Author Topic: Copper Fungicide - too much?  (Read 954 times)

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
Copper Fungicide - too much?
« on: January 30, 2023, 10:19:48 AM »
I mixed 4 ounces of Bonide copper fungicide with 1 gallon of water to spray my mango trees. My homedepot sprayer kept getting clogged, so i disconnected the wand and sprayed.
This is what I saw after things dried up. I wondered if i sprayed too much copper and that would cause leaf burn. What do you think? Thanks.

Edit: There's some existing leaf burn, and if i recall correctly, it's been there since I bought it.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 10:24:46 AM by fruitnoob »
Tom

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Copper Fungicide - too much?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 12:42:35 PM »
I used copper fungicide that was already in a spray bottle when I bought it that left similar residue but wasn't a problem, granted I haven't used the bonide version but if that's what the bottle says it should be fine
instagram @trumansacco

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 12:45:18 PM »
Any time I have ever sprayed liquid copper there was a similar film on the foliage. Never caused any problems but did control the disease.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 02:01:29 PM »
 Too much. dilute it and spray more strategically. It looks like that tree needs a few more seasons to grow before you let it hold more than a handful of mangos and I wouldn't think it was necessary to spray copper on the tree until its of a size that it should be " in production". Also, I personally don't use copper until the threat of anthracnose is near. As in hot humid and rainy, the cool dry weather is when Powdery mildew sneaks in. one day you are good and the next all of your susceptible trees are devastated. 

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 02:52:43 PM »
Read label!  1oz/gal Southern AG brand i have is actually too much.
Do instructions say 4oz or 4 tablespoons?
I'd blast it off asap if too much.

Ed

Edit- copper i use leaves blue/green not white spots.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 02:54:36 PM by EddieF »

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 07:37:17 PM »
Thank you all.

@EddieF: The stuff that I bought - pics below, did not have dosage for mango trees. I recall reading somewhere and people used 2-6 ounces of this stuff, so i went with 4 ounces/gallon. To play safe, I used a garden hose to blast off the residue from the trees that I sprayed.

@mangomongo: so i only spray if I expect my mango trees to fruit? Even if my young trees show sign of anthracnose, and they are not expected to fruit, do I wait to spray until they are expected to fruit?
Edit: the answer appears to be yes, if I understand correctly your response in another thread about spraying vs. not spraying.

Thanks again, everyone.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 08:54:32 PM by fruitnoob »
Tom

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 09:32:48 AM »
Fruitnoob, i read their lit & ounces they suggest is for 3 gallons.  That's much more reasonable.
Also notice they say to strain it.  I'd call them just for kicks to ask what's being strained out.
Maybe the white residue?

Ed

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 10:02:32 AM »
@EddieF: I've just called Bonide, and the person who answered the call said this product was not recommended for mango trees. He said if a fruit tree is not listed on the label, don't apply the product to it.
Since this product can be used as dust or spray, straining the stuff will make sure the copper is properly mixed in the water, and yes to prevent the white residue.

For powdery mildew and anthracnose prevention for mango trees, the Bonide person recommended Captain Jack's Neem oil.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:04:47 AM by fruitnoob »
Tom

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 11:06:26 AM »
As mentioned in here before, be very careful about the time of day and amount of Neem oil you apply to your tree, lest you burn the hell out of your leaves.  Been there, done that. 

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 07:41:26 PM »
As mentioned in here before, be very careful about the time of day and amount of Neem oil you apply to your tree, lest you burn the hell out of your leaves.  Been there, done that.

Acknowledged. Thanks.
Tom

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 07:52:49 PM »
I think I use about a tablespoon of Nordox 75 per gallon of water on my Keitts recently...

I should probably do it a few more times this winter/spring as die back/ fungus appears to be less of a problem for the Keitts if I spray more often.

Many other brands of copper that stay on the leaves/stems for a longer period of time than the blue Boninel But they all cost more.

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 08:07:18 PM »
@palmcity: Interesting to know about other brands of copper vs Bonide, which get pretty good reviews on Amazon. I was going to go with Southern Ag brand, as it is available at local ACE hardware.
I did not do any spraying last year - I was clueless about growing fruit trees besides buying and putting them in ground, and i had quite a bad case of anthracnose and powdery mildew on my fruiting Kiew Yai. At that time i thought the anthracnose was from the freeze, and powdery mildew was from the spiders. lol
Tom