Author Topic: The Reed avocado thread  (Read 28070 times)

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
Re: The Reed avocado thread
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 10:09:44 AM »
ok, thanks guys for the info! I'll check them out and see if I can get one!  ;D

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2015, 09:46:37 PM »
I wanted to resurrect this old post instead of starting a new one. Reed is absolutely one of the best tasting avocados in SoCal. I have one that is going in the ground soon. I know they are tall and skinny trees but how wide do they get?

Bill

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 03:01:42 AM »
Where can I get a reed tree in Florida?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 09:17:59 AM »

I can send you bud wood from my tree at the grove.

Joe.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 09:25:21 AM »
I may get to taste if if the tree can hold on to the fruit it set. It does have a history in South Florida with a picking date of December 10. I'm not sure why they stop growing it commercially.

http://www.myavocadotrees.com/reed-avocado.html
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 10:08:28 AM »
I may get to taste if if the tree can hold on to the fruit it set. It does have a history in South Florida with a picking date of December 10. I'm not sure why they stop growing it commercially.

http://www.myavocadotrees.com/reed-avocado.html

I talked to Dr. Carlos Balerdi (retired) who told me they gave up on it in Florida because the fruit tends to be small.  PIN also gave up on it regarding sales. Talk to Jim.

One I have in the greenhouse set fruit this year, very few but that may have been due to our VERY shady, rainy winter/spring El Nino event.  The Reed is very vigorous and bloomed very late, probably weather related.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 10:11:13 AM »
I wanted to resurrect this old post instead of starting a new one. Reed is absolutely one of the best tasting avocados in SoCal. I have one that is going in the ground soon. I know they are tall and skinny trees but how wide do they get?

Bill

Depends on how you prune/shape them, whether you tip (top) or not.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »
I haven't found Reed to be exclusively tall and skinny despite its reputation.  One of the ones I planted actually is actually wider than it is tall (it's still small, but probably 5-6 feet wide but only 4 feet tall).  We haven't pruned it at all.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2015, 10:33:01 AM »

I can send you bud wood from my tree at the grove.

Joe.

Awesome!  I will work on rootstocks and get back with you in the early fall
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2015, 11:06:04 AM »
I haven't found Reed to be exclusively tall and skinny despite its reputation.  One of the ones I planted actually is actually wider than it is tall (it's still small, but probably 5-6 feet wide but only 4 feet tall).  We haven't pruned it at all.

Same here,  but then again I'm keeping mine below 10' which causes it to branch.  In 3 years since I grafted it received about 4 "haircuts".

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2015, 05:23:53 PM »
Trees get shape from the root stock as well. Specially high.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2015, 01:13:48 AM »
My plan is to let it get up to twenty feet tall and try to keep it to eight to ten feet wide.  Is that realistic?

Bill

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2015, 01:47:07 AM »
My plan is to let it get up to twenty feet tall and try to keep it to eight to ten feet wide.  Is that realistic?

Bill

Bill,
Yes, that is realistic.
Literature on Reed says it gets to about 15 feet tall and spreads 8 to 12 feet wide in SoCal.
Warren

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »
Thanks Warren.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2015, 02:14:34 PM »
Looking onto my Reed I planted out last year, it's 6 ft tall and pushing 8 ft wide.
Prune to shape! Leave the vertical leader and don't top.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2017, 01:45:36 PM »
Hello all, I'm delighted my grafted reed branch is loaded with fruits. Bloom was from maybe December last year, and I am really uncertain when is suitable harvest time for reasonable oil content and flavor? I've heard August - September for harvest, but reading this...

Reed is one of my faves too, if, allowed to hang on the tree at least 16 months.   

...am I one year too early?? Having no prior experience with reed, the fruits definitely still look small 9 months after bloom. Do I need to wait until May NEXT YEAR?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:59:59 PM by funlul »
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2017, 02:17:09 PM »
Yes, you need to wait about 10+ more months.  I will start eating them next May and they ripen here maybe a bit earlier than most places in CA.  My reeds are about the size of tennis balls currently.  They should be more like a grapefruit or softball size and then they still need many months to get the oil up.  Last year my reeds were about 1lb 13oz in April
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:19:13 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2017, 02:26:12 PM »
Yes, you need to wait about 10+ more months.  I will start eating them next May and they ripen here maybe a bit earlier than most places in CA.  My reeds are about the size of tennis balls currently.  They should be more like a grapefruit or softball size and then they still need many months to get the oil up.  Last year my reeds were about 1lb 13oz in April

Thank you!! Good to know before I waste 'em!! Mine are about tennis ball size too.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2017, 07:55:57 PM »

Would you think reed will still thin its fruits from now on? Branch is heavily loaded already, if the fruits will gain weight significantly I'd worry about support.  ???

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2017, 08:54:33 PM »
My Reed continues to drop occasionally all year, but from now in August it doesn't shed many. Last year this month, I thinned about 15 fruit from one branch rather than support it. Reeds get so big and heavy that they'll really bend down branches. That means sunburn where I live. But I regret it. I miss those 15 Reeds now
gregalder.com/yardposts/

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2017, 09:25:32 PM »
My trees have been dropping fruit the last month.  Had to up my watering lately to every 4th day.
Brad Spaugh

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2017, 10:18:31 PM »
My young tree dropped all.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2017, 12:02:37 AM »
Same here, but it's in a pot (25 gallon, a good 10 feet tall, trunk about 1.5 inch thick) and took a beating with some of the winds we had in April and then some of the heat we've had, so... on the whole I'm pleased with it and trying to get it to become more bushy. Planning to put it in the ground this fall.

My avocado trees that hold onto fruit have their Avos hidden under leaves. The trees that have them out in the open al end up dropping the fruit or losing then to the elements.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2017, 07:36:32 AM »
Would you think reed will still thin its fruits from now on? Branch is heavily loaded already, if the fruits will gain weight significantly I'd worry about support.  ???

This year's heavy fruit set are dropping like rain, can't figure it out.  Tree is very healthy with plenty of foliage.  About 10' tall.  I started with about 100 on the tree with the March blossom set and am probably down to about 20 still hanging on. 

Now.......last year's fruit set is unreal.  We've been eating super rich Reeds since May.  Have about 8 or so still hanging on the tree.  May sound strange but they are getting so rich that leaving them on another month would be bad.  The fruit stands on its own and shouldn't be ruined with a lot of "stuff".  We like it sliced with a small squirt of key limes and S/P.  On sandwiches, guacamole', whatever.....it is just over the top in all respects.

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
Mark, I thought I was a big fan of Reeds, but you win.
gregalder.com/yardposts/