
HAHAHAHAH

Hmmmm.......now let's see......I am trying to predict which one of the Red Jacks Richard Wilson will say is better.  In the running are the Borneo Red, introduced by Chris Rollins.  Chris says its the best Jak he's ever had.  That would be up against the Dang Suria group that Richard introduced from Thailand and made a seedling selection for propagation because he thought it was the best of the Dang Suria progeny. I know where I am putting my money. I haven't had either to give any personal opinion.  My Borneo Red is blooming for the first time....but so far only male blooms.  I do have one of Richard's Dang Suria seedlings.  It has not grown very much cor me in the years that it has been in the ground.  In fairness, it is planted in an area of my yard that is renowned as a killing field for past jakfruit introductions (Ziman Pink, Bali Beauty, and Cochin).  The area doesn't do much for mangoes either as I have a Langra Benarsi mango that seems to be in suspended animation also.  Not sure what is going on.  In any case, would love to try some of these Reds.  Rob, BSBUllie, has threatened to bring some down later in the season.  I know there are supposedly production issue with Borneo Red.  Noel's friend George (in Coral Springs, FL)  apparently has a productive (in some years at least ) tree.  Let's see what this spring brings........maybe a loss of my Red Jakfruit tasting virginity?  One can only hope.
Jeff  :-)

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:25:12 PM »
X
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:31:21 AM by DurianLover »

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 08:31:01 PM »
Hmmmm.......now let's see......I am trying to predict which one of the Red Jacks Richard Wilson will say is better.  In the running are the Borneo Red, introduced by Chris Rollins.  Chris says its the best Jak he's ever had.  That would be up against the Dang Suria group that Richard introduced from Thailand and made a seedling selection for propagation because he thought it was the best of the Dang Suria progeny. I know where I am putting my money. I haven't had either to give any personal opinion.  My Borneo Red is blooming for the first time....but so far only male blooms.  I do have one of Richard's Dang Suria seedlings.  It has not grown very much for me in the years that it has been in the ground.  In fairness, it is planted in an area of my yard that is renowned as a killing field for past jakfruit introductions (Ziman Pink, Bali Beauty, and Cochin).  The area doesn't do much for mangoes either as I have a Langra Benarsi mango that seems to be in suspended animation also.  Not sure what is going on.  In any case, would love to try some of these Reds.  Rob, BSBUllie, has threatened to bring some down later in the season.  I know there are supposedly production issue with Borneo Red.  Noel's friend George (in Coral Springs, FL)  apparently has a productive (in some years at least ) tree.  Let's see what this spring brings........maybe a loss of my Red Jakfruit tasting virginity?  One can only hope.

Harry
The Borneo Red at George's place has produced large crops for the last 3 years. They are superb fruit. Let's see if I can get one for a tasting sometime soon. The only knock on BR is that the edible pulp ratio is low compared to other Jaks and they seem to be more cold senstive than other Jaks
FloridaGreenMan

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »
I had a conversation with Richard Wilson last May about Jak fruit and he said that anyone looking for quality jakfruit in India was wasting their time.  Vietnam was the place for jak.  Could the Excalibur red be from there?
Peter

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:53:28 PM »
I have tasted Dang Suria/Red Morning, Excalibur Red and Borneo Red.  Whole tastes are very subjective, I am sure those have have tasted all three or any combination thereof, will give differing results.  As for me, I prefer Excalibur Red and Dang Suria over Borneo Red.  Now to be fair, I have only tasted one Borneo Red but the one I did taste lacked the depth of flavor.  I have had a number of Excalibur Reds and Dang Suria and in my opinion, the taste/quality of the fruit can vary from fruit to fruit and year to year.  Both the Ex Red and Dang Suria have a consistent juiciness (whereas I have had a number of jacks that have had decent flavor but a very dry texture).  They both had a complex fruit quality to them, much different than the juicyfruit or tooti fruiti/banana flavor profile.  Again, the Borneo Red lacked the depth to honestly give a good description.  It had a very mild, "red jackfruit" flavor but very one tracked and the flavor dies off very fast.  I will repeast myself, it was only one and just could have been a bad/off fruit.

Noel - If you can get me some "good" Borneo red to try, I will gladly reciprocate.

Oh, and to those who wonder, yes, the fruit IS Red.

Harry - barring a horrible season, I will be bringing you some red jack this season (though you will have to sacrifice a Sunday).
- Rob

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 11:11:50 PM »
Excalibut Red is a relatively new, exciting, jackfruit in the South Florida (U.S.A.) scene.

If someone has one with ripe fruit, how about throwing a daylight party on a Sunday at Miami's Tropical Park.

The exact time of day, when the Excalibur Red Jackfruit will be cut & cleaned, should be announced beforehand.

All interested members of the Tropicl Fruit Forum should be invited for a free look and tasting!

Members should bring their own drinks, chips & snacks though.

I wonder if something like this could actually happen?

Has it happened before?
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 02:31:52 AM »

I am getting some red and latexless ones from India ....Oscar did you see / taste any of these when you were there ?

Hi Luc, the only reds i have seen have been in photos. They are really orangeish-red, not really red in my eyes. I see below Rob says they are really red. So where is the photo? I think some Thai vendors photo shop their photos to make them look red, when in fact they are dark orange. Yes there were some jacks in Goa (South India), but not reds. It wasn't prime season though when i was there.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »
I had a conversation with Richard Wilson last May about Jak fruit and he said that anyone looking for quality jakfruit in India was wasting their time.  Vietnam was the place for jak.  Could the Excalibur red be from there?
Peter

I have a Vietnamese friend here growing and exporting Jacks , will ask if he brought the seeds from Vietnam . On the other hand starting from seeds is no guarantee of quality , I shopped several trees down because they were really bad , 60 to 70 cm fruit but baaad.....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 07:20:58 PM »
Excalibut Red is a relatively new, exciting, jackfruit in the South Florida (U.S.A.) scene.

If someone has one with ripe fruit, how about throwing a daylight party on a Sunday at Miami's Tropical Park.

The exact time of day, when the Excalibur Red Jackfruit will be cut & cleaned, should be announced beforehand.

All interested members of the Tropicl Fruit Forum should be invited for a free look and tasting!

Has it happened before?

Too far south.  Maybe in Central Broward. Who's bringing the goods? 

FloridaGreenMan

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 10:36:17 PM »

Has it happened before?

Too far south.  Maybe in Central Broward. Who's bringing the goods?
Agreed...send me a reminder as we near jak harvest time...
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 05:45:15 PM »
Bought,on Saturday, an entire bag of cleaned Excalibur Red Jackfruit . I must say that its one of the best which I have ever tasted. And what a beautiful fruit!

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 06:09:47 PM »
Wow! Looks like guava shells. Whose got cream cheese?

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 06:13:41 PM »
Wow, very pretty.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »
Over a year ago, I ate pieces of several different red jackfruits at Excalibur, from the Red Morning / Dang Suriya group.   They were all very good.  I believe one is also named 'Cristela", after the long-time crew leader and sales lady there.
Har

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »
I am glad Har mentioned Cristela, because I was going to ask. I bought a small, grafted Cristela that Richard highly recommended to me last summer. Has anyone but Har tasted it? It is supposed to be excellent, but because of the size of mine I don't expect to find out personally for another couple years.

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 09:32:46 PM »
That fruit looks amazing. How much did they charge?
Zach

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 07:29:40 PM »
I'm curious what they sell the fruit for too...

Ya where are the pics?  I've never seen a truly red jackfruit or chempedok. Orange to a more bright or dark orange but not red like a pomegranate ...

Peter

Some good malaysian and thai varieties have been introduced with success in hawaii. Regarding India, this is particularly true for Hawaiian growers from what I understand any cultivars from India don't produce good fruits here, the environment is so different .. Vietnam probably has many crunchy varieties , it seems Vietnamese much prefer crunchy types..yet I've seen they also like chempedok. I wonder if chempedok is at all found in Vietnam..I would think so
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:04:26 PM by ben mango »

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 11:42:03 PM »
Bought,on Saturday, an entire bag of cleaned Excalibur Red Jackfruit . I must say that its one of the best which I have ever tasted. And what a beautiful fruit!

Finally, a picture of the renowned 'Excalibur Red' jackfruit. That's fine looking jackfruit fruit flesh, it's not too soft or hard but just right. Also, very moist/juicy looking flesh with a nice reddish colored flesh, all quality characteristics. It looks like the fruit was expertly picked at the appropriate time; 'thanx' for the nice pic, I hope that more are coming.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:22:19 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 04:48:37 PM »
This is a 24 pound fruit from a red morning seedling.   Cleaned was 8.5 - 9 pounds of edible flesh.  Ta ste was outstanding and reiterates why I say that a good red fleshed jackfruit is better than a yellow fleshed.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:53:28 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 04:59:45 PM »
Great to see a picture of the fruit. The little red morning tree you helped me pick out last weekend sure has a nice structure and sure looks very nice planted in my backyard.
Brad