Author Topic: Hurricane Ian Prep  (Read 4683 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ian Prep
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2022, 09:10:43 PM »
Holy smokes. Think the fruit trees on pine island will survive the salt water? Fruit Scapes is (was?) one of my favorite nurseries.
Jeff  :-)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2022, 10:01:26 PM »

I talked to Berto this morning. They took some damage but him and family are safe!

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2022, 02:47:14 PM »
Anyone here in contact with Dom (TheDom)? He hasn't posted on here for a while. Not sure how to check to make sure if he and his family are okay.

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2022, 02:52:22 PM »
How about Aaron (Nofo Groves)?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2022, 09:38:08 PM »
I hope everyone affected by the hurricane is safe. The pine island area really got hit hard…

Jabba the Hut
Are you ok?

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2022, 10:37:18 PM »
Hoping everyone affected is OK and safe.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2022, 12:07:56 AM »
I don't think Florida has ever seen a hurricane with storm surge and flooding like this one.  Photos and video footage are showing incomprehensible damage and devastation.  Death toll keeps mounting.  Years of recovery for hardest hit areas.  Even though it's not like a third of the state was affected, like a third of Pakistan being underwater from monsoon flooding, still... :( :( :( (Heartbreaking)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 01:30:07 PM by johnb51 »
John

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2022, 10:15:21 AM »
This storm was very slow moving and kept dumping tons of water for hours before it left any area. Ever in Orlando we see streets flooded that never happened before with any other storms.
Ana
Ana

bci801

• Tampa Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2022, 08:49:14 PM »
The Coast Guard and private  boats were taking people off Pine Island today(Sunday).  Look like FEMA trailers may be their new homes.

Ft. Myers TV   https://www.fox4now.com/

Ft Myers Newspaper    https://www.news-press.com/

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2022, 10:04:50 PM »
Here is a link to the NOAA map of the major damage. You can zoom in to the street level.
Pine Island, Matlacha and everything in the area took major damage, and of course fatalities.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html#9/26.4200/-81.9700

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2022, 09:37:49 AM »
All my trees got knocked down pretty hard by 100+ mph winds. My 4 banana trees got completely destroyed.
As much as I hate losing the many of the trees, Iam gave me a chance to redesign my back yard.

Pic shows one of the damages.

Tom

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2022, 10:11:42 AM »
The news says that a temporary bridge to Pine Island will be built right away.
John

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2022, 02:42:39 PM »
The wife and I are okay. Ive road out several hurricanes but that one was by far the worst. Ive talked to Mike he is okay and have heard Jay Reynolds and the guys from fruitscapes are okay. Ive had some people calling and asking if the damage they are showing on the news is blown out of proportion and the answer is no.  The damage to the island is catastrophic people are unable to get on and off except by boat or helicopter we have a friend staying with us now who was on Sanibel Island the water came up to the second story of their house.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2022, 05:11:15 PM »
The wife and I are okay. Ive road out several hurricanes but that one was by far the worst. Ive talked to Mike he is okay and have heard Jay Reynolds and the guys from fruitscapes are okay. Ive had some people calling and asking if the damage they are showing on the news is blown out of proportion and the answer is no.  The damage to the island is catastrophic people are unable to get on and off except by boat or helicopter we have a friend staying with us now who was on Sanibel Island the water came up to the second story of their house.

Glad you and your wife are OK Aaron.

Hurricane Charley's eye passed about 4 miles from my house down in Charlotte County in 2004. I will agree that the photos and videos shown on the news don't even come close to showing what happened. Or how badly people are affected. It's sad, it's depressing, it leaves many people hopeless and distraught. And it's something that will forever be burned into the minds of anyone who experienced it. God bless you and all of the good people affected by Ian.

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2022, 05:39:46 PM »
i thought the storm had passed over us, realizing it was just the eye when the rain and wind picked up again was a chilling moment.

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2022, 07:12:12 AM »
i thought the storm had passed over us, realizing it was just the eye when the rain and wind picked up again was a chilling moment.

I remember when Charley, Frances and Jeanne all impacted me when I was living in Valrico, FL.  I don't remember which one it was that took out the water line, some roof shingles, and bottom walls of our stilt home, but I do remember going out while the eye was over our house to the street with a couple of wrenches to turn off the county water line.  We lived on a lake and the access to it was about a foot underwater and I kept feeling around for the water meter and shutoff valve, hoping not to encounter a water moccasin or something worse.  Then the eye passed and I wondered why I even moved to Florida.  I felt very fortunate our damage was so limited compared to others.

Now, years later, perhaps in part because I am old and worry a lot more, I was almost in panic mode seeing Ian change course and heading towards Lakeland where we currently live.  To me, part of the scariest effects hit while the hurricane is over and we are in total darkness without power. 

We were fortunate that our damage here was limited to flattening several trees and a lot of cleanup from downed oak tree limbs.

I am too old to move again but am upgrading what I can afford to against hurricanes.

All the best to those who suffered the wrath of Ian and stay safe and patient during the rebuilding process.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2022, 11:49:43 AM »
Glad to hear some of TFF people are safe my heart goes out to all you who were affected by this strong hurricane, hope you all are safe and alive :'(

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2022, 05:41:53 PM »
Although the hardest hit areas like Fort Myers Beach were totally flooded and reduced to piles of rubble and debris, this video gives you an idea of the impact on even the wealthiest enclaves of Naples.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf5nlcv2YZU
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 09:03:47 AM by johnb51 »
John

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2022, 08:05:47 PM »
Stake the tree the best you can if they are newly planted. I used some aluminum 3/8 solid square bar I had excess of that worked on my thin 4-5' ox and makok sapodilla trees I got from fruitscapes 3 months ago. The makok snapped its tip off when the bamboo rotted on an average storm before Ian. The bar works well also to form stakes so you can straighten all the flopped over trees you didn't have long enough pieces to support the top of the tree. Used paracord looped through some 1/2 poly mainline about 8" to go around the trunk.  The aluminum Dragon fruit post didn't flinch through the storm, just did some pruning on them.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2022, 01:27:32 PM »
Downtown Fort Myers and marina.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wpVcbtbT7o
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2022, 06:22:42 PM »
John

bci801

• Tampa Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2022, 07:11:09 PM »
Military put in a "temporary" bridge which is open to traffic Wednesday PM (10/5). They are getting food and water into the island.  Electricity will take longer.  No word on when they will let civilians in to help with clean up.  The state is talking about bringing in barges to clear debris off Pine Island.

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2022, 06:39:50 AM »
Military put in a "temporary" bridge which is open to traffic Wednesday PM (10/5). They are getting food and water into the island.  Electricity will take longer.  No word on when they will let civilians in to help with clean up.  The state is talking about bringing in barges to clear debris off Pine Island.

My understanding is that barges and boat traffic is challenging anywhere near the island as there is so much debris both above and below the water line.  Just clearing that out is going to be difficult around the entire area as a lot of the debris is simply too heavy and cumbersome to lift and remove by hand. 

I also wonder how even planting new trees will be affected in areas where salt water sat from the storm surge that worked its way into the ground.  I would think it would at least take a period of rain to dilute the salts out of the ground, not to mention what all that salt water will do to the trees and vegetation that were just sitting in it.  Hopefully the groves did not get flooded or that flooding was minimal.

Jake

• US flordia cape coral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2022, 01:04:16 AM »
 Was able to text Jabba on Tuesday, he and his wife are ok. Like most of us in the area, phone and internet are very poor or non-existent. We got power back in my neighborhood a couple days ago and internet a few hours ago. The damage this evil storm caused is astronomical, I am very surprised the number of casualties is not much higher.