Author Topic: Fruit haul in Da Nang  (Read 675 times)

ben mango

• View Profile
Fruit haul in Da Nang
« on: March 21, 2023, 12:22:38 AM »
The maprang are extremely good. Exceeded my expectations. The mangoes on the bottom left have the thinnest seed I’ve ever encountered and the taste is phenomenal. Now I know why they were pricier than all the other varieties. The mangosteens were pricy at about $8 per kg. The longans are just ok. Still not sure if any of these are Cat chu mangoes. They all seem different than what we know as Cac. Sugar apple 8/10. very content with what I’m finding here in Da Nang

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 12:25:02 AM by ben mango »

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit haul in Da Nang
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 02:38:32 AM »
Ben,
Are these prices USD $?

I’m surprised that they are this high for Vietnam but it sure does look delicious!  You scored.  Enjoy

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 04:54:38 AM »
Yes. Keep in mind these are considered out of season mangosteen, the people with them can charge a premium. I found someone selling durian, already packaged for around $10 for 1.5 lb of fruit, but again out of season prices

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 09:40:44 AM »
Nice. I had some very good maprang in January while in Penang. I’m pretty sure it had come from Thailand. It was pricey at 35rm kg.
I now have some germinated seeds for this slow grower.
How different is that mango from what is called Manilla?  There’s a very good mango in Mexico that looks like that and the seed is super thin.
Peter

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 10:56:16 AM »
yooooo , stoked! nice haul.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 03:40:09 AM »
Hey Peter, glad to hear you’ve got maprang growing now. these small mangoes overall have a different taste than Manila, similar but they have a stronger flavor. Also more orange on the exterior, and more fragrant. In Hawaii the old seedling trees produce a similar fruit, at least in size but they are stringy and have a bigger seed. These are fiberless. Now have been to the 3 main markets in Da Nang and I still have yet to find anything that resembles what we know as Cac in the states. It’s leads me to believe that what people think is Cac is actually something totally different.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 05:07:51 AM by ben mango »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 08:11:08 AM »
I was in Florida a couple weeks ago, and at the Vietnamese market they had several boxes of imported mangoes. Many cultivars were available, but none of the boxes indicated Cat Chu.

I spoke with the purveyor and he indicated Cat Chu is late season and would not be available for some time.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 06:56:56 AM »
I can confirm that I was finding cat chu mango at the markets. Went to a super market today that had mangoes labeled “cat chu” - tried some , and they definitely taste different than ‘cac.’ They might have some similar genetics but I can say with confidence that these are different from one another. Sure there can be some variability depending on where they are grown but to me the differences are too far apart to think that they are the same. The fruit shape is different and the taste is way different.

The riper ones from an open market, the green ones being from the super market. Can tell they are the same

Heres a Cac from tropical acres that shows the difference in shape, fatter mango and less elongated. Flesh is more pale yellow

Can’t really assume what someone says is correct until you go and find out for yourself. Varietal names are repeatably mislabeled and this seems to be a prime example.

Now for the taste test on this nice yellow fleshed durian

« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 07:09:11 AM by ben mango »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk