Author Topic: Impulse buy Yuzu and some other pictures (updated with new pictures)  (Read 4503 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I went to OSH today to pick up a small bag of potting soil. Glanced over to check out the citrus and was surprised to see a Kaffir lime, looked at it though it was smaller and kind of stunted. I then looked right next to it and was surprised to see a nice healthy Yuzu!

Yuzu has been on my wanted list for quite some time, I instantly put the Yuzu in the cart and checked out. Price was a great deal $25.

Yuzu

Seedling Acai palm

Marama bean (Tylosema esculentum), ground nuts suppose to taste like smoked hickory cashews.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:35:27 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Impulse buy Yuzu and some other pictures.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:28:33 PM »
What is OSH? ???
John

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »
What is OSH? ???

Orchard Supply Hardware

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »
... another guy with a great camera!

Will you put the seedlings into the ground when
they get a bit bigger?

Fang

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:44:11 PM »
... another guy with a great camera!

Will you put the seedlings into the ground when
they get a bit bigger?

Fang

Going to keep the seedlings in containers, going to up the container size soon for the Acai and Marama bean. Marama bean would make a great edible nitrogen fixer for you Mango Fang, its extremely drought and heat tolerant. It has pretty foliage with creeping ground cover growth.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:21:34 AM »
Very nice find and nice looking tree, the price of Yuzu fruit can be $$$.  I have meant to get a scion from a friend of mine but keep forgetting when I visit.  I need to tie a string to my finger, he also has two different pummelos beside Chandler that I'd like to get.

my acai almost looks the same size,
-Ethan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:52:22 AM »
If you buy Yuzu at a big top store make sure it's the real article. I know that Wal Mart here was selling some trees as Yuzu that turned out to be a totally different citrus species.
Oscar
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 02:46:26 AM »
If you buy Yuzu at a big top store make sure it's the real article. I know that Wal Mart here was selling some trees as Yuzu that turned out to be a totally different citrus species.
Oscar

The tree is from Four Winds Growers, a good citrus propagator out here. I would of been wary otherwise, I am really excited on future fruits :). Acai palm is from seeds ordered from you :), I actually germinated this palm outdoors in the fall with an average temp around 60 degrees. Hoping perhaps its adapted to slightly cooler weather then the average Acai.

Ethan,

Is your Acai in the green house/indoors or outdoors (I intend to adapt mine outdoors eventually growing there all year round). The Acai has been babied under LED lights, in a perlite/vermiculite mix. However the humidity levels are only around 30% or so. BTW, I can't remember if I said I was going to send something your way.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 02:56:13 AM »
The tree is from Four Winds Growers, a good citrus propagator out here. I would of been wary otherwise, I am really excited on future fruits :). Acai palm is from seeds ordered from you :), I actually germinated this palm outdoors in the fall with an average temp around 60 degrees. Hoping perhaps its adapted to slightly cooler weather then the average Acai.

Ethan,

Is your Acai in the green house/indoors or outdoors (I intend to adapt mine outdoors eventually growing there all year round). The Acai has been babied under LED lights, in a perlite/vermiculite mix. However the humidity levels are only around 30% or so. BTW, I can't remember if I said I was going to send something your way.

Growing my acai outdoors. It likes some partial shade when little. I noticed in native areas that it grew in roadside ditches that were full of water. Can't remember it either about  you sending me something, so i guess you're off the hook.  ;)
Oscar
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 03:36:00 AM »

Ethan,

Growing my acai outdoors. It likes some partial shade when little. I noticed in native areas that it grew in roadside ditches that were full of water. Can't remember it either about  you sending me something, so i guess you're off the hook.  ;)
Oscar

Was talking to Ethan about sending him something, sometimes confusing with quoted stuff. Now I just need kaffir lime to finish the citrus collection off.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Impulse buy Yuzu and flowering/grow flush pictures.
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 04:35:37 AM »
Flowering and fruiting going crazy in the garden;

'Eversweet' pomegranate

'Holiday' avocado (new growth flush with flowers)

'Ken's Red' kiwi (flowering and flushing new growth)

Wax Jambu (growth flush)

'Dorsett Golden' apple (setting fruit)

Australian Finger Lime (flowering)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk