Author Topic: Can u show me your espaliered fruit trees ?  (Read 1097 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Can u show me your espaliered fruit trees ?
« on: September 12, 2022, 02:51:56 PM »
So i have a place for two trees to grow as espaliers, those would be temperate ones, probably nectarines.
What species of both temperate and tropical fruit plants have done well as espalliers for u, i am both interested in temperate and tropical species, the tropical ones would be guava, carambolla and cherimoya probably, those will be potted ...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 02:56:46 PM by Plantinyum »

echinopora

• View Profile
Re: Can u show me your espaliered fruit trees ?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 03:32:31 PM »
Guava and carambola both espalier well, the carambola will be more sensitive to the changes in soil moisture you tend to get in pots. I’m removing the trees that I’m not fan of from my espalier at the moment. Both guava and carambola fruit on new growth and respond well to pruning so are ideal for espalier, but haven’t really found much use for the fruit as both produce prolifically at times of year when better fruit are available. Nectarine are pretty vigorous and fruit from second year wood, so a large espalier frame would be required unless you use one of the ultra dwarf varieties.

Rob

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 06:23:48 PM »
I planted some weeks ago a pomegranate and a pear.

The pomegranate is doing good, the pear still has to show growth symptoms. However, I know that pears are fine in espalier so I'm not really worried about it.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 12:09:06 AM »
The place i have is like 4 meters by 2.5 m , i am thinking of planting 2 nectarines there ,the setup is basically two pipes ,mortered into the ground with a third one connecting them on top. Between them i have several wires places horizontally. I may need to do some vertically also...
The nectarine i want to be using is a variety i got 2 years ago ,the fruit is the best ever and i have two grafted plants from it so wanted to use them....
Yes i will have to look into the pruning technices for the espaliers, it doesnt look hard thought i probably do need to follow some rules dunno...
My carambolla, i am not really sure how to train it since i had a bigger one which was awlays weeping, but then the branches that weeped seemed to lack vigor and eventually died off. This older plant mentioned above is long dead now, it was in the ground in my greehouse, at the end of the first winter it just freaked out and never recovered. When i pulled it out the roots were all dead, it may have been from too much moisture or too cold of a sail. So thats why i am keeping the next one in a container.
 They also have a sparce growth habit for me. Thats why i am looking into alternative shaping ideas.
Nice to know that both guava and starfruit will work as espaliers, i have to think something about the potted guavas first, those are with dense crowns and will be going inside the house, next to a window. With the espalier i qill rotate them regularly so both sides can have some light.
I am thinking of placing some trelises for some of the plants in the greenhouse also, but that will probably be in spring ...

One thing with the tropicals in particular that worries me is the places that the branches touch the metal. It may get cold at times and knowing metal, it translates cold, right? Will this be a problem with them, the metal parts will be painted with some kind of paint to prevent rust.
I think that with temperate cultures its not a problem, since people are doing it / using metal constructions all the time, bit not sure about tropicals in colder climates like mine....

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 04:47:28 PM »
Stonefruit Australia have a few good videos on the pruning of subtropical stonefruit. I used to have a sunraycer and ufo peach on my Tatura, but we have had a few wet years and they both developed conchs and started to decline so they have been replaced with trees more suited to my climate (ilama). In the subtropics stonefruit require pruning twice a year as something like a sunraycer will send up 2 m watershoots between harvest and dormancy. I had mine on a 7 foot tall trellis, but it would definitely send shoots well above that. Really just depends on your growing season. At our location you would have to use lime Sulfur to knock the leaves off and again a few weeks later for fungal control, otherwise they would carry most of the canopy and associated fungal spores into the next bloom.

But have a search for the pruning videos, it will help with maintaining a good crop (which slows the tree down a bit, makes for easier management of size)

Rob

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 02:41:30 PM »
Stonefruit Australia have a few good videos on the pruning of subtropical stonefruit. I used to have a sunraycer and ufo peach on my Tatura, but we have had a few wet years and they both developed conchs and started to decline so they have been replaced with trees more suited to my climate (ilama). In the subtropics stonefruit require pruning twice a year as something like a sunraycer will send up 2 m watershoots between harvest and dormancy. I had mine on a 7 foot tall trellis, but it would definitely send shoots well above that. Really just depends on your growing season. At our location you would have to use lime Sulfur to knock the leaves off and again a few weeks later for fungal control, otherwise they would carry most of the canopy and associated fungal spores into the next bloom.

But have a search for the pruning videos, it will help with maintaining a good crop (which slows the tree down a bit, makes for easier management of size)

Rob
Thanks, i do have to spray stonefruit and all of my outside fruit trees actually . I spray 2 times in the fall and one or two times in spring before bloom, with copper sulfate. If i dont spray peaches in particular i get leaf curl which sets the plants back alot.....with this spray regimen i did not have any fungal problems for 2 years.
As for pruning i will do my homework sometime till spring, i guess i should let the plants grow more in the first years ...

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 08:41:54 PM »
I espaliered fig and cherimoya

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 12:36:53 AM »
Lovetoplant, nice examples! I especially like the cherimoya!
Is it hard to train the cherimoya like that, my big ones are strongly vigorous, do u keep it a little root bound in that pot to dwarf it ?
They both look very good!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 12:38:43 AM by Plantinyum »

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2022, 06:11:41 PM »
This cherimoya is 13yrs old grew from seed.  It was in a 15gal for 8yrs so it was not grow much.  I had just repotted into a plastic half wine barrel last winter. Before transplant I pruned off lots of its roots. Yes you can say root bound stunts the growth. 

You can plant it in the ground and do the espalier