Author Topic: 24 hours of light  (Read 743 times)

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
24 hours of light
« on: December 30, 2022, 04:49:49 AM »
Does anyone know the effects of having 24 hours of light on a citrus plant (100 watt lightbulb) when keeping them warm in the winter?  The normal day/night cycle obviously is thrown off.

Unicycle Mike

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: 24 hours of light
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 06:40:53 AM »
I have grown a lot under 20 hour daycycles. It never gave me any problem. I'd say 24 hrs would be fine

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 03:00:26 PM »
Trees perform important respiratory functions at night and should have at least 6 hours of darkness per day, and more mature plants at least 8-10 hours a day.  Respiration is an import and vital function for all trees.

Enigmius

• Texas, mansfield, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 03:42:04 PM »
Could try green bulbs.
Plants do not utilize the green portion of the visible light spectrum as much as it does on the red or blue/violet end.
So theoretically, a green bulb would disturb the plant less than a white, red, or blu/violet bulb would.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 04:52:34 PM »
I am running 24 hours light On some of my pepper trees and they are doing the best

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 11:27:09 PM »
Could try green bulbs.
Plants do not utilize the green portion of the visible light spectrum as much as it does on the red or blue/violet end.
So theoretically, a green bulb would disturb the plant less than a white, red, or blu/violet bulb would.

Plants are green because they do not use green light.  Putting green light on a plant will not give it the energy it needs to grow.  Citrus needs to rest.  Long term exposure to 24 hour light is harmful.