Author Topic: Why are my mandarin grafts struggling?  (Read 729 times)

Travillion

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix (Zone 9b)
    • View Profile
Why are my mandarin grafts struggling?
« on: June 09, 2023, 06:10:30 PM »
In March I grafted 5 varieties on to 10 sour orange seedlings. All of them succeeded, and most are going really well. My Rio Red grapefruit, navel orange, and valencia orange broke early and have taken off. My minneola tangelo and daisy seedless mandarins were the last to break and grow. As summer has started here in Phoenix, most of my young grafts are tolerating things okay, but my two daisy mandarin trees are really struggling. They are doing the taco curled leaves. At first I thought it must be a pest because they are getting watered daily and are in a fast draining mix. But the more time I've spent, the more I wonder if it's a watering issue. I pulled one of the mandarins out of its pot this morning. The mix is moist but was not soggy or clumpy. The roots looked good and their were several white tips, which I believe are new root growths. Are daisy mandarins just more heat sensitive than other varieties? Or perhaps since they broke last, they didn't harden off as well as their siblings? Or is this pest damage? The leaves aren't crispy and aren't falling off. Temps are hitting 100F daily and they are in morning sun and afternoon shade.
I'll post pics as soon as I can figure out how.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9UkGmmqrqyjBUsvU6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TGuNuNGhyetgwxDn6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CcyTrj3oBm2ZBUnD8
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 06:14:45 PM by Travillion »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Why are my mandarin grafts struggling?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 10:06:07 PM »
The curled leaves is the plant trying its best to protect itself from the intense heat and sun.  Some shading will help greatly.  Also check to insure that the tree is getting enough water.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 10:23:27 PM »
I would baby them as Millet has suggested. If that does not work, you may have a slight graft incompatibility issue. From what I have read mandarins are typically compatible with sour orange, but there are exceptions.

Travillion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 12:21:41 AM »
The curled leaves is the plant trying its best to protect itself from the intense heat and sun.  Some shading will help greatly.  Also check to insure that the tree is getting enough water.

I would baby them as Millet has suggested. If that does not work, you may have a slight graft incompatibility issue. From what I have read mandarins are typically compatible with sour orange, but there are exceptions.

Thank you both! I pulled them out of direct sun today. They will only get shade from now on. I check the water frequently and I keep the mix moist. It's strange to me that it is only my mandarins going through this. Should the leaves open back up if conditions improve, or will they stay that way forever? I saw a YouTube video that said once leaves curl, they don't uncurl. But you know, YouTube.....

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 10:57:11 AM »
Curled up leaves usually stay that way no matter what you do. That's my experience on many fruits. But those trees still produce nice fruit and big yields. My persimmon always curls. Same for my Goldrush apple. Both produce every year and a big yield of full sized fruit.

Travillion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 11:06:36 AM »
Curled up leaves usually stay that way no matter what you do. That's my experience on many fruits. But those trees still produce nice fruit and big yields. My persimmon always curls. Same for my Goldrush apple. Both produce every year and a big yield of full sized fruit.

Good to know, thank you! I'll look for other signs of recovery then, like trunk turgor and new growth, rather than leaves uncurling.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 12:52:47 PM »
I didn't think of this earlier, but do you know if it is normal for this variety to have a cupped leaf? It is actually a characteristic of some citrus varieties to do that: Orlando Tangelo for example.

Travillion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 03:56:34 PM »
I didn't think of this earlier, but do you know if it is normal for this variety to have a cupped leaf? It is actually a characteristic of some citrus varieties to do that: Orlando Tangelo for example.
That's a good question, I don't know if it is normal. These are my first mandarin trees and in my preparation, I never read anything to suggest they were naturally cupping. Even so, some of this cupping does seem extreme. I'm inclined to trust Millet that it is weather stress.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2023, 05:29:52 PM »
That's a good question, I don't know if it is normal. These are my first mandarin trees and in my preparation, I never read anything to suggest they were naturally cupping. Even so, some of this cupping does seem extreme. I'm inclined to trust Millet that it is weather stress.

Hi Travillion, here is a link I found that mentions folded leaves of the DaisySL Mandarin, with pictures of the foliage that show the leaves are somewhat folded. So, I wouldn't worry too much but it's a good idea that you moved it to a shady spot. Good luck!

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/crc4203
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 05:31:34 PM by Calusa »

Travillion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2023, 05:19:46 PM »
Hi Travillion, here is a link I found that mentions folded leaves of the DaisySL Mandarin, with pictures of the foliage that show the leaves are somewhat folded. So, I wouldn't worry too much but it's a good idea that you moved it to a shady spot. Good luck!

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/crc4203

Wow, great find! I've actually read that page many times when I was deciding which mandarin variety to graft, but the appropriate sections didn't stand out to my inexperienced eyes. Thank you!