Author Topic: Does anyone own this book? Is it worth it?  (Read 360 times)

trianglegardens

• Florida
    • View Profile
Does anyone own this book? Is it worth it?
« on: April 16, 2024, 12:38:45 PM »
I tried to find the original blue version of this book that’s printed in English, but couldn’t find it anywhere.

Fruits of Brazil by Harri Lorenzi is only sold in English via Apple e-book.

Does anyone own this book?

I attached a photo of the cover of the book at the bottom of this post.

Would you recommend it?

Thanks y’all✌️

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone own this book? Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 01:44:42 PM »
I have it in Portuguese, which I also speak so it was an acceptable purchase.

It's a fantastic book with photos of the trees in nature full size, the fruits, leaves, and flowers. It will not give you any advice that is revolutionary to growing the species, but it is an amazing coffee table book that you can use to show people the fruits you're chasing down, or give you inspiration for a new species you want to get for your yard.

It is by far the most I have ever spent on a book, and in the end I think it was worth it. I paid $120 delivered.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 02:25:15 AM »
It's a fantastic book with photos of the trees in nature full size, the fruits, leaves, and flowers. It will not give you any advice that is revolutionary to growing the species, but it is an amazing coffee table book that you can use to show people the fruits you're chasing down, or give you inspiration for a new species you want to get for your yard.

It is by far the most I have ever spent on a book, and in the end I think it was worth it. I paid $120 delivered.

I paid close to the same amount as K-Rimes did, Triangle, and agree with him that it's a very useful and thorough book.

Even though it is in Portuguese many of the fruit and plant descriptions use similar terms for explanation so with the help of a translator it becomes gradually easier to understand a good bit of what's being described once you've memorized a dozen or so of the most commonly used desciptive words and phrases.

The photography and the grids showing the size of the fruits are also most helpful. 

I recommend this book highly.

Good luck finding a copy (of either version).  BTW, the english-language version with the blue cover seems to be essentially out of print.  The portuguese edition is a more recent publication and contains some fruits that weren't included in the earlier english-language edition.

Paul M.
==

Cablebeach

• North West Australia, Z11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 07:09:15 PM »
I along with the rest of the world have been look for the Blue covered book ever since watching Adam from Flying Fox Fruits video 2 years ago. It finally popped up for sale in the UK a couple of days ago so I snapped it up. Felt like winning lotto😂 Just hoping it travels well across the ocean to me now….

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 08:41:31 PM »
I have the blue one here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk