Author Topic: Homemade fish emulsion recipe and how often do u use it?  (Read 427 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Homemade fish emulsion recipe and how often do u use it?
« on: August 30, 2022, 04:06:01 AM »
I have a 10 liter bottle of watter that is filled with a homemade ,ready to use fish emulsion. The thing has an almost black colour and a putrid smell to it/ normall.......i am using it at a dose of around one watter cup full of emulsion, per 12 liters of water.
In the emulsion apart from the fish, i have also added string algae from my ponds and some dirt. I have set 2 more bottles of fish waste to ferment for next year and i wonder what else can i add inside to make it richer. I red about sugar , stinging nettle and other organic wastes that can be added. 

What is your  recipe for a homemade fish emulsion and how often do u use it on your plants? I guess as an organic fert it cant really burn the plants, although this would probably deppend on the strength each different bach of emulsion has.....

pagnr

• View Profile
Re: Homemade fish emulsion recipe and how often do u use it?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 04:27:16 AM »
The usual rate for fish fertiliser, commercial product, is something like dilution of 10 ml into 1 litre water.
It depends how you made it and how concentrated it is.
Usually the fish fertiliser concentrate is not putrid, but stable due to being concentrated and low water content.
Organic fertilisers certainly can burn, just not as easily as more concentrated fertilisers.
There is no harm in applying at a lower rate more frequently. You are still delivering the same nutrients.
Also you're adding active microbes and sludge which can block the soil pore space.
There was a compost tea thread here earlier.
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=48579.msg469332#msg469332
and here
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1156.msg15376#msg15376
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 06:34:50 AM by pagnr »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 11:40:46 AM »
I added molasses to mine when I was brewing it. also I added oaks leaves,
pine needles, shrimp shells,
Its always good advice to apply sparingly and see the results.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 01:25:45 PM »
Thanks for the insights, i will be carefull with it, ive watered my plants a week or so ago with the above said concentration, as of now no leaf burn or anything that would suggest that i overdid it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk